May. 13, 2022
CWU to Introduce Virtual Parking Passes
Dear Campus Community,
Central Washington University Parking Services will be introducing a long-anticipated change to our daily operations, and we would like to provide faculty, staff, and students with some valuable information about how the process will function in the future.
Beginning summer quarter, CWU will be moving to a cloud-based permit system called FlexPort, in which parking passes will be bought and managed completely online. In addition, we will be using License Plate Reader technology to determine which cars are permitted in the lots or have current passes. We anticipate having the new parking system live by June 29, and at the start of fall quarter, vehicle hang-tags will no longer be required.
Here is what the new Parking Services system means for CWU students and employees:
Current Parking Pass Holders
- All current pass holders for the 2021-22 year will be migrated to the new system. This means that your parking pass and your primary vehicle will automatically be registered in FlexPort, as long as your primary vehicle license information is current.
- If you have a second car associated with your parking pass, you will need to re-add it to the FlexPort system.
- All pass holders will need to check if their license plate is correct in the new system, so we encourage pass holders to verify this information before the transition. We will send out more information in June and directions on how to complete this process.
Purchasing a New Parking Pass
- If you do not currently have a parking pass and would like to buy one, please visit the Parking Services website. The page contains information on how to buy a pass, the different pass options, and pricing.
- As of June 29, daily permits can be purchased online or on campus at one of the kiosks in these parking lots: G-16; I-15; and Q-14. Find the CWU campus parking map online.
License Plates/Registered Cars for Each Parking Pass
- Beginning June 29, the new system will monitor cars based on their license plates. You may have up to five cars registered under each parking pass.
- Our License Plate Reading technology will recognize all five cars as “parking pass holders.” However, you may have only ONE of those cars on campus at any given time, per pass.
- You may switch cars on the same day, but the license plates must be registered online under your current parking pass, and only one vehicle can be on campus at a time. If you would like to have multiple cars parked on campus at the same time, you will need a pass for each vehicle.
Summer & Fall Quarters
- During summer quarter, our Parking Enforcement team will honor both the vehicle hang-tags and the virtual passes purchased through the new system.
- During fall quarter, parking enforcement will require all vehicles to be registered within the FlexPort system, and all hang-tags will be obsolete. Parking Enforcement officers will be instructed to double-check cars before issuing tickets.
We appreciate your patience as we transition to this new, more efficient parking management system for the CWU campus. If you have questions, please visit our online FAQ page, or feel free to contact our office at 509-963-2667 or email email@example.com.
CWU Police Chief