International Student Admissions

Learn the requirements and start your online application today to become an international student at CWU.

Central Washington University is proud of our growing international student population. Today, more than 400 students from 66 countries like Vietnam, Brazil, and Japan call CWU their home. By joining our thriving international community, you'll receive support and services to help you transition to life in the U.S., achieve your academic goals, and more. 

Steps Toward Completing Your Application

Check your admission requirements and deadlines

Should I apply as an international student? If you need an F-1 visa, then yes, you are considered an international student.

If you are a Graduate Student, reference our International Graduate Student Application process. 

Complete and submit your application

Our application is completely online. You can apply through our application portal or use Common App. Already started an application? Pick up where you left off or check the status through your Applicant Portal 

Pay the application fee

The $60 application fee is non-refundable.

Provide your proof of English proficiency

We require that you speak and understand the English language to attend CWU. As part of your application, you must provide proof of your English proficiency. There are multiple options for students looking to officially demonstrate their English proficiency.

  • Countries exempt from English proficiency

    You do not need to supply proof of English proficiency if you are from: 

    • Antigua and Barbuda 
    • Australia 
    • Bahamas 
    • Barbados 
    • Belize 
    • Bermuda 
    • British Virgin Islands 
    • Botswana 
    • Canada (except Quebec) 
    • Cayman Islands 
    • Dominica 
    • Gambia 
    • Ghana 
    • Grenada 
    • Guyana 
    • Ireland 
    • Jamaica 
    • Kenya 
    • Kiribati 
    • Liberia 
    • Malawi 
    • Micronesia 
    • Namibia 
    • New Zealand 
    • Nigeria 
    • Palau 
    • Papua New Guinea 
    • Sierra Leone 
    • Singapore 
    • Solomon Islands 
    • South Africa 
    • St. Kitts & Nevis 
    • St. Lucia 
    • St. Vincent and the Grenadines 
    • Trinidad & Tobago 
    • Turks and Caicos Islands 
    • Uganda 
    • United Kingdom 
    • Zambia 
    • Zimbabwe 
  • Where do I send my transcripts? 

    Electronic transcripts coming directly from your institution are accepted  
    If you are having your transcripts mailed, please send to the following address:  

    Central Washington University 
    Office of Admissions 
    400 E University Way 
    Ellensburg, WA 98926-7463 

  • Complete the Student Visa Process

    International students outside US:

    International students inside US:

    • Submit immigration and financial documents, and complete steps to transfer your SEVIS record to CWU to obtain your new document I20.
    Please note for all International First - Year students, the $400 enrollment deposit must be received before your document I20 can be issued.

    Questions? Contact the SEVIS Coordinator at +1-509-963-3612 or

  • More information

    We may also ask for you to submit external examinations results depending on which country and curriculum that you studied. Examples include:  

    Examination results must be verified by the individual examination authority.  

    CWU reserves the right to request a transcript evaluation from an outside credential company, at the applicant's expense, to authenticate a transcript. If needed, please request a course-by-course evaluation of your transcript(s) by one of the following agencies:  

    Once the evaluation is complete, the agency will forward all required documents to CWU.  

Need help? We're here for you.

Your success is our top priority. Find helpful resources for your financial and application questions or contact our staff for personalized support. 

CWU News

Latest edition of Voyage Magazine available online

April 24, 2024


CWU defensive standout presented with coveted national award

April 24, 2024


More News

Questions? Contact Us.

Office of International Studies and Programs

Hebeler Hall 102