Skip to body

Student Accounts

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions Pertaining To:
Account Holds
Financial Aid Refunds
    -Request reissue of a check
Student Accounts Office Hours
Check Cashing
All About Payments
    -How do I see my account balance?
    -How do I pay?
    -Online payments
    -CWU Centers Information
    -What if my online payment isn't processing?
    -How can I avoid the online convenience fee?
    -Can I make a payment plan?   
    -What about the 1% Interest fee on past due accounts?
    -What if I can't pay my balance?
Release of my Student Account Information
Tax Credit for Tuition and Qualified Expenses 1098-T Form

Why is there a hold on my account?

A Student Accounts hold is placed when there is a past due or outstanding balance. Other University departments may place holds for specific departmental reasons. For more information, and to find out which department has placed the hold, please call Student Accounts at (509)-963-3546 or log into MyCWU.

Financial Aid Refunds

If you have signed up for direct deposit, your refund should be deposited to your bank account approximately 1-3 days after the refund shows as posted to your MyCWU account. You will receive an email from the Student Accounts Office when the direct deposit is processed.

If you have not signed up for direct deposit, your refund will be issued as a paper check and will be mailed to the Mail/Preferred address or Home address you have in MyCWU. Refunds are mailed within 2 days of the date they are posted to your account. Please allow several days for the United States Postal Service (USPS) to deliver your refund.

If you have not received your refund within two weeks of the date it was posted, we will be happy to investigate and help you resolve it. Please submit a Refund Reissue Request using our online form.

Visit the Financial Aid website for answers to important dates and any other financial aid related questions.

Student Accounts Office Hours

Student Accounts is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (except federal holidays). Payments received by the cashiers after 4:30 p.m. will be posted the following day.

When are paychecks distributed?

Paychecks are available on the 10th and 25th of each month. If the 10th or 25th falls on a Saturday, paychecks will be available on Friday the 9th or 24th. If the 10th or 25th falls on a Sunday, paychecks will be available on Monday the 11th or 26th.

Does the Cashiers Office cash checks?

No, our policy does not allow for the cashing of checks. All Central Washington University checks (refunds, payroll, etc.) can be cashed at US Bank.

All about Payments

  • You can view your account balance here.

How do I make payments on my student account? What forms of payment are accepted?


  • Current students - Please click here to access the CWU Real Time Payment System. Please refer to this document for guidance.
  • Parents- You can make payments as an authorized user, if the person you are paying for creates an account for you. Please refer to this guide to see how.
  • Perkins borrowers - Click here. In addition to your payment information you will need your CWU Student ID, First Name, and Last Name.
  • Payments posted through the online page will take one to two working days to appear on the account. The payment cutoff time is 3 p.m. PST. For example, payments made after 3 p.m. Friday will be posted on Tuesday. Payments can be made using a credit or debit card (Discover, Visa or MasterCard) or bank account (checking or savings). Please allow sufficient time for this payment to be processed by the due dates
  • Notice: There is no charge for web payments made from checking or savings account. TouchNet, the online credit card processing company, imposes a convenience fee of a 2.75 % on the amount of each transaction only to web payments made with the credit or debit card products: Visa, Master Card, and Discover.

In Person
In-person payments with cash, checks, credit or debit cards can be made weekdays from 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. at the Cashiers Office in Barge Hall, Room 104.

By Mail
If paying by mail, make sure to allow sufficient time for delivery. Make sure your check has your name and ID number for proper identification. Checks must be payable to Central Washington University and sent to:

Central Washington University
Cashiers Office
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7490

 Credit card payments cannot be made over the phone, by mail or by email.


CWU Centers Information

Payments can also be made in person at the following CWU Centers:

CWU – Des Moines
Phone: 206-439-3800
Higher Education Center, Building 29
2400 South 240th Street
Des Moines, WA 98198
Hours: Monday –Thursday 8-6, Friday 8-12
Accepts: Checks and credit cards

CWU – Lynnwood
Phone: 425-640-1574
Snoqualmie Hall
20000 68th Avenue West
Lynnwood, WA 98036-5999
Hours: Monday –Thursday 7-6, Friday closed
Accepts: Checks and credit cards

CWU – Pierce County
Phone: 253-964-6636
Olympic Building, 3rd Floor, Suite 330
9401 Farwest Drive
Lakewood, WA 98498
Hours: Monday – Thursday 8:30-6, Summer Quarter 8:30-5
Accepts: Check payments only

CWU – Wenatchee
Phone: 590-665-2600
Higher Education Center
1300 Fifth Avenue
Wenatchee, WA 98801
Hours: Monday – Thursday 9-5
Accepts: Drop off checks only

CWU – Yakima
Phone: 509-574-6894
Deccio Higher Education Center
1000 South 12th Avenue, Room 107
Yakima, WA 98907
Hours: Monday –Thursday 8-5, Friday 8-12
Accepts: Check payments only

Can I make a credit card payment over the phone?

NO. Credit card payments cannot be made over the phone, by mail, fax or by email. This is to ensure confidentiality and protect your credit information.

What if my online payment isn't processing?

When paying online, you need to use a credit card (or a debit card used as a credit card) if your balance is less than $2.00. E-checks will not process if your balance is less than $2.00. If you are paying a balance of $2.00 or more you can pay with either an E-check, debit or credit card.

Is there any way I can avoid paying the online convenience fee of 2.75%?

YES. Only payments made online using a credit or debit card are charged the 2.75% credit card convenience fee.

  • You can avoid paying the fee if you pay with your credit or debit card in person at the Cashiers/Student Accounts Office.
  • You can avoid paying the fee if you pay online with your checking or savings account.
  • Checks, money orders, cashier's checks or traveler's checks do not have a fee. Remember to always include your CWU ID number on the check.

If I make a credit card payment in error, will my convenience fee be refunded?

No. The convenience fee is charged by the payment processor, and it is not refundable even if the payment to which it relates was made in error, is canceled, refunded, or charged back.

If I use my debit card online, will I be charged the convenience fee?

Yes. If you use your debit card online like a credit card to pay your student account charges, the convenience fee will apply. You can pay with your debit card in person and there is no fee.

Are other online credit card companies charging a convenience fee for web transactions?

Yes. Many other universities in Washington and throughout the nation are currently utilizing credit card payment processing companies that charge a convenience fee of a 2.75% of the amount of the payment for credit and debit card transactions. Nevertheless, if you pay with your checking or savings account on the web there is no extra charge.

If I pay my tuition and fees with a credit card through the web and then later have a credit on my account, how will the overpayment be refunded to me?

We will refund the credit card that was used to make the payment which resulted in an overpayment. If your credit amount is more than the payment made with the credit or debit card, the remainder will be paid in check form or if you are set up for direct deposit, it will be sent electronically to your bank.

Can I specify which charge my payment goes to?

Yes, if you utilize the Real Time Payment system by paying through your MyCWU account. You may specify which charges to pay if your account is current, by paying in person or by mail. However, if you do not specify which charges the payment should pay or if your account is past due, it will pay the oldest charge first.

Can I make a payment plan to pay my account?

CWU offers a payment plan for current quarter charges that allows the student to pay the charges for the quarter in up to three installments. Students are able to enroll online through their MyCWU account. Any previous quarter charges must be paid before enrollment in this type of Payment Plan.

Can I make a payment arrangement to pay my past due balance?

Students may have a hold on their account and university services may have been suspended. These students will typically be invited in writing to establish a payment arrangement. Establishing a payment arrangement will not remove the hold and reinstate university services. The hold will be removed when the payment arrangement is fulfilled. Establishing a payment arrangement will prevent the account from being placed with a collection agency and collection fees added to the balance. Students will be contacted by Student Accounts staff through letters and email. Payment arrangements not honored by the debtor will be immediately canceled and the account placed with a collection agency without further notice.

Does CWU offer a Pre-Payment Plan?

Not yet. Nevertheless, students and their parents can make prepayments for a future quarter in person and by mail, clearly stating the student’s full name, ID and the quarter they want to pre-pay. Pre-payments made online must be accompanied by a letter or email to the Student Accounts Office. Any payment made in excess of the student charges due will be applied to a future quarter until the student requests the refund. If the overpayment was the result of a credit card payment it will be refunded back to the credit card.

Can I establish a payment plan if my account has been placed with a collection agency?

NO. Accounts placed with collection agencies must be negotiated with, and paid directly to the agency that is servicing your account. If a payment is made directly to Central (whether in person, by mail, or online), on an account placed at a collection agency, Central will immediately notify the collection agency of the payment and corresponding collection fees will be added to your account, without exception.

What about the 1% Interest fee on past due accounts?

I% Interest– Disputed Charges - Interest Waiver Petition Form

I% Interest on Past Due Accounts
Central Washington University has implemented the charge of 1% interest on past due accounts in accordance with RCW 43.17.240. It will apply to items on the CWU account that are at least 30 days past due. To avoid the 1% interest charge CWU accounts must be current at all times. For questions related to the interest charge, contact the Student Accounts Office by phone at: 509 963-3546, or by email at:

Disputed charges
The Office of Financial Management (OFM) has adopted rules specifying circumstances under which we will waive the interest. A charge that is disputed in writing and received by the Student Accounts Office before the interest is assessed will not accrue interest until the dispute is resolved. Make sure to send any dispute of a charge in your account to the Student Accounts Office by mail, email at:, or stop by our office in Barge 401 to submit your dispute. Disputes submitted to other departments may not be processed and the interest may be assessed on the disputed charge.

Interest Waiver Petition Form
Once the interest have been assessed, account holders may request a waiver based on certain situations prescribed by the Washington Code. An interest waiver petition form is available that contains all the guidelines on which you can base your petition. If you meet any of the conditions in the guidelines, please submit your 1% Interest Waiver Petition to the Student Accounts Office. This form is also available on the link above. Incomplete petition forms will not be processed.

What if I can't pay my balance?

If you know in advance that you will owe a balance not covered by your planned payment method, you have the option to sign up for the payment plan, which allows you to make multiple payments throughout the quarter. If you owe a balance you were not expecting, and you have spoken with Financial Aid and determined you cannot receive aid to pay toward the balance, we recommend you contact Student Accounts to talk about your options, as it may be possible to arrange to pay monthly installments toward your balance. Account balances can prevent you from being able to register for classes for the next quarter, so if you have a balance, we recommend contacting Student Accounts as soon as possible, to find out your options.

If you owe a balance and you have stopped attending Central, Student Accounts will call you to talk with you about your payment arrangement options. If payment arrangements are not made, Central will contact you in writing when your account is 60 days past due, to again offer you a payment arrangement option. If you choose to not make a payment arrangement (or if you make an arrangement but do not make the agreed-upon payments), at 90 days past due, Central will need to turn your account over to a collection agency, and the agency will contact you regarding your account.

How can my parents get information about my student account?

You need to authorize CWU, in writing, to give information about your student account to your parents or significant others. Without your authorization we will not give information about your account, even if your parents are paying for your educational expenses. You need to fill out the Release of Information Form and return to the Dean of Student Success Office or at Bouillon Hall, Room 204. Note: Federal Law does not allow us to release any detailed information about the student's account without his/her written permission, regardless of who is making the payments. You can also allow them to access your account online using your MyCWU access.

When will I receive my 1098-T form? Can I get a duplicate of my form? Where do I get more information about the Hope Scholarship and the Lifetime Learning tax credits?

The 1098-T forms will be mailed by January 31st. You can view and print all your 1098-T information online!! Go to your MyCWU account (easy instructions at right in the NEWS section). For detailed information about the tax credit, go to IRS Publication 970.

Back to top of page

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.