Frequently Asked Questions

Not finding what you need? Type your question in the Ask Wellington virtual assistant at the bottom right corner of this page or contact us directly.

Phone: (509) 963-1202

  • Benefits

    Health Insurance:

    Q: As a new employee, when does my insurance coverage begin?

    A: Health insurance begins the first of the month following the date of employment. If beginning employment the first working day of a month, insurance begins that date.

    Q: How do I know which medical and dental plans I'm enrolled in?

    A: You can check by logging into MyCWU and going to your Benefits Summary
    (Employee Tab > Benefits > Benefits Summary)

    Q: How do I add or remove a family member on my insurance?

    A: Dependents can only be added or removed during Open Enrollment in November unless you've added a new child, spouse, or your dependent has lost their coverage. Submit enrollment form (PDF) and dependent verification documents to Human Resources within 60 days of the qualifying event. Visit the PEBB website for more information.

    Q: When/How do I obtain my insurance card?

    A: You should receive your medical and dental insurance cards within a couple weeks of submitting your enrollment paperwork. If necessary, contact the provider to request your card:

    *Please Note: DeltaCare does not send cards, but you can print one from their website.

    Q: When can I change my medical and/or dental plan?

    A: You can change your medical and/or dental plans during Open Enrollment which occurs every November and takes effect the following January of the new year. You may also change your medical and dental plans during a Special Open Enrollment if a qualifying event occurs (e.g., marriage, childbirth, divorce, etc.).

    Q: Will my health insurance continue while on I'm on cyclic leave?

    If you work at least nine months out of the year, your health insurance will continue during your cyclic leave. You are responsible to ensure your employee premiums are paid during months in which you are not receiving a paycheck.

    If you work less than nine months out of the year, your health insurance will only continue if you pay the employee and employer premiums. Contact HR to ensure continuation of benefits.

    Q: Where/How do I view my Health Savings Account (HSA)?

    A: If you enrolled in a CDHP, you can login and view your Health Savings Account (HSA) at HealthEquity.

    Q: How do I add funds to my Health Savings Account (HSA)?

    A: Submit the Health Savings Account (HSA) Change Form (PDF) to Human Resources at mail stop 7425 or

    Q: How do I learn more about my life insurance plan?

    You can learn about Central’s life insurance plan by visiting the Life Insurance page. Alternatively, you can visit the MetLife website. For more information, you can contact MetLife at (866) 548-7139.

    NOTE: If you visit the MetLife website, you will need to type “PEBB Washington State” as the provider for group benefits.

    Q: What is the employer code for Navia?

    A: SWA

    Q: How do I obtain a debit card for the FSA (Flexible Spending Arrangement)?

    A: Contact Navia’s customer service team at 1-800-669-3539.

    Q: How do I change my address with my insurance plan?

    A: Change your address in MyCWU and the change will feed to insurance plans.



    Q: How do I know which retirement plan I’m enrolled in?

    A: You can check by logging into MyCWU and going to your Benefits Summary
    (Employee Tab > Benefits > Benefits Summary)

    Q: How do I rollover my retirement funds to an IRA?

    A: After separation, contact you retirement vendor to begin the rollover process:

    • Fidelity: 800-343-0860
    • TIAA: 800-842-2776
    • Department of Retirement Systems (DRS): 800-547-6657

    Q: How soon can I retire?

    A: Retirement eligibility depends on the plan in which you’re enrolled:

    • PERS1 or TRS1: Employees may retire at any age with 30 years of service OR at age 55 with 25 years of service OR at age 60 with 5 years of service
    • PERS2 or TRS2: Employees may retire at age 55 with 20 years of service OR at age 65 with 5 years of service
    • PERS3 or TRS3: Employees may retire at age 55 with 10 years of service OR at age 65 with 5 years of service
    • CWURP: Employees may retire at age 55 with 10 years of service or at age 62

    Q: What do I need to do to retire in the next two years?

    A: There is a Retirement Checklist available.

    Q: How do I enroll in/change/stop Deferred Compensation?

    A: Visit the Deferred Compensation Program website.

    Q: How do I enroll in/change/stop the Voluntary Investment Plan?

    A: Log in or Register online at Fidelity, find the CWU VIP, and enter the amount you want to contribute from each paycheck or stop your contribution.

    Q: How do I update my beneficiaries?

    A: Beneficiaries may be changed online:


    Eligibility (Temp and Adjunct Faculty):

    Q: Are temporary/hourly employees eligible for benefits?

    A: Temp/hourly employees are not typically eligible for benefits; however, you may become eligible if you work an average of 80 hours per month for six consecutive months. (In this scenario, you are enrolled in benefits on the first day of the seventh month.)

    NOTE: Supervisors may NOT reduce temp/hourly employee hours or terminate employment for the sole purpose of preventing someone from becoming eligible for benefits.

    Q: Do I receive benefits as an adjunct faculty member?

    A: Faculty holding less than a full academic year appointment are eligible for employer provided insurance beginning the second consecutive quarter with faculty employment of at least 50% of full time. Once established, insurance coverage continues as long as faculty work half-time or more.



    Q: How do I sign up to continue my health insurance after separation? (COBRA)

    A: Information to continue health insurance coverage is available through the Health Care Authority (HCA) for those separating from the university. Retiree Coverage is also available through the HCA.

  • Classification (Civil Service)

    Q: How do I know what my current classification (title) is?

    A: Log in to MyCWU and type your name into the directory found on the homepage.

    Q: How do I request a position audit/reclassification (civil service)?

    A: Civil service employees may request a position audit by completing the Position Review Request form and submitting it to HR. Your request needs to include a current organization chart. We highly recommend discussing the situation with your supervisor prior to submitting a request.

    NOTE: Be aware that a review may result in no action, reallocation upward, or reallocation downward. More work does not necessarily mean higher-level work; therefore, a Position Review Request based solely on the volume of work will most likely result in no action.

  • Compensation

    Q: Do civil service employees receive regular pay increases?

    A: Yes. Civil service employees receive salary increases on their periodic increment date (PID) until they reach the top of their salary range. NOTE: PIDs are based on hire date and starting salary and are established by Washington State.

    If you have questions about your PID, contact your supervisor or HR Partner.

    Annual across-the-board increases may also be granted depending on approval of the university. NOTE: When across-the-board Increases are granted, they are typically effective on July 1, the start of the new fiscal year.

    Q: Do exempt employees receive regular pay increases?

    A: Annual across-the-board increases may be granted depending on approval of the university. NOTE: When across-the-board Increases are granted, they are typically effective on July 1, the start of the new fiscal year.

  • Disability Accommodations for Staff and Faculty

    Q: How do I request a reasonable accommodation?

    A: Send documentation of your disability to Human Resources at MS 7425 or first floor Mitchell Hall, submit an Employee Request for Reasonable Accommodation, and then call HR at (509) 963-1202 to schedule an appointment.

  • Ethics

    Q: May I use Mail Services for my personal outgoing/incoming mail?

    A: You may use Mail Services to deliver personal, stamped mail to the Post Office. You may not place personal mail in Mail Services box without a stamp. First Class mail has a per piece cost associated with it that is charged back to your department.

    Although it's tempting to have personal mail and packages delivered to your CWU work station, especially during the holidays, university employees, may never have personal packages delivered to work.

    Q: May I use the CWU WiFi on my personal cell phone?

    A: CWU provides free WiFi for visitors, students, potential students and their families. Because WiFi is available to the general public, employees may also use the cwu-public network for personal use. Of course, using work time for personal activities must meet the de minimis rule (limited and occasional and must not cost the university money or interfere with work).

    Q: Is it okay that CWU employees are running an office pool on the Seahawk game?

    A: No! Gambling in state offices is illegal. A betting pool, where the person closest to predicting Sunday’s final Seahawks score wins a pot of money is gambling.

    Q: May I use my office phone or email to make personal appointments?

    A: Generally, yes. Although state telephones and computers are provided primarily for university business, you may use your devise for a small amount of personal communication to meet the demands of daily living. Employee use must be limited and occasional and must not cost the university money or interfere with work. For example, an employee may use a university telephone or computer to make a doctor's appointment or a lunch date, check in with family members, or arrange for transportation. Note, however, individual supervisors and departments may have more strict policies on telephone and email use for reasons related to specific work situations.

    Q: May I use the internet for personal reasons on a break or lunchtime?

    A: Generally yes. Never to make commercial purchases. Not on a regular basis. Must meet the de minimis rule (limited, occasional and must not cost the university money or interfere with work).

    Q: May I use the government rate at hotels when not traveling for business?

    A: If the rate is offered to all government employees, whether or not they are on official business, then yes. If the hotel requires you to be on official business, then you cannot accept the government rate. To do so would be to use your official position to secure a special privilege.

    Q: Is it a violation of the ethics law for the Red Cross to sell first aid kits at our building’s safety fair?

    A: Not necessarily. If other organizations want to come in and hold a similar event, the university must allow them to do so. Otherwise, a special privilege has been given to the Red Cross.

    Q: What should I do if I see someone violate the law?

    A: There are several things you can do. First, you can talk with the employee and let them know you think they are violating the law. You can also notify the employee’s supervisor and let them deal with the situation. You can file a complaint with the state auditor under the Whistleblower Act, and finally, you can file a complaint with the Executive Ethics Board.

    Q: What should we do with thank you gifts given to our office?

    A: If the gift was truly given to the university, the ethics law does not apply. However, if the gift was given to an individual employee, that person may or may not be able to keep it depending on the relationship to the giver (i.e. a section 4 relationship).

    Q: May I sell charitable items in the workplace?

    A: If you’d like to sell items from your child’s charitable organization such as Girl Scout cookies or school fundraiser candy bars or magazines, the University President has approved this sort of activity as supporting our community and organizational effectiveness. It relates to a CWU’s mission and encompasses activities that enhance or augment our institutional ability to perform our mission. The Washington State Ethics Board recognizes that state agencies and institutions may allow employees to participate in activities that are not official state duties but promote organizational effectiveness by supporting a collegial work environment.

    Q: May employees listen to internet radio on their computers at work?

    A: At most state agencies, no. But because CWU provides free WiFi (cwu-public) for the general public, students, potential students and their families, CWU employees may use internet radio at their workstations. Note, however, individual supervisors and departments may have more strict policies music for specific reasons related to work situations.

    Q: What’s the bottom line on personal use of university resources?

    A: So long as the use is brief, infrequent, of little or no cost to the university, is not disruptive, does not support a private business, organization or group, the Washington State Ethics Board has said that a 'de minimis' use of state resources would not violate the ethics law.

    Q: What does 'occasional', 'brief' and 'infrequent' really mean?

    A: While these terms have not been formally defined, the Washington State Ethics Board has interpreted them to mean just that: the use is no more than once a day and lasts a few minutes, so long as there is no disruption to your work or to the work of others.

    Q: May I keep the door prize I won at a conference I attended?

    A: That depends. Assuming that the door prize was offered to all attendees, then if your attendance at the conference was paid by the university, the prize belongs to CWU. If you paid your own way to the conference, then you may keep the prize.

    Q: Why can’t we engage in fund raising for people who really need it?

    A: The Ethics in Public Service Act prohibits using state/university resources for private gain. While presidents and agency heads may deem soliciting for a specific charity is 'organizational effectiveness', it is not possible to support the pet charities of all state employees.

    Q: May I use my university computer to manage my state retirement account?

    A: Yes. The retirement account as well as the Deferred Compensation package are part of your benefits as a state employee. Accessing them will not violate the Ethics in Public Service Act.

    Q: What is a Section 4 Employee?

    A: If your duties include decisions about contracting or purchasing, the Section 4 gift restrictions apply to gifts from any current or potential future contractor or vendor. If your duties include regulating certain members of an industry, the Section 4 gift restrictions apply to gifts from those industries.

    Q: May a Section 4 Employee keep flowers from a customer?

    A: You may keep the flowers only if you can establish that you and the customer had a friendship outside of work.

    Q: How do we handle thank you gifts given to our office?

    A: If the gift was truly given to the university, the ethics law does not apply. However, if the gift was given to an individual employee, that person may or may not be able to keep it depending on the relationship to the giver (i.e. a Section 4 relationship).

    Q: What type of promotional items may a Section 4 Employee accept?

    A: Even if it’s from a vendor with whom you contract, a Section 4 Employee may keep promotional items of nominal value, such as pens, note pads, refrigerator magnets and similar items.

  • General

    Q: What are the pay periods?

    A: Each month is divided into two pay periods:

    1. 1st - 15th, with payday on the 25th
    2. 16th - 31st, with payday the 10th of the next month

    Q: When is payday?

    A: The 10th and 25th of each month.

    Q: How do I change my name?

    A: Please review the name change process.

    Q: How do I change my address?

    A: Logon to MyCWU and under the Employee tab, navigate to: Personal > Personal Details

  • Health and Safety
    Q: How do I report an accident?

    A: Report accidents by completing the online Accident Report on the Environmental Health & Safety website. Employees must include both their supervisor’s name and email address when completing the report so it will be routed to them. Questions? Email or call (509) 963-2252.

    Q: Am I supposed to report unsafe conditions even if no one has been injured?

    A: Yes! Reporting unsafe conditions may prevent someone from getting hurt. You can find the Unsafe Condition or Hazard form on the Environmental Health & Safety website. Questions? Email or call (509) 963-2252.

    Q: Where do I find Emergency Notifications?

    A: Emergency Notifications are posted when there is an active alert or when situations might disrupt normal operations.

  • Hiring

    Q: How do I hire a temporary/hourly employee?

    A: In most cases you can hire a temp/hourly employee from one of the current temp/hourly pools. To start the process and gain access to temp/hourly pools, contact Jennifer Ford, (509) 963-1253.

    Q: How do I rehire or extend a temporary/hourly employee?

    A: Temp/hourly employees may be rehired or extended using the Request Position Change process in MyCWU >> Manager Tab >> Manager Self Service.

    You must enter both the Position Number and Employee’s ID number. To ensure correct processing, be sure to include the following information in the Notes field:

    • Whether action is a rehire or extension
    • Effective date
    • End date

    NOTE: If the process is a rehire, you’ll need to include the Combination Code (Speed Key) and Rate of Pay.

    Questions? Contact Jennifer Ford, (509) 963-1253, or Joy Corbett, (509) 963-1260.

    Q: Why isn’t my temp employee showing on my dashboard?

    A: The most likely cause for a temp/hourly employee to fall off your dashboard is that their job has ended in MyCWU. In that case, you need to rehire them.

    Contact Jennifer Ford, (509) 963-1253, or Joy Corbett, (509) 963-1260 for assistance.

    Q: May I keep my student employee after they graduate?

    If students are no longer eligible for student employment, you need to terminate their student job and hire them as temp/hourly employees. If students have not worked for you before as temp/hourly employees, you will need to hire them from one of the existing pools.

    Contact Jennifer Ford, (509) 963-1253 or Joy Corbett, (509) 963-1260 for assistance.

    Q: What should be done with the search materials at the end of our search process?

    A: After a position has been filled, all search materials should be brought to HR.

  • I-9

    Q: What’s an I-9 and what do I have to do?

    A: The US Department of Homeland Security requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all employees via the Form I-9.

    Verification is a two-step process:

    1) Section One is completed online prior to your first day of work via MyCWU

    2) Section Two must be completed within three business days of the start of your employment, by presenting original, unexpired documentation (PDF) in person at the Human Resources Department in Mitchell Hall.

    Find more information: I-9 Information

    Q: Which documents are needed to verify my identity for the I-9?

    A: Please review the list of acceptable documents (PDF).

    Q: When will the ‘Employee’ tab appear in MyCWU?

    A: The ‘Employee’ tab should appear about 24 hours after the job has been accepted in the careers website. If your tab is not showing, contact the Service Desk at (509) 963-2001.

    Q: Where do international students complete the I-9?

    A: International students must complete the I-9 verification with the International Studies Office in Hebeler Hall. They can be reached at (509) 963-3612 or 3613.

    Q: Where do I obtain a birth certificate?

    A: Employees born in the state of Washington can obtain a certified birth certificate at the Public Health Department in Ellensburg.

    Q: May an expired passport be used as valid identification to complete the I-9?

    A: No, all acceptable documents must be up to date.

    Q: How is the I-9 completed from a remote location?

    A: Employees at remote campuses may complete their I-9 at the Human Resources Department on their campus. Call (509) 963-1202 if you need assistance or guidance.

  • Jobs

    Q: Where do I apply for a job at CWU?

    A: External candidates: Visit our Careers page to find our latest openings.

    Internal candidates: Within MyCWU > Employee > Careers

  • Labor Relations

    Q: How do I know if one of my employees is in a union?

    A: The quickest way is to go to your Manager tab in MyCWU and look at the “Manager Positions” table. Call Human Resources, (509) 963-1202, if you’re still unsure or have questions about represented employees.

    Q: How do I know if I’m in a union?

    There are a couple of ways you can check:

    • The position posting and your hire letter will indicate whether or not your position is represented.
    • You can view your paycheck in MyCWU to see if union dues are being withheld. (Employee Tab > Payroll > View Paycheck
    • You can look at your Homepage in MyCWU to see if you have Union Personal Days included on your Employee Leave Summary

    If you’re still not sure, contact Human Resources, (509) 963-1202.

    Q: Are temporary/hourly employees in unions?

    A: Temporary/hourly employees are not typically in a union; however, you may become represented if you work enough hours according to the specific provisions of the collective bargaining agreements. If temporary/hourly employees work enough hours to become represented employees, you will be contacted by a union representative.

  • Learning and Development

    Q: How do I find out about upcoming workshops?

    A: Log in to MyCWU > Learning Tab > Enter a keyword for the course in the Search box > Click the double arrow (Search) button

    Note: To locate required training, type the word "required" into the Search box.

    Note: Click Advanced Search link under the Search box to locate courses by Date or Category (Alphabetize category list by clicking on "Category" column title), and then click the Search button.

    Q: How do I register for an upcoming workshop?

    A: Log in to MyCWU > Learning Tab > Enter a keyword for the course in the Search box > Click the double arrow (Search) button > click on "Enroll"

    Note: View all new learning under the New Learning pagelet (far right side of the Learning dashboard)

    Q: How do I drop a workshop in MyCWU?

    A: Log in to MyCWU > Learning Tab > My Learning in the left-hand menu. Locate the course you want to drop, and click the corresponding Drop button. When asked if you're sure, click the Drop button.

    To refresh your dashboard, click the Learning Tab again.

    Q: How do I find online courses?

    A: Log in to MyCWU > Applications pagelet > click on "CLA Online (Percipio)" > follow one of these suggestions:

    • type a topic in the Search box at the top of the page

    Note: Once Search Results display, use the Filters on the left-hand side of the page to further refine the results. If you see the filter for Training Credits, click the "+" button (and then check the appropriate checkbox) to view assets that offer the type of Training Credit you chose (i.e. NASBA CPE, PMI PDU).

    • locate a topic by clicking on Library at the top of the page

    Q: What training is required for employees?

    A: Click on the link below to learn about specific required training for your job classification.

    Q: Why isn't the workshop I just completed showing on my Training Summary in MyCWU?

    Completed training displays in MyCWU only after a scheduled process runs (8:00am and again at 1:00pm, Monday thru Friday).

  • Leave

    Q: When do I accrue leave?

    A: In general, leave is accrued in any month in which an employee doesn’t have more than 10 days of leave without pay. This varies slightly depending on the specific language in collective bargaining agreements or applicable policy. Leave accrued during the month is available after the first day of the following month.

    Q: How much leave do I accrue?

    A: Classified staff working full time begin accruing vacation at 9.33 hours per month and increase to 16.67 hours per month at twenty-five years of service.

    Exempt staff working full time accrue 16.67 hours per month.

    All employees accrue 8.00 hours of sick leave per month.

    You can review your leave balances in MyCWU > Employee Tab > Report Time > Absence Balances

    Q: When can I use my vacation?

    A: Civil service and exempt employees may use vacation when it has accrued. Represented employees please refer to your CBA.

    Q: Can I use my sick leave for a family member’s medical appointment?

    Yes. However, exempt employees in the Non-Accrued Sick Leave Plan may not use sick leave for family member illnesses or appointments.

    Q: What are the holidays observed by Central?

    A: The University recognizes the following holidays:

    • New Year’s Day
    • Martin Luther King Day
    • President’s Day
    • Memorial Day
    • Juneteenth
    • Independence Day
    • Labor Day
    • Veterans Day
    • Thanksgiving (both Thanksgiving day and the Friday immediately following)
    • Christmas Day

    In addition, employees are eligible for personal holidays and two unpaid days off for Religious/Personal Conviction reasons. Represented civil service employees are also eligible for two personal leave days per fiscal year.

    Q: What if the holiday is on my regular day off?

    A: For non-represented civil service employees, supervisors will designate an alternate holiday (the day before or day after the observed holiday)

    NOTE: Alternately, supervisors may provide holiday equivalent time for the employee to use at a later time or allow the employee to request an alternate day within the pay period to observe the holiday.

    Represented civil service employees should consult their collective bargaining agreement, but in general they will have an alternate holiday designated by their supervisor, receive holiday equivalent time, or they will receive holiday equivalent pay.

    Q: Do I get paid extra if I have to work on a holiday?

    A: Overtime eligible civil service employees receive holiday premium pay for hours worked on a holiday.

    Q: Can I use my personal holiday for a partial day off?

    A: No. Personal holidays are used in full-day increments. An exception may occur when an employee receives back a portion of unused personal holiday that had been donated under the shared leave program.

    Q: Am I eligible for Bereavement Leave?

    Classified staff are entitled to five days of paid bereavement leave for family members to include child, spouse, parent, sibling, grandparent, grandchild, parent-in-law, and registered domestic partner.

    Exempt staff are entitled to ten days of paid bereavement leave for family members to include child, spouse, parent, grandparent, parent-in-law, and registered domestic partner.

    Q: Must exempt employees submit sick leave for a partial day absence?

    A: In most cases exempt employees either have periods when they work more than 40 hours in a week or have the ability to flex their hours in a week to cover an appointment. If not, it would be appropriate for an exempt employee to submit sick leave in order to properly decrement their sick leave benefit. Please note, under the FLSA, exempt employees must be paid their regular salary in any week in which they perform work. The submission of leave only has the effect of decrementing their leave benefit when it’s used.

    Q: What is FMLA?

    A: The Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is a federal law which provides up to 12 weeks of protected time off to eligible employees for their own or for a family member’s health or up to 26 weeks to care for covered service member. An employee must have worked for the university for at least 12 months and must have worked at least 1250 hours in the 12 month period preceding their absence to be eligible.

    Qualifying conditions are:

    • The birth of a son or daughter of the employee and in order to care for such son or daughter
    • Placement of a son or daughter with the employee for adoption or foster care
    • To care for the spouse, son, daughter, domestic partner, or parent of the employee, if such spouse, son, daughter, domestic partner, or parent has a serious health condition
    • Because of a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the functions of the position of such employee
    • To provide exigency leave arising from the fact that the spouse, son, daughter, or parent of the employee is on active duty or has been notified of an impending call to active duty in the Armed Forces in support of a contingency operation
    • To provide care for a covered service member who is suffering from a serious illness or injury incurred in the line of duty

    Q: Do I need FMLA if I have sick leave?

    A: Yes. FMLA is not the same as your accrued leave benefit and the law only requires employers to provide unpaid time off. The FMLA has the effect of protecting the paid or unpaid time off you take for a qualifying condition.

    Q: For the Washington Paid Family & Medical Leave (PFML), must the 820 hour eligibility be hours worked only at CWU?

    A: No, the 820 hours can be worked at any employer in the State of Washington.

    Q: Are faculty eligible for the Washington Paid Family & Medical Leave (PFML)?

    A: Faculty will be eligible as of September 1, 2020, at the end of their current negotiated contract.

    Q: Under Washington Paid Family & Medical Leave who is a “family member"?

    A: Spouse, Child, Parent and Parent-In-Law, Grandchild, Grandparent, and Sibling.

    Q: How do I apply for the Washington Paid Family & Medical Leave (PFML)?

    Please visit the ESD website

    Q: How are FMLA and the Washington Paid Family & Medical Leave different?

    A: FMLA is a federal program and PFML is an insurance program through the State of Washington.

    Q: Where can I find more about Washington Paid Family & Medical Leave (PFML)?

    A: Please visit the ESD website

  • Payroll

    Q: When is payday?

    A: CWU must follow the State of Washington Pay Dates Schedule. Typically, pay dates fall on the 10th and 25th of each month. Work performed between the 1st and 15th of a month, must be approved in a timely manner for payment on the 25th and work performed from the 16th to the end of the month, if approved in a timely manner, will be paid on the 10th of the following month.

    Q: How do I receive my pay?

    A: Central Washington University embraced the Governor’s directive to “go green” and encourages all employees to participate in electronic direct deposit of payment. Employees have the choice of receiving pay checks either electronically (by signing up for Direct Deposit in Self Service), or having their checks mailed. All new employees will receive a physical (paper) check, to be picked up in the cashier's office, for up to two paychecks to allow adequate time to choose between direct deposit and paper check.

    Please contact Payroll for the status of your direct deposit or to determine if a check was mailed or is waiting for pick up at the Cashier’s office.

    Q: How do I sign up for Direct Deposit?

    A: Electronic sign up can be completed by logging into MyCWU > click Employee Tab > Payroll folder (left side) > Direct Deposit and complete the requested information.

    Alternatively, there are paper direct deposit forms available in Human Resources, Mitchell Hall First Floor. Paper forms require a blank check (for a checking account) on which you have written “VOID” or you can contact your banking institution for saving account information. Savings deposit slips generally contain an internal routing number which can’t be used for direct deposit purposes.

    Q: What if my paycheck is short hours?

    A: Contact your supervisor or manager. If it is determined that you were not paid for all hours worked, the hours either need to be entered or approved. Once the hours are approved the resulting pay will be processed during the next payroll cycle. If the shortage will cause a hardship, your supervisor or manager may request a special paper check by completing the Notice to Payroll form found in Self Service via MyCWU. Payroll will communicate the check pick up date with your supervisor or manager.

    Q: What if I didn't receive a paycheck and should have?

    A: Contact your supervisor, so they may research the problem.

    Q: Where do I go to change the information on my W-4?

    A: Log into MyCWU, click on Employee Tab > Payroll folder (left side) > W-4 Tax Information. A paper W-4 is available in Human Resources, Mitchell Hall First Floor.

    Once completed, the change will take effect during the next payroll processing cycle. If you do not see the changes, please contact Payroll. *Please note: A W-4 is not necessary to change an address.

    Q: How do I change my name or address?

    A: Personal information may be updated on-line by logging into MyCWU, click on Employee Tab > Personal folder (left side) and select the item you which to update.

    *Please note: Employees initiating a name change MUST take their updated Social Security card to Human Resources. Per the Social Security Administration (SSA), the name on your social security card must match the name on your W-2.

    Q: Where do I take my I-9 form once I have completed?

    A: Visit the I-9 Information page for instructions and resources. Log into MyCWU > click Employee Tab > Personal folder (left side) > Complete and Submit I-9 Form (follow the instructions).

    Q: Where is Payroll located? What are the hours?

    A: Payroll is located in Mitchell Hall First Floor. Check in at the Front Desk. Office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

    I-1433 FAQs

    Starting January 1, 2018, employers are required to provide paid sick leave (SL) to most employees under Initiative 1433 (I-1433).

  • Rewards/Recognition

    Q: Can a university budget be used to reward and recognize employees for their work?

    A: Yes! Most University budgets can be used for rewards and recognition. RCW 41.60.150 gives us the authority to recognize employees, either individually or as a group, for accomplishments. Recognition awards may not exceed $200 in value per award. This limit also includes gifts and light refreshments. Complete information is available at the Rewards and Recognition page.

  • Student Employment - Student FAQs

    Q: How do I apply if I am a current student?

    A: MyCWU > Student Tab > Student Employment > On-Campus Jobs

    Q: How many hours can I work?

    A: Browse through our easy step-by-step tutorial that will help you determine how many hours per week you can work as a student.

    On-Campus Jobs
    Full-time students (those enrolled for at least 12 credits, 10 if a graduate student enrolled in a graduate degree program) can work up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session (if a PERS waiver form is submitted - see "Hiring Documents Packet" menu item at left for more information). This maximum includes all on-campus jobs combined. It also includes any off-campus Work-Study jobs. Off-campus private employment does not count in the maximum, you can work this type of employment as much as you wish. Full-time students can work up to 40 hours per week during official school breaks providing they are pre-registered for at least half-time credits during the term immediately following the break.

    Students enrolled for 6-11 credits (5-9 for students in a graduate degree program) can work up to 69 hours per MONTH (about 15 hours per week) on-campus. This maximum includes all on-campus jobs combined. This limit also applies during official school breaks.

    Off-Campus Jobs
    Students may work off-campus as many hours as they wish (except in Work-Study jobs). Students who work the maximum number of hours on-campus may also work off-campus if they need additional employment.

    Full-time students working off-campus through the Work-Study Program are limited to no more than 19 hours per week (including any on-campus jobs they might have).

    Q: How much can I earn?

    A: There is no limit on the dollar amount you can earn (except through the Work-Study program). The maximum number of hours you can work on-campus is 20 hours per week if enrolled full time.

    Q: When do I get paid?

    Note: Work-Study Personnel Action Forms (WSPAF) are placed on the payroll according to the approval date, not the date received.

    On Campus Jobs
    Students are paid twice per month, on the 10th and 25th. If your hiring documents are received by Student Employment after the first day of the Pay Period in which you begin work, your first pay check will be delayed by one pay date.

    • Pay Period: 1st - 15th, with payday on the 25th of the current month
    • Pay Period: 16th - 31st, with payday on the 10th of the next month

    Students pick up pay checks at the Cashier's Office (Barge Hall, Room 104). Bring picture ID with you. Students are encouraged to arrange for direct deposit by contacting the Payroll Office, 2nd floor of Mitchell Hall.

    To set up Direct Deposit: Login to MyCWU > Main Menu > Human Resources > Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > Direct Deposit

    To view your Payslip: Login to MyCWU > Click Content in the upper left hand corner > Check the box next to View Payslip > Click Save > Find the View Payslip pagelet on your MyPage

    Off Campus Jobs
    If you work off-campus, you will be paid according to your employer's regular payroll schedule. All employers must pay you at least once per month and must pay you for all hours you work. Employers cannot require "volunteer" hours from an employee whom they have hired for pay.

    Q: Will working affect my financial aid?

    Off-Campus Employment
    Will NOT affect any financial aid during the current year, unless the off-campus job is funded through the Work-Study Program.

    Regular Student Employment
    Will NOT affect any financial aid during the current year. Most on-campus jobs are through the Regular Student Employment Program.

    Work-Study Employment
    MAY reduce the amount of loan you can borrow.

    Work-Study is a financial aid award. To qualify, you must apply for financial aid and demonstrate "need" for assistance. Because loan amounts may be reduced (but not always), some students may find Work-Study is not their best option.

    Q: What forms are required before I start working?

    A: To view descriptions of all forms please go to the Forms & Documents page.

    I-9 Form (Required, completed only once if there is no break in service)

    A federal form used to verify that the student is authorized to work in the United States. Only one form is required for all the years the student works at CWU, unless there is a lapse in enrollment of more than one year. If the student has a lapse and is not enrolled at least half-time for more than one year, please send the student to Student Employment for recertification of the I-9. (The I-9 for students working at the Centers will be completed by the site director, or designee.)

    STUDENTS: Before you come to campus, make sure that you have proper ID and proof of eligibility to work in the United States. You must show ORIGINAL documents when completing the I-9; copies will not be sufficient and will result in a delay of employment.

    W-4 Form (Optional, used to request changes to standard payroll deductions)

    A federal IRS form used to modify the amount of federal taxes will be deducted from the student's check. A new form should be completed if any information changes, such as a name or address change, marital status change, or change in the number of exemptions claimed.

    STUDENTS: Your W-4 defaults to 'Single, 0'. You may change your W-4 information at any time in MyCWU.

    Your W-2 Tax Statement will be mailed no later than January 31 of each year. If you do not receive a W-2 form, please contact the Payroll office in Mitchell Hall (509) 963-2221.

    Incorrect data in the payroll system will cause problems for you. When your address changes, be sure to change it with the Registrar AND with Student Employment (or Payroll) so that your check address and W-2 address can be updated. Changing your address with the Registrar does NOT change it in the payroll system.

    Also make sure that the address in MyCWU is updated with the correct address. The "Home" address is where CWU mails information.

    Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) Waiver Form
    (Required, complete only once for all years of employment)

    Completed by the student if the student wants to work more than 69 hours per month (about 15-16 hours per week), up to the maximum of 19 hours per week while classes are in session. Send completed form directly to Human Resources, MS 7425.

    Background Check (Required)

    Criminal background checks are required for all student employees. A conviction will not necessarily bar employment. Each situation is reviewed individually; a decision regarding employment will be based on the specific circumstances after considering factors such as severity of the crime, veracity of the student, length of time since conviction, duties of the prospective job, etc.

    Once the student has authorized the background check from HireRight, he or she may begin working pending completion of a satisfactory background check.

    In accordance with CWU Policy 2-30-010, an active requirement to register as a sex offender is incompatible with employment at CWU.

    Q: Are there special conditions for international students?

    A: International Student Employees generally cannot exceed the maximum of 20 hours per week, and CANNOT ever average their hours over the month. Per federal rules, they have an absolute weekly limit while attending classes and penalties for exceeding them are very severe for both the student and the employer. Stay in good standing by always observing the 20 hour per week limit.

    International Students can usually work up to 40 hours per week during a designated vacation period if returning for classes the following term.

    Contact International Studies and Programs for more information on international students.

  • Supervising

    Q: How do I request a classification review for my civil service employee?

    A: When an employee’s responsibilities have substantially grown or new duties have been assigned, contact HR at (509) 963-1202 or to request a review for possible reclassification.

    Your employee is also able to request a position review.

    Q: How often does my employee need a rest break or meal break?

    A: Employees must be provided at least a 10 minute break for every 4 hours worked and a 30-minute meal break when working more than five consecutive hours. Additional information is available from Labor & Industries.

    Q: How do I determine my essential personnel?

    A: Please review the Determination of Essential Personnel page

    Q: How many hours can a temporary employee work?

    A: Temporary/hourly employees may work up to 1,050 hours in 12 consecutive months.

    Q: What should I do if an employee who is expected at work does not show up?

    1. Call the employee.
    2. If no response has been received within an hour, call the employee’s emergency contact. Employee emergency contact information may be found in MyCWU > Manager Tab > Manager Self Service > View Employee Personal Info > Select Employee
    3. If no progress has been made within two hours of employee absence, contact HR at (509) 963-1202.
    4. Document your efforts to reach the employee.

    Q: Where can I post an off-campus job for students?

    A: Contact Patty Snowden in Financial Aid at (509) 963-3009 or

    Q: How do I hire a student employee?

    A: Please visit our Student Hiring Page.

    Q: May a student work more than one on-campus job?

    A: Students may work more than one job, but cannot exceed 20 work hours in a week.

    Q: How many hours may students work during the summer?

    A: Use the Student Eligibility/Max Work Hours calculator to determine the hours a student employee is eligible to work.

    Q: How do I request a raise for my student employee?

    A: All raise requests will be done through Manager Self Service. The raise requests will be submitted with a “position change”. This change continues to streamline our processes.

    In MyCWU, click on Main Menu > Human Resources > Manager Self Service > CW HR Transactions > Request Position Change

    Please contact your HR partner if you have any questions and/or suggestions.

    Q: Is a Running Start student eligible to be employed on campus?

    A: Running Start students may be employed and work the same hours as regular students.


  • Telework

    Q: Who is eligible to telework?
    A: The department head should determine whether the telework option will be offered on a department-wide or individual basis.

    Consider characteristics of the assignment, documented successful performance of the individual employee, ability to objectively assess telework performance and productivity.

    The ability to voluntarily telework is a privilege and not a right. Typically, telework relationships will not be established during an employee's probationary or trial service period. Suspected abuse of the telework arrangement should be promptly reported, investigated and resolved.

    Q: How will telework affect employee benefits?
    A: Telework arrangements do not change salaries, benefits, job responsibilities, leave policies, or other basic terms of employment.

    Q: How long is a telework assignment?
    A: Telework arrangements should be for a prescribed period of time. Establish dates on which the supervisor and the employee will review the effectiveness of the telework agreement to date and make adjustments as necessary.

    Q: How is a teleworker's performance assessed?
    A: The supervisor and the employee must confirm the tasks or scope of work to be completed at the alternate work site, the time frames for completion and how work will be reviewed, evaluated and measured.

    Q: How do teleworkers get set up with computers, phones and supplies?
    A: Determine what supplies are needed at the alternate work site. This may include personal computer, printer or fax capability.

    Include discussion of phone lines and technical support. Office supplies (paper, ink, etc.) are provided by the department; equipment (such as computer and printer) may be provided by the employee unless otherwise requested by the teleworker.

    Review the University's policy regarding use of university equipment and other resources. The employee must comply with licensing agreement terms for use of all software owned by the University. Such equipment is not to be used for personal gain (for example, a license may allow the teleworker to use a second copy (software) at home, but state law requires that it only be used for tasks directly related to work, even during non-work hours). Maintain an inventory of equipment and supplies used at the teleworker's work site.

    University equipment and other resources located at the alternate work site are not covered for insurance purposes. Departments must complete a “Property Removal Form” prior to placing university equipment in an alternate work site. If the telework site is the employee’s home, the employee should contact his/her insurance provider to discuss the ramifications of this risk. Any loss or damage of university equipment must be reported at once to the teleworker's supervisor.

    For assistance and instruction in setting up the telework employee with regards to equipment, networking, etc., supervisors should contact the ITS Help Desk at x2001 for assistance and instruction.

    Q: Can the teleworker deduct expenses?
    A: The employee is responsible for resolving questions about the ability to deduct expenses related to telework. For more information on "home office" deductions, see the applicable section of the Internal Revenue Code or contact your accountant.

    Q: What do federal laws say about teleworking?
    A: There are no direct federal laws that regulate telecommuting. Contact your HR rep about specific questions relating to employee rights and/or employer obligations.

CWU News

CWU Health Sciences to showcase student achievement, opportunities

April 17, 2024


Passion for performance sends CWU Music standout to Italy and beyond

April 17, 2024


More News