In order to be at least conditionally admitted to the Teacher Certification Program, candidates must complete items 1 - 4 below. To be fully admitted to the Teacher Certification Program, candidates must successfully complete all items listed below.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted, therefore, will be returned to the candidate. In order for an application to be accepted by the Teacher Certification Program, items 2-4 listed below must be submitted together.
Admission Requirements are as follows:
- A 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) for the last 45 graded quarter credits (the total may exceed 45 if an entire quarter is needed to achieve the minimum 45) or overall CWU/transfer cumulative. Acceptance can be granted to individuals with a 2.8 GPA, with the provision those individuals meet the 3.0 GPA and are fully admitted prior to enrolling in EFC courses and making application for student teaching and certification. If your GPA does not meet the required 2.8 for conditional admittance or 3.0 for full admittance, it is your responsibility to contact the CWU Certification Office, once you have completed additional course work, to have your GPA recalculated. Please give the CWU Certification Office enough notice so that your GPA can be recalculated in time for preregistration as the recalculation of your GPA takes time.
- Completed Application for Admission to Teacher Education.
- Completed Character and Fitness Supplement.
- Official or unofficial transcripts from each college/university attended, except CWU (these transcripts are independent of transcripts sent for university application purposes).
- Successful completion of ENG 101, ENG 102, and one of either MATH 101, 153, 154, 164, 170, or 172.
- Submission of the Dispositional Survey. Once you activate your LiveText account, you are automatically sent the Admissions Dispositional Survey. The survey is located in your Forms box of LiveText. Once you have completed the survey, click the submit button. The Teacher Certification Office verifies recent survey submissions every Friday. Please call (509) 963-2661 if you have any questions.
- Satisfy the basic skills requirement. Students may satisfy this requirement through any of the following test scores:
Info on the WEST-B can be found online at www.west.nesinc.com
MATH PASS (240+)
515 (prior to 3/2016)
530 (after 3/2016)
22 READING PASS (240+)
500 (prior to 3/2016)
27 (after 3/2016)
22 WRITING PASS (240+)
490 (prior to 3/2016)
28 (after 3/2016)
8 (2/2005 to 8/2015)
23 (9/2015 - 8/2016)
The SAT writing test was added in 2005. This means no writing score will be accepted for SAT before 2005.
SAT Score reports prior to October 2004 will have "verbal" scores which are the critical reading scores. If the score reports are from October 1996 to September 2004, then the verbal scores are the same as the reading scores beyond 2004. Use those scores to see if the candidate has satisfied the requirement.
SAT scores that equal or exceed the cut scores in the table above meet the entrance criteria, regardless of when the test was taken.
SAT October 2004 and later score reports will have critical reading, mathematics and writing scores listed if the candidate took the tests.
SAT new test started administration March 2016.
Concordance Table used to determine new scores for candidates taking new SAT test.
All ACT scores that equal or exceed the cut scores in the table above meet the entrance criteria, regardless of when the test was taken.
ACT Writing was added Feb. 2005 so no ACT writing score will be accepted before Feb. 2005.
ACT Reading was added Oct. 1989. No ACT reading score will be accepted before Oct. 1989.
ACT Writing subsection was updated and a new version was administered September 2015. (see score as of 9/2015)
ACT Writing subsection test has not changed but how the scores will be reported will change, as of September 2016. The writing subsection test will be report on the range of 2-12. The acceptable writing score will be 8.
Deadlines for application: Ellensburg Campus - Fall Quarter (April 1), Winter Quarter (Oct. 1), Spring Quarter (Jan. 1), Summer Quarter (April 1); Off-Campus Centers - Fall Quarter (June 30).
Print out a CHECKLIST of important steps to keep track of while completing your education program at CWU.
Submit completed application forms to Teacher Certification, 400 East University Way, Ellensburg, WA 98926-7414