Steps to Apply as a First-Year Student
- Complete and submit your official application for admission.
Students that apply early are more likely to receive scholarships, have their financial aid ready, and are more prepared for college.
- Submit a non-refundable $60 application fee.
When applying online, you must submit the fee through your application portal or upload an application fee waiver. Common fee waivers include NACAC, ACT/SAT, TRiO, or other college support programs.
- Submit an official high school transcript.
Transcripts will be considered official only when sent directly from the institution to Central Washington University via the address below. In-progress transcripts will be used to evaluate applications. Final official transcripts must be submitted upon completion of course of study and must include graduation date. Note: Homeschool students and international students have special instructions for high school transcripts.
Central Washington University
Office of Admissions
400 E University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7463
- (Optional) Submit your scores from the SAT or ACT.
The SAT or ACT is not required of all first-year applicants.
Please note the following admission requirements for first-year college students.
- Applicants with a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher and have satisfied the College Academic Distribution Requirements (CADRs) qualify for Guaranteed Admission. No personal statement or essay required!
- Applicants with a 2.50 - 2.99 cumulative GPA who have satisfied the CADR requirements will be considered for admission through a comprehensive review process, which takes into consideration: high school GPA, high school grade trends and course rigor. A personal statement* may be required.
- Applicants with a 2.00 - 2.49 cumulative GPA who have satisfied the CADR requirements will be considered for admission through a comprehensive review process, which takes into consideration: high school GPA, high school grade trends and course rigor. For those with a 2.00 - 2.49, a personal statement* is required.
- Applicants who do not meet the CADR requirements will be considered for admission through a comprehensive review process which takes into consideration: high school GPA, SAT or ACT test scores, personal statement, high school grade trends and course rigor.
*We understand that GPA is just one indicator of your ability to be successful in college. If your cumulative GPA is below 2.50, we’d like to hear your story. In 2-4 paragraphs, tell us about your past academic experience, any challenges you have faced and overcome, and your plans to be successful at CWU.
- 4 years of English
- 4 years of Mathematics
- 2 years of World Language
- 3 years of Science
- 3 years of Social Science
- 1 year of fine, visual, or performing arts
CWU offers guaranteed admission to all first-year applicants who have met the following criteria:
1. Have a minimum high school GPA of 3.0 or higher.
2. Have successfully completed all CADR courses by time of enrollment at CWU.
|Deadline Type||Apply Before|
|Fall Quarter||March 1|
|Winter Quarter||November 1|
|Spring Quarter||March 1|
|Summer Quarter||June 1|
Note: Applications submitted after priority dates will still be considered for admission.