GED/High School Equivalency Program

You find yourself at a crossroads, reflecting on the opportunities that a high school diploma can provide but realizing that traditional schooling might not be the right path for you. Then, the idea of a high school equivalency program emerges. This pathway is designed specifically for individuals like you who want to earn a certification that's equivalent to a high school diploma. Through focused study and a series of exams that test your knowledge in core subjects, you can prove your readiness for college or a career. Whether you've had to leave school early or you're simply looking for an alternative means of education, this program offers you a chance to move forward. Instructors and support systems are often available to help guide you through the material, understanding that every student's journey is unique. With determination and hard work, you can achieve this significant milestone on your own terms.

The High School Equivalency Program (HEP) helps migrant and seasonal farmworkers and their immediate family members earn the equivalent of a high school diploma, a GED ("General Equivalency Diploma").  HEP also helps people get the education needed to qualify for careers they desire, to enroll in college, or to enter military service.

Why do I need a GED?
Earning a will help you find a better job and earn more money.  You need a GED to attend college or a vocational school--both of which lead to more satisfying, stable employment.

Do I qualify for HEP?
You may apply to participate in HEP if you can answer "yes" to the following questions:

  • My family and I have spent at least 75 days as migrant or seasonal farmworkers during the past two years
  • I am at least 16 years of age. (If age 19 or younger, applicants need a withdrawal form from the last school district attended.)
  • I lack a high school diploma or the equivalent.

In addition, applicants will need to provide

  • a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) of the Title I Migrant Education Program and
  • a copy of the eligibility certificate for the OIC/WIA 167 Youth Program.

What does HEP cost?
HEP services are provided at no charge to qualified individuals

How will HEP help me?

Qualified applicants receive free testing to find out what education they need and free tutoring from bilingual instructors who are there to help them succeed.  We'll also help you learn new computer skills.

You'll learn about careers available to you and where to find more training.  HEP helps students through the process of applying to colleges and vocational schools.

Where can I find more information about HEP?

For more information please contact
High School Equivalency Program
At 509-452-0639 or 509-453-4006

CWU News

CWU selects new executive director of Institutional Effectiveness

September 21, 2023


State of the University address scheduled for September 29

September 20, 2023


More News