Skip to body

Student Employment

Required Forms

I-9 Form

(Required, completed only once)

A federal form used to verify that the student is authorized to work in the United States. Only one form is required for all the years the student works at CWU, unless there is a lapse in enrollment of more than one quarter. If the student has a lapse and is not enrolled at least half-time for more than one quarter, please send the student to Student Employment for recertification of the I-9. (The I-9 for students working at the Centers will be completed by the site director, or designee.)

STUDENTS: Before you come to campus, make sure that you have proper ID and proof of eligibility to work in the United States.  You must show ORIGINAL documents when completing the I-9; copies will not be sufficient and will result in a delay of employment.

W-4 Form

(Optional, used to request changes to standard payroll deductions)

A federal IRS form used to modify the amount of federal taxes will be deducted from the student's check.  A new form should be completed if any information changes, such as a name or address change, marital status change, or change in the number of exemptions claimed.

STUDENTS: You may change your W-4 information at any time. Please be certain to write clearly and legibly on your W-4 form. The address you provide on the W-4 will be the address where your W-2 Tax Statement will be mailed no later than January 31 of each year. If you do not receive a W-2 form, please contact the Payroll office in Mitchell Hall. If we can't read it, your wage statement and any paychecks you may have mailed to you may not reach you, as we will not have your correct address. Also, the Social Security number you provide on the W-4 will be entered on the payroll system and reported to the IRS. Incorrect data in the payroll system will cause problems for you. Please help us serve you better by writing clearly on the W-4. When your address changes, be sure to change it with the Registrar AND with Student Employment (or Payroll) so that your check address and W-2 address can be updated. Changing your address with the Registrar does NOT change it in the payroll system.

Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) Waiver Form

(Optional, complete only once for all years of employment)

Completed by the student if the student wants to work more than 69 hours per month (about 15-16 hours per week), up to the maximum of 19 hours per week while classes are in session. Send completed form directly to Human Resources, MS 7425.

Background Inquiry


Effective Spring quarter 2012, criminal background checks are required for all student employees.  A conviction will not necessarily bar employment.  Each situation is reviewed individually;  a decision regarding employment will be based on the specific circumstances after considering factors such as severity of the crime, veracity of the student, length of time since conviction, duties of the prospective job, etc. 

Once the student has authorized the background check (either by signing the authorization form or  completing the on-line authorization), he or she may begin working pending completion of a satisfactory background check. 

In accordance with CWU Policy 2-30-010, an active requirement to register as a sex offender is incompatible with employment at CWU.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.