Out-of-State Students

You, the out-of-state student, find yourself in a unique position in this era of online learning. Distance is no longer a barrier to education, and you can attend prestigious universities from the comfort of your own home. The challenges of adapting to a different time zone or feeling detached from campus life may weigh on you at times, but the opportunities are vast. Resources and connections that were once out of reach are now at your fingertips. You're part of a growing community that transcends geographical boundaries, finding new ways to engage, network, and thrive in an educational landscape that is constantly evolving. The traditional confines of in-state versus out-of-state have been redrawn, and you stand at the forefront of this exciting new chapter in learning.

Central Washington University is authorized to deliver online courses and degree programs to out-of-state students in all U.S. States under the terms and provisions of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) and individual state authorizations.

Non-Resident Waivers for Online Students

Non-resident students enrolled in online programs:
  • Undergraduate and Post-Baccalaureate students pay 100% of resident tuition. Graduate Students pay 125% of resident tuition once the waiver is applied.
Non-resident students enrolled in online classes:
  • Undergraduates and Post-baccalaureate students pay 150% of resident tuition. Graduate students pay 125% of resident tuition.

Please review the Waiver Policy Guidelines and contact the CWU Financial Aid Office to identify yourself as a student eligible for a non-resident online student waiver.


Internships and other Supervised Field Experiences undertaken by out-of-state students in all U.S. States are authorized under the terms and provisions of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) and individual state authorizations, whether the internship is required for an online or campus-based program.

Information for students in California

Because California is not a member of SARA, different complaint processes, rights and responsibilities exist for students in California taking online courses at Central.

Student Complaint Process

Out-of-State students who wish to file a complaint related to online courses or programs offered by Central Washington University must first seek resolution through the institution’s Academic Appeal Procedures.

If the complaint is not resolved at the institutional level, it may be appealed to the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC), which has authority to investigate student complaints against specific schools within Washington State. WSAC may not be able to investigate every student complaint.

CWU News

CWU Law and Justice teaches aspiring legal professionals how to serve their communities

June 19, 2024


CWU helped personal finance graduate build a strong foundation

June 19, 2024


More News