Skip to body


College of the Sciences
Give to Sociology

Sweet Cases

Contact Us

Department of Sociology
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926
Phone: 509-963-1305
Fax: 509-963-1308


INDEX for Courses and Programs

Syllabi from 2015 to present


Courses and Programs:

Majors/Minors - Ellensburg, Distance Education, & Online CWU Campuses: All majors and minors are available on the Ellensburg campus.

Online offerings: Sociology BA 60-credit major, Sociology BA 45-credit major, Social Services BS 66-credit major, sociology 25-credit minor, and social services 30-credit minor.

Program Course Options (Flyers)

Sociology course fliers for current majors and minors (internal course fliers)

(Catalog View) Catalog Course Options

Major/Minor Application Forms for: 

Sociology, Social Services, and Sociology-Ethnic Studies Minor

Catalog Use information:

The Online Electronic Catalog (OEC) is the university's official compilation for all curriculum. The OEC serves as the basis for major, minor, specialization, certificate, and program requirements for the academic year. For current policy and curriculum requirements refer to the CWU online catalog at You may choose the catalog that is appropriate for your program requirements, based on the quarter that you were accepted into your program. Some students may be using more than one catalog to meet general education and major requirements.

A student should expect to meet the specific requirements of the departments listed in the OEC that is current at the time he or she is accepted by the department into the major or minor program. Graduate students admitted to the master's degree program may use the catalog they are admitted under or the current one. A student should expect to complete general education requirements as listed in the OEC current at the time of first enrollment at either Central or a community college in the state of Washington provided he or she transfers directly to CWU from the community college and has not attended another four-year institution.

Transfer Students

What courses do you need when transferring to CWU?
The CWU sociology department can work with students having all levels of preparation.  With appropriate preparation, students can (and have) complete the Bachelor of Sciences Social Services Degree or a Bachelor of  Arts sociology degree programs within two years (for more information about our degree programs, please click on the Degree Programs below.

Generally, with the exception of the Introduction to Sociology or Social Problems courses, 100 and 200 level courses do not transfer. Students can and have completed the BA in Sociology or the BS in Social Services in two years.
Thinking about transferring to CWU? Click here for more transfer student information

Honors in Sociology and Social Services

1. The sociology department’s honors program is designed for students who wish to explore a particular research problem in depth.

2. Admission to the program
     The student must:

      (a)  Have a 3.50 or higher cumulative GPA in sociology courses
      (b)  Be at least a junior
      (c)  Have a faculty member sponsorship; the faculty member would submit student’s name to the department for admission
3. Requirements

     The student is required to:
      (a)  Maintain a 3.5 or higher GPA in sociology coursework (including any approved outside electives) applied to the sociology degree
      (b)  Enroll in SOC 495 beginning fall quarter of the senior year (minimum of 10 credits over the course of that year)
      (c)  Complete a research project under the supervision of a faculty
      (d)  Participate in a public presentation of the research project (such as SOURCE, a professional conference, or other departmental-approved venues)


Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.