CWU’s Office of Case Management strives to identify and connect with students experiencing obstacles to success and enhances holistic student wellness through assessment, support, and connections to various formal and informal resources. The Office of Case Management prioritizes safety, risk mitigation, health and wellness, and responds to the needs of our CWU community with these priorities in mind.
Our vision as the Office of Case Management: Building, improving and maintaining the elements of CWU’s campus climate that encourage help-seeking behaviors, build bridges between students and resources, provide students with senses of connectedness and self-efficacy, and prioritize timely and effective interventions for our most at-risk students.
- Honesty & Integrity
- Social Justice
Our Commitment to Diversity:
CWU’s Office of Case Management is built upon the celebration of diversity inherent in our student populations and our overall CWU community members. This is demonstrated by our commitment to:
- Identify and address obstacles faced by individual students and identified within larger systems that may prevent under-represented students from being successful and/or limit access to opportunities. Obstacles are addressed through advocacy and strengths-based support, provision of knowledge, and coaching of students, staff and faculty about student rights and opportunities for success.
- Maintain awareness of individual students’ intersecting identity factors while respecting and attending to these from a strengths-based perspective.
- Avoid “one-size-fits-all” approaches, especially within processes or systems that may benefit from revisions and adjustments to reflect and recognize our ever-changing student population. Communicate opportunities for change to processes and systems when connecting with leaders of CWU and surrounding community members.
- Seek out educational opportunities for our team to expand our understanding and awareness of the many culturally diverse student groups we serve (formal and informal) to cleanse, expand and enhance the lenses of cultural competency we use in our work with students.
Students receiving Case Management services will:
- Have increased awareness of the various resources available to them as students in all areas of student life and within the surrounding community.
- Receive recommendations regarding academics and other aspects of CWU student living through support from Case Managers and through those supports that Case Managers connect them to for follow up assistance.
- Report improved sense of connectedness to the campus community.
- Increase understanding of student rights, responsibilities, opportunities and obstacles, regardless of locus of control in each of these areas.
- Receive support emphasizing safety, health and wellness, which can include revising original plans for educational pursuits and general quality of life expectations.
- Be supported to advocate for themselves in future processes, communication efforts, etc.
- Experience increased feelings of acceptance, optimism, connectedness, self-worth, hope and self-efficacy for future outcomes, within CWU’s higher education framework and for life in general.
CWU Case Managers retain membership with the nationally recognized Higher Education Case Managers Association (HECMA) in order to maintain best practices in their work with students.