Skip to body

Student Success

Give to Student Success

Related Links

Contact Us

Bouillon Room 204
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926
Phone: 509-963-1515

Student Retention FAQ's

How does a freshmen get on Academic Warning?
When his or her quarterly academic GPA falls below a 2.0.

How do I know whether or not I am on Warning?
Students can check their status in MyCWU. They will also receive a letter instructing them to come to the Academic Recovery Program. The letter tells the student when and where the program is to be held. Parents are not usually notified.

What happens after I get on Warning?
You will be required to attend the Academic Recovery Program. You are then expected to utilize services to support you in raising your GPA to a minimum 2.0. If your next quarter current GPA remains below a 2.0, or your cumulative GPA is below a 2.0, you will be placed on Probation.

How does a student get on Probation?
Getting on Warning and not raising your grades to bring your cumulative GPA to a 2.0 the following quarter is the most common way students get on Probation. However, any time your cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0, you will be placed on Probation. It is possible to be on Probation without having a quarter on Warning.

How did I get on Probation when I was not on Academic Warning last term?
(See above) Last quarter you probably had at least a 2.0 GPA. This quarter your current GPA was low enough to pull your cumulative GPA below a 2.0.

What is a mentor?
A mentor is a faculty or staff person you will meet with to support you in overcoming whatever obstacles are preventing you from achieving academic success and or social success.

How do I get help before getting on Warning or Probation?
Always go and see your instructor and ask for help. Also, we find that the keys to success involve attending all classes, doing all assignments on-time, completing all reading assignments on-time and studying for all examinations before the day of the exam. CAMP and Student Support Services programs require a process to initiate individual services. However, all other student support programs are open to all students.

What happens if I have an emergency and cannot do what is expected from me?
The most important thing is to immediately contact your instructors in person, by phone, or by e-mail. Feel free to contact the Office of Academic Advising to discuss both uncontested and hardship withdrawals. 963-3523.

Students can also contact the Vice President for Student Engagement and Success Office and explain their situation. 963-1515.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.