Apr. 2, 2014
Taping for Apple Bowl Complete; Watch the Five-Week Series on KYVE
Ready for a trivia question?
Name the brightest star in the constellation Gemini.
You have three seconds.
OK, time’s up.
The answer is Pollux.
Here’s another: In what organ is the aqueous humor?
Googling is not allowed.
The answer is the eye.
High school students from throughout central Washington were faced with these questions and hundreds more during the 2014 KYVE Apple Bowl, which was taped at Central Washington University over the past week. One area high school was named the champion after a nail-biting final match in the CWU TV studio Friday, March 28.
The Apple Bowl, now in its 34th year, is a single-elimination knowledge contest between high schools from throughout central Washington. The shows will air on KYVE beginning April 23 with the final match to be broadcast May 28.
The questions cover everything from mythical geography and constitutional clauses to palindromes and African animals. The students face lightning rounds, toss-up bonus questions and tiebreakers.
The winning team receives $1,500 and will have its school added to the Apple Bowl trophy. CWU tuition waivers also are up for grabs.
To test your own trivia skills and find out who this year’s ultimate knowledge gurus are, tune in to KYVE 47. The schedule is as follows:
- Moses Lake v. Riverside Christian, 7:00 p.m. April 23
- Prosser v. Selah, 7:00 p.m. April 24
- Zillah v Cle Elum, 7:00 p.m. April 29
- Wapato v. Ellensburg, 7:00 p.m. April 30
- Davis v. West Valley, 7:00 p.m. May 1
- Sunnyside v. Grandview, 7:00 p.m. May 5
- White Swan v. Toppenish, 7:00 p.m. May 5
- Highland v. Sunnyside Christian, 7:00 p.m. May 7
- Winner of game 1 v. winner of game 2, 7:00 p.m. May 8
- Winner of game 3 v. Wenatchee, 7:00 p.m. May 13
- Winner of game 5 v. winner of game 6, 7:00 p.m. May 14
- Winner of game 7 v. winner of game 8, 7:00 p.m. May 15
- Winner of game 9 v. LaSalle, 7:00 p.m. May 20
- Winner of game 13 v. winner of game 14, 7:00 p.m. May 21
- Winner of game 11 v. winner of game 12, 7:00 p.m. May 22
- Winner of game 15 v. winner of game 16, 7:00 p.m. May 27
- Winner of game 17 v. winner of game 18, 7:00 p.m. May 28
TOP PHOTO: Apple Bowl host Pedro Bicchieri takes to the lectern just before taping begins for a game between Sunnyside Christian and LaSalle High School in March 2014. (Barb Arnott/CWU)
ABOVE PHOTO: The high school that wins the championship round of the Apple Bowl will have its name added to the trophy. Also up for grabs is $1,500 and CWU tuition waivers. (Barb Arnott/CWU)
March 28, 2014