Teacher Certification Program
Black Hall 208-9
(509) 963-2660

Resources for the Teacher Certification Program

Below you will find several categories of resources and frequently asked questions. Some of the answers apply to more than one question or section so search all the questions or topics for information.

Teacher Certification Program Admittance Status

Field Experience Requirements


Recommendation to OSPI

  • Should I e-mail Teacher Certification right after graduation to process my information?

    We know this is an exciting step in your journey and you are eager to have your own classroom, but please be patient. Degree Checkout could take up to 6-8 weeks for your degree to be awarded. When the Teacher Certification Program sees your degree has been awarded, we manually review your file for recommendation. If you have met all of the certification requirements, we will recommend you to OSPI and send you an e-mail with instructions on how to claim your certificate.

    We monitor this process daily at the end of every quarter and process recommendations in batches a few times a week.

  • Can I look for jobs before my Teaching Certificate is issued?

    Absolutely! After you have successfully passed student teaching you are ready to start looking for jobs! Most school districts are aware that the recommendation process typically takes a 6-8 weeks after your recommendation has been entered. Check out Career Services for resources and information about applying for employment.

    You will need to contact the HR department of jobs you are applying for to get information on how they prefer you indicate your certificate is pending. Your Washington Cert # was issued when you completed your Pre-Residency Clearance and will not change when your certificate is issued so you can include that in your applications. When you log in to your e-cert account on the "Educator Main" tab on the far left, you can find your WA Cert # right under your name.

  • My e-cert account says I am missing my WEST-B tests

    If you used SAT scores or the WEST-B remediation courses to satisfy your basic skills requirements, those tests have been loaded into OSPI. After you have been recommended to OSPI it can take up to 6-8 weeks for your certificate to be awarded.

    As long as your application status in OSPI reads PENDING then the error you are given about missing WEST-B results has not been verified by a Certification Officer at OSPI. If you recieve an e-mail from OSPI saying your application is deficient then please reach out so we can help with any questions.

  • Special Education Majors- Requirements

    OSPI requires that all Special Education applicants have a second (dual) endorsement. This is the reason you are required to have an endorseable minor. The Teacher Certification Program will not recommend you for your Residency Teaching Certificate without passing both your Special Education WEST-E and your WEST-E/NES for your minor.

    Your application fee for the Residency Teaching Certificate is $93.00 and without a second endorsement OSPI will deny your certificate. Candidates will pay an additional Add-on Endorsment fee of $81.00 after passing their second endorsement test if the Teacher Certification Program recommends you without your minor endorsement.

  • Adding minor or second major endorsement later

    Have you recently passed the NES/WEST-E test for your minor or second major and want to add that endorsement to your teaching certificate? Complete the Finishing Original Endorsements form to notify us of your request.


  • Endorsement vs. Major/Minor​

    Endorsement: An endorsement is the specific subject matter or content area listed on your teaching certificate in Washington State. All certificates must have at least one endorsement, and some endorsement areas cannot stand alone and require dual endorsements. ​

    Major/Minor: Academic course work that covers the competencies required by the state that will lead to an endorsement

  • Graduation vs. Certification

    Graduation: Meeting the graduation requirements of CWU based on course catalog and Major/Minor program requirements.​

    Certification: Is independent of graduating. Items like passing the NES/WEST-E test, account balance, hours logged, will not prevent students from graduating but will delay recommendation to OSPI.

This page contains links to websites outside of The views and opinions expressed on unofficial pages of Central Washington University faculty, staff or students are strictly those of the page authors. The content of such pages has not been reviewed or approved by Central Washington University.

Updated 11/17/2022