Business Services
Kamola Hall, Room 128
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg WA, 98926
Phone: (509) 963-2310
Fax: (509) 963-2336

Request Procedures and Information

Public records for a state institution include any record containing information relating to the conduct of university business which is prepared, owned, used or retained by the university.

Public Records Officer: Toni Burvee

  • How to Submit a Public Record Request

    Public Records can be requested by completing the Public Records Request Form (DOC) and submitted by email, fax or mail to the following:

    Business Services
    Kamola Hall Room 128
    400 E University Way
    Ellensburg, WA 98926-7474
    Phone (509) 963-2310
    Fax (509) 963-2336

  • Fee Schedule


    No Fee Inspection by requestor at the CWU Ellensburg Campus
    No Fee Requester accessing or downloading records CWU routinely posts on its website

    Copy Charges*

    Cost varies - per other statutes Records for which other costs are authorized pursuant to laws outside of RCW 42.56. RCW 42.56.130.

    Customized Service

    Customized service charge-
    Varies depending on the request
    If the request requires the use of IT expertise to prepare data compilations or when customized access services are not used by CWU for CWU business purposes, CWU may charge a customized service charge. RCW 42.56.120(3)

    Other Costs

    15 cents/page Photocopies of paper records or printed (paper) copies of electronic records (applies if requester asks for paper copies)
    10 cents/page Electronic copy of scanned paper records (applies if paper copies must be scanned in order to produce in electronic format)

    5 cents for each 4 electronic
    files or attachments

    Files and attachments uploaded to e-mail or other means of electronic delivery (applies if records are already stored electronically and requestor asks for such records to be provided via e-mail or a digital media storage device, such as a CD or thumb drive)
    10 cents per gigabyte Cost for transmitting records in an electronic format, such as e-mail or a digital media storage device
    Actual cost

    Depends on cost of a digital storage media device, such as a CD, DVD, or thumb drive

    Actual cost Any container or envelope used to mail copies
    Actual cost Postage or delivery charges


    10 percent of estimate cost
    to fulfill request

    When the estimated copying cost for fulfilling an entire request or an installment, or when providing a customized service, exceeds $25, CWU may require a 10% deposit. RCW 42.56.120(4); WAC 172-10-080.

    *Charges may be combined to the extent more than one type of charge applies to copies responsive to a particular request. Copy charges are assessed for each installment of records provided to the requester.

    - Requestors may ask for an estimate of the cost before asking for records to be produced.

  • Response Time

    The university will acknowledge the request within five (5) business days. At that time the Public Records Officer will determine the time-frame for the release.

  • Students Right to Privacy

    Students' Right to Privacy is protected under the (FERPA) Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (PDF)

  • Frequently Asked Questions

    Do I really need to provide the records being requested?
    Yes, it is extremely important that all records (paper, electronic, voicemail, etc.) being requested are produced. As a state agency, we follow the rules under RCW 42.56.

    Why are some records not released or blacked out when I receive my copy of a public records request?
    Should there be an exemption which will not allow disclosure of the record, the University will redact the exempt information and include the reason for non-disclosure of information in their response as required by RCW 42.56.

    Who is paying for time and expense to locate the records?
    Each department is responsible for the time and expense of locating their records.

    Are there any exceptions to State law RCW 42.56 and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)?
    Some records are exempt from the public disclosure law. The following are some examples:

    • Social Security Numbers.
    • Student Identification Numbers.
    • Mailing lists of employees, volunteers and student lists to be used for commercial purposes.
    • All applications for public employment, including the names of applicants, resumes, and other related materials submitted with respect to an applicant.
    • Test questions, scoring keys and other examination data used to administer any examination.
    • Personal information regarding University students including examination results, grades, class schedules, and curricular material, which are protected from disclosure under FERPA without a signed release or lawfully issued subpoena being received by the University.
    • Data or maps which identify locations of archeological sites may be exempt.
    • Internal drafts, notes, and recommendations where opinions are expressed or policies are formulated or recommended may be exempt from disclosure until a decision has been made. When a decision has been made, they are no longer exempt.

    Is there a fee for gathering the records to fulfill the request?
    No. It is the University’s obligation to gather the requested records. We are not obligated to create reports or compile records that do not already exist.

    Should a department administrator deny access to any public records?
    No. The law requires the Public Records Officer to notify the requester if a record is being held under an exemption from disclosure.

    What happens if the University does not comply with RCW. 42.56?
    The University could be imposed a fine up to $100.00 per day for holding existing records that have been requested.

    Can an employee request to review their personnel file?
    Yes. The personnel file is kept and maintained at Human Resources.

    Are University employees’ salaries exempt from public record?
    No. Salaries of University employees are a matter of public record.

    Are salary steps for promotion and tenure exempt?
    No. The information is a matter of public record.

    Are documents a matter of public record when they are between attorney/client, i.e., University Assistant Attorney General and a University employee?
    Yes, but an exemption may apply if an opinion is being provided. Just because part of a record may be exempt does not mean that the entire record will be withheld. In those cases, the University has an obligation to remove the data it has determined to be exempt from disclosure and provide the rest of the document with a brief description of the exemption that was applied. It is very rare that a document is exempt in its entirety.

    Are we required to create records to comply with a request?
    No. We are only required to produce existing documents.

  • Common Reports & Data

    IPEDS (Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System) - Data that is reported in the following survey components: Completions; 12-Month Enrollment; Institutional Characteristics; Student Financial Aid; Graduation Rates; 200% Graduation Rates; Admissions; Outcome Measures; Fall Enrollment; Finance; Human Resources; and Academic Libraries

    Common Data Sets (View by Academic Year)

This page contains links to websites outside of The views and opinions expressed on unofficial pages of Central Washington University faculty, staff or students are strictly those of the page authors. The content of such pages has not been reviewed or approved by Central Washington University.