Applies to – All non-represented classified employees. To the extent that this procedure addresses terms not covered under collective bargaining agreements for represented employees, the terms of this procedure shall prevail.
The President’s Executive Leadership Team shall:
- Promote performance management as a means of achieving the university’s mission, strategic goals and objectives.
- Recognize and commit to providing the necessary time to perform work associated with the performance management.
- Develop and communicate organizational goals and objectives to assist supervisors and managers in fulfilling their responsibilities under this policy.
- Ensure that each division within the university establishes and follows an internal performance management process that complies with the WAC, this policy, and the university procedures.
- Ensure fair and consistent application of this procedure and university procedures.
- Render decisions on matters for which authority has not otherwise been delegated.
Vice presidents, and division and department heads shall:
- Promote performance management as a means of achieving the organization’s mission, strategic goals and objectives.
- Recognize and commit to providing managers and supervisors the necessary time to perform work associated with the performance management process.
- Communicate the departments and the university’s, mission, strategic goals, and objectives to all employees within their unit.
- Provide input into university performance management procedures, and develop departmental performance management procedures in compliance with this policy and university procedures.
- Ensure supervisors and employees receive appropriate performance management orientation and training.
- Ensure that performance management policy and procedures are shared throughout the department and that employees at all levels comply.
- Ensure that all managers and supervisors are accountable for, and evaluated on, their performance related to performance management.
- Ensure that performance development plans are used to make administrative decisions such as training, rewarding, reassigning, promoting, and disciplining employees.
- Review employee performance and development plans to ensure consistency, timeliness, and compliance with policy and procedure.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of department performance management procedures, and take corrective action as warranted.
- Consult with human resources regarding this policy and university procedures.
Managers and supervisors shall:
- Communicate organizational goals and objectives to subordinate employees and link these to the employees’ performance and development plans.
- Participate in, and ensure employee participation in, performance management orientation and training.
- Effectively manage the performance of subordinate employees in accordance with this policy and university and department performance management procedures.
- Provide employees with regular verbal and written feedback and assessment in the course of conducting timely and accurate employee performance development plans.
- Hold employees accountable for their performance. Ensure good performance is recognized and rewarded and that there are appropriate consequences for poor performance.
- Consult with human resources regarding performance management policy and procedure.
Human Resources shall:
- Develop and implement university performance management procedures.
- Provide, or arrange for critical performance management training and orientation.
- Provide advice and assistance to supervisors and managers in carrying out performance management responsibilities.
- Periodically evaluate university compliance with this policy and related procedures, assess effectiveness of performance management within the university, and provide findings to the president’s cabinet.
- Cooperate and communicate with their supervisors throughout the performance management process, seeking clarification when needed in order to understand what is expected.
- Take personal accountability for their performance and development.
- Perform assigned duties and meet job standards and performance expectations.
- Attend required training identified in the performance development plan as assigned and as otherwise directed.
- Participate in performance management orientation and training.
Performance Management: An integrated set of processes supporting the effective utilization and development of staff to improve the organization’s performance and achieve its goals. Individual performance management involves aligning the job of each employee with the organizational strategic plan so that the employee’s efforts are focused on behaviors, products, and services that contribute to the success of the organization and the university.
Performance and Development Plan: A systematic process, and a standardized form, used for establishing and documenting each employee’s key responsibilities and competencies, performance expectations, and training and development needs, and to assess the employee’s success at achieving performance expectations and demonstrating competency excellence.
[Responsibility: BFA; Authority: WAC 357-37 Performance Management, CWUP 2-30-160; Reviewed/Endorsed by: PAC; Review/Effective Date: 07/01/2005; 07/01/2008; 03/30/2012; Approved by: James L. Gaudino, President]