Getting Help During a Crisis

[insert feature box] If you are currently experiencing a life-threatening crisis, please call 911 immediately and request emergency assistance.

Students in crisis

Crisis can mean many different things to many different students. Although not an exhaustive list, common reasons students could need and benefit from a crisis session include:

  • Thoughts of suicide, self-harm, or harming others
  • Recent trauma (including sexual assault, relationship violence, discrimination)
  • Recent significant loss
  • Strong emotional reaction that does not lessen in response to time and self-soothing
  • Frightening or threatening thoughts or experiences
  • Highly time-sensitive decision with significant emotional, psychological, or relational impacts

During normal business hours Central Washington University students may call Student Counseling Services at 509-963-1391 to request crisis support. Students located in Ellensburg may also come directly to our Center (Black Hall 225-30) Monday through Friday 8:00a - 4:30p obtain crisis support.

Crisis sessions are designed to address the need for brief emotional stabilization or focused problem solving.

Additional crisis supports include:

  • TalkNow through TimelyCare (24/7; on-demand video sessions with counselors)
  • Kittitas County Crisis Line: 509-925-4168 (24/7; staffed by counselors)
  • National Crisis Line: call 988
  • Text Crisis Line: Text "HEAL" to 741741 (24/7; staffed by trained volunteers)
  • Text Crisis Line: Text "STEVE" to 741741 (24/7 for BIPOC; trained volunteers)
  • Trevor Project: 866-488-7386 (24/7; LGBTQI+; trained volunteers)
  • Trans Crisis Line: 877-565-8860 (7a-1p Pacific Time; trained volunteers)
  • Veterans Crisis Line: 800-273-8255 and Press 1 (24/7; trained volunteers)
  • Veterans Text Crisis Line: Text "START" to 838255 (24/7; trained volunteers)
  • Lifeline: 800-799-4889 (24/7; TTY or text; trained volunteers)
  • En Espanol: 888-628-9454 (24/7; trained volunteers)
  • Domestic Violence: 800-799-7233 (24/7; trained volunteers)
  • Sexual Assault Hotline: 800-656-4673 (24/7; trained volunteers)

Concerned others

If you have reason to believe someone is experiencing a life-threatening mental health emergency, please call 911 and request emergency assistance.

Anyone concerned about the mental health or welfare of a Central Washington University student may call Student Counseling Services (509-963-1391) during our normal business hours and request a phone consultation with a staff member. While we are unable to provide information about any student, we can help problem solve your concerns, share resources, and make recommendations. After hours and over the weekend, concerned others can call the local crisis line at 509-925-4168 for advice and assistance.

While Student Counseling Services is happy to provide guidance and recommendations, our confidentiality restrictions and practice laws often make it difficult for our department to directly act except in extreme circumstances. However, it is often helpful for other Student Engagement and Success offices to know your concerns about a student's welfare. You can help a student access a number of support services by completing a Behaviors of Concern Report. This report is not about getting a student in trouble, but getting a student the support they need. Be sure to choose "Student Concern/Case Management" for the type of report. The Behaviors of Concern Report can be completed by students, staff, and faculty. The Suicide Concern Report can be completed by anyone who has concerns about a student's ability to keep themselves safe.

In addition, any of the crisis line resources listed for students will also provide consultation and guidance to concerned others. You do not personally need to be in crisis or a student to access these support resources.

CWU News

CWU Women’s History Month Film Series to begin March 5

February 28, 2024


CWU Capital Planning and Projects director appointed to Ellensburg City Council

February 28, 2024


More News