Download an application now (rolling deadline):
Main Office (Hertz 201) Hours:
M, T, Th 9:00 am- 5:00 pm,
W 9:00 am-2:00 pm
F 12:00 pm-2:00 pm
Ian Buvit, Director
Hertz Hall 229
Kristina Owens, Program Coordinator
Hertz Hall 201
Pamela Nevar, Faculty Coordinator
Hertz Hall 226
CWU Represents One of the Original McNair Institutions in the Country, and Is Among the First in Washington State!
Central Washington University is committed to increasing the number of low-income, first generation undergraduates and underrepresented minority students who earn doctoral degrees. Funded by Congress through the U.S. Department of Education, there are 158 programs on campuses nationwide. CWU is proud to have been one of the original McNair institutions in the country, and among the first in Washington state.
This program prepares participants for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities.
If you are considering a career in research or university teaching, you should participate in the CWU McNair Scholars Program. Your participation in this program will not only enhance your qualifications as a candidate for graduate school, it will give you the opportunity to experience the professional side of academia firsthand.
The McNair Scholars Program is a two-year program of scholarly activities that includes:
- One-on-one meetings with a faculty mentor in your field;
- A paid, nine-week, full-time summer research fellowship;
- Training in how to write and present a scholarly research paper;
- The opportunity to present a paper at a minimum of two research conferences, including Central's SOURCE conference;
- Regional graduate school visits;
- Guidance through the graduate school application process, including applying for fellowships; and
- Other co-curricular and pre-professional training;
- Application fee waivers to >200 universities in the U.S.A.