Skip to body


Western Undergraduate Exchange Program, 2017-2018

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Program waiver allows students throughout the western United States, the Pacific Island US Territories and free-standing states to enroll at a reduced tuition rate while seeking their first undergraduate degree. Participating states include:
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • North Dakota
  • Oregon
  • South Dakota
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming


Funding for the WUE program is determined by the state legislature. The number of WUE awards granted each year is dependent on state funding.
For up to date information on the WUE please visit the official WUE website.
The Western Undergraduate Exchange Program Requirements
Please Note: WUE policies and requirements are subject to change without notice.

Eligible students must:

  • Maintain residency in an eligible state
  • Maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA
  • Maintain at least half-time enrollment status.

There is no separate application process to be considered for the WUE—your admissions file with state residency data will determine your eligibility.

The WUE program does not apply to Summer Term, Study Abroad programs, or Remedial Courses

Post-baccalaureate students, graduate students, or students seeking a 2nd bachelor's degree are not eligible to receive the WUE.

Students do not need to maintain continuous enrollment to qualify for WUE renewal.

How is the WUE amount calculated each year?

The WUE award waives a portion of the out-of-state tuition so that your final tuition amount is 150% of in-state tuition. Example of the WUE tuition cost for the 2017-2018 academic year (costs are subject to change):

Estimated tuition for out-of state students:$20,855 
Estimated tuition for in-state residents:$6,748 
150% of in-state tuition$10,122 Your estimated tuition amount
Estimated WUE award:$10,733 Your estimated savings
Note: This waiver does not cover any mandatory fees or tuition overload.
Are WUE waivers renewable?

Yes. They are renewable for up to 12 academic quarters (four years) or 225 attempted credits, whichever comes first. This includes transfer credits, depending upon incoming class standing:

  • Freshman (0-44.9 credits) 12 quarters (4 years) or 225 attempted credits maximum, whichever comes first;
  • Transfer with sophomore standing (45-89.9 credits) 9 quarters (3 years), or 225 attempted credits maximum, whichever comes first;
  • Transfer with junior standing (90-134.9 credits) 6 quarters (2 years), or 225 attempted credits maximum, whichever comes first.
For the WUE to be renewable, students must:



Can I become a resident of Washington State while receiving the WUE?

No. Time accrued while receiving a WUE waiver will not count toward the length of time required to establish Washington State residency status. If you are or will be seeking Washington State residency, you must notify the Financial Aid Office immediately @  If you obtain Washington residency after receiving this award, your award will be canceled retroactively and may be subject to fines. WUE criteria are subject to change at any time and without notice.

Note: Residency is established through Registrar Services. Please refer to the Residency link on Registrar's Office for more information.


WUE Program for 2018-2019

The WUE program GPA requirement will change for the 2018-2019 academic year. Eligibility will be depend on the student’s earned credits:

0-89.9 credits: no GPA requirement
90+ credits: minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5

Note: CWU will consider all earned credits (transfer, Running Start, etc.) when determining a student’s eligibility for the WUE.


Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.