Skip to body

Resources and Reports

CWUR 3-50-210 Cash Advance

An advance for travel expenses is available to state employees traveling on official business. Cash advance requests must be at least $100 and must not exceed 30 days authorized per diem allowance. The online cash advance request must be submitted by the traveler when completing their online travel authorization at least five (5) working days prior to the departure date.

The traveler is responsible for refunding any unused cash advance at the cashier's office, Barge 105. All cash advance monies refunded to CWU must be deposited into Speedkey 2105600001 and account code 16902. According to the State Administrative and Accounting Manual (SAAM) section 10.80.60.d, the completed travel expense report shall be submitted online on or before the tenth day of the following month in which the traveler’s official travel status ended.

Advances not settled within the allowable period are considered delinquent accounts. The full unpaid amount shall become immediately due and payable, with interest of 10% per annum from date of default until paid, and may result in the university withholding from the employee the amount of the delinquent cash advance plus interest (SAAM 10.80.60.e).

Reference the interest calculator on the CWU Travel website.

Employees may have only one cash advance outstanding at any given time and no advance shall be made to any employee with an outstanding or delinquent account.

The advance shall only be made to the individual employee to cover his/her own per diem allowance. Only when a faculty advisor is traveling with a group of students, for whom travel expenses are allowed, shall an advance be made to the faculty advisor on behalf of the group. The faculty advisor is accountable for such advance. Reference CWUR 3-50-260 Domestic Group Travel Procedures for more information.

IRS regulations require that failure on the part of a traveler receiving a cash advance to substantiate the travel expenses or to return the unspent portion of the cash advance within a reasonable time period will have the advance reported as income and the amount is subject to applicable payroll withholding tax.

In lieu of a cash advance, employees are encouraged to obtain and utilize a corporate travel charge card. These cards can be obtained by contacting for an application and regulations.

[Responsibility: BFA; Authority: BAC; Reviewed/Endorsed by: Cabinet/PAC; Review/Effective Date: 02/01/2017; Approved by: James L. Gaudino, President]


Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.