Skip to body

Resources and Reports

CWUR 2-90-020 Undergraduate Admission

CWUR 2-90-020 (1) Admission Policy Endorsement
CWUR 2-90-020 (2) First Year Applicants
CWUR 2-90-020 (3) Transfer Applicants
CWUR 2-90-020 (4) Applicants Without High School Diplomas
CWUR 2-90-020 (5) International Students
CWUR 2-90-020 (6) Alternative Admissions
CWUR 2-90-020 (7) Leaves of Absence
CWUR 2-90-020 (8) Admissions Appeals
CWUR 2-90-020 (9) Readmission of Former Students
CWUR 2-90-020 (10) Readmission of Former Students Due to Military Exigency
CWUR 2-90-020 (11) Provisional Enrollment
CWUR 2-90-020 (12) Offer of Admission
CWUR 2-90-020 (13) Applicants for Non-matriculated Status
CWUR 2-90-020 (14) High School Enrichment Program
CWUR 2-90-020 (15) Running Start


(1) Admission Policy Endorsement 

(A) First Year applicants must arrange to have official copies of all high school and college transcripts, as well as official score reports from ACT or SAT sent to the Office of Admissions. Applicants must also arrange to have official copies of documents verifying other credit related items (e.g., College Board Advanced Placement scores, CLEP® credits, military transcriptions, etc.) sent to the Office of Admissions if they wish to have such credit considered for posting to their Central Washington University transcript.

(B) Applicants must follow published deadlines. After university deadlines have passed, the university may admit applicants on a space-available basis.

Back to Top

(2) First Year Applicants

No procedures

(3) Transfer Applicants

(A) Applicants who have earned the Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) degree from an accredited Washington State community college (or approved out-of-state associate degree) will receive priority consideration for admission.

(B) Transfer applicants with an associate degree from an accredited community college (as delineated in the DTA) will have fulfilled the general education requirements and the foreign language graduation requirements (CWUP 5-90-040(6)).

(C) Transfer applicants without an associate degree must satisfy the foreign language  graduation requirement prior to completing a total of 135 credits.


Back to Top

(4) Applicants Without High School Diplomas (or alternatively graduated applicants).

(A) Students may be admitted based on their test of general education development (GED) scores or their ACT, SAT, COMPASS, or other standardized test scores, and personal essay statement.

(B) Other alternative admission criteria

1.  College in the High School programs, such as Running Start and Cornerstone, administered through the office of continuing education provide high school students the opportunity to take CWU college courses on their high school campus during regular school hours.

2.    College in the High School courses must be academic in nature and at the 100-200 level.  All courses must follow approved CWU syllabi (CWUP 5-90-040(37)) and use textbooks approved by the department chair or chair designee. College in the 

3.  Academic departments will assess all classes included in the College in the High School programs.  For all courses taught as part of the program, teachers are required to administer the university’s Student Evaluation of Instruction (SEOI) or alternative assessment approved by the department chair.

(C)  Applicants may also be required to complete supplement information and/or meet with admissions counselors.

(D) Applicants in this category are considered according to the alternative admission process.  (See CWUP 5-90-020(6))

Back to Top

(5) International Students

(A) International students must submit the university's international student application for admission with a non-refundable application processing fee.

(B) Applicants must submit official transcripts from all secondary schools and colleges evaluated by one of the two agencies listed below or the CWU transcript evaluator.  Transcripts must have a complete course-by-course evaluation.  The completed evaluation must be submitted to CWU with a copy (original or photocopy) of the transcript.  If the original transcript is not written in English, a certified English translation must also be submitted.

1.  Foundation for International Services (FIS), Inc. (Note FIS provides a CWU-specific application and evaluation.)

2.  World Education Services (WES).

3.  CWU Transcript Evaluator

(C) Examination results, such as general certificate of education, ordinary and advanced level scores, West African school certificate, Hong Kong certificate of education or advanced level certificate, etc., should be sent directly from the testing center in charge of administering the examinations.  Personal student papers, copies, or attested copies are not normally accepted for admission or evaluation purposes.

Back to Top

(6) Alternative Admissions

(A) Minimum alternative admission requirements are established by the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC). No more than 15% of first year students who are offered admission may fall under the alternative admissions standard. Additional alternative admissions criteria may be established by the Academic Affairs Committee in consultation with the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management. The comprehensive review process looks first at cognitive, then non-cognitive factors:

1. The cognitive score for first year applicants is designed to predict first-year academic performance. It evaluates quality of the coursework, senior year course schedule, HS cumulative GPA, grade trends, test scores, and completion of core course subject requirements. For transfer students, the cognitive score evaluates cumulative college GPA, quality of coursework, basic skills completion, preparation for the major, and grade trends.

2. Non-cognitive factors are all other factors that may affect a person’s ability to perform to their fullest potential. This includes, but is not limited to, traits such as positive self-concept; realistic self-appraisal; understanding and navigating systems; long-range goal planning; successful leadership experience; demonstrated community service; and special talents, skills and/or acquired knowledge.

(B) The Admissions Review Committee may request personal essay statements; updated transcripts; test scores; letters of recommendation; or other supporting documents.

(C) Students who are admitted through the alternative admissions process may either be admitted regularly, or with conditions as recommended by the Admissions Review Committee or Director of Admissions. Conditions may include:

1. Taking courses during first year of study to address missing core requirements.

2. Requirement to participate in intensive academic support programs, such as the Student Transitions and Academic Resources Program (STAR), Student Support Services, or the College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP).

3. Admission on Warning or Probationary status.

4. Meeting regularly with an academic advisor.


Back to Top

(7) Leaves of Absence

(A) Undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students who do not enroll for consecutive academic quarters (exclusive of summer), and are planning to take two quarters off, must reapply for admission. However, if students meet the criteria below, they may be granted a leave of absence, which means that they do not have to reapply for re-admission their returning quarter and that they may register early for classes as continuing students at the designated time.

The application for leave of absence must be submitted to Registrar Services at least two weeks prior to the term for which the student is seeking leave.

Leaves will be approved only if attending consecutive quarters would present an exceptional hardship or loss of opportunity.

Students may be granted for up to two quarters at a time. Additional consecutive quarters must be petitioned separately.

(B) Graduate students need to contact the school of graduate studies for leave of absence information.

Back to Top


(8) Admissions Appeals

(A) Applicants who wish to appeal an admissions decision must contact the CWU Office of Admissions for instructions on the Admission Appeal Process and associated deadlines. An Admissions Appeals Committee will meet regularly to review completed files for appeal, which must include a letter from the applicant explaining the reason(s) for the appeal, along with other supporting documents, such as letters of recommendation speaking to the applicant’s ability to succeed in college.

(9) Readmission of Former Students

(A) Eligibility for readmission will be based on performance at Central Washington University as well as on additional college-level work.

(B) Students must arrange for transcripts of the additional work to be sent to the Office of Admissions if they have attended college elsewhere during their absence.

(10) Readmission of Former Students Due to Military Exigency

(A) If military commitments prevent students from registration, requests for extensions will be considered. Should a course required for graduation or a course as part of a required sequence be closed, every effort will be made to accommodate the student. Requests for accommodations should be directed to the appropriate college dean.

(B) Should students called to active military service earn college credit while on active duty, they shall not be considered transfer students for readmission purposes, but the transfer of said credits is subject to acceptance of transfer credit as outlined in CWUP 5-90-030.

(C) As long as the university receives the proper notification, the student will not need to reapply for admission when he/she is ready to return to CWU.


Back to Top

(11) Provisional Enrollment

No procedures

(12) Offer of Admission

(A) Students offered admission to the university must confirm their intention to enroll by paying a nonrefundable Enrollment Confirmation Deposit (ECD) before they can begin the orientation, registration, and advising process.  An ECD waiver process is available for students with economic hardship.

(B) Students who choose not to accept offers of admission must notify the Office of Admission in writing.

(C) The university may withdraw an offer of admission if, between the time of application and the quarter of intended enrollment, an applicant’s academic work results in not meeting the requirements for admission.  In this case, the ECD will be refunded.

(D) The university will not withdraw an offer of admission until after May 1.  After that date applicants who have not paid the ECD may be denied admission if space is not available.

Back to Top

(13) Applicants for Non-matriculated Status

(A) Non-matriculated students do not need to go through the regular admissions process but apply through the Registrar Services, and will be allowed to register on a space-available basis.

(B) Credits earned when in non-matriculated status may not be used to satisfy degree or certificate requirements unless the student matriculates, in which case a maximum of 45 credits may be applied unless they have been enrolled in a special program such as Running Start or Cornerstone.

(C) A student who is under active suspension from the university will not be permitted to register in non-matriculated status.

(D) Non-matriculated students are not eligible for most financial aid, veteran's benefits, credit evaluations, or other services regularly provided for matriculated students unless they are enrolled in a College in the High School program.

Back to Top

(14) High School Enrichment Program

Students who have not yet graduated from high school may be allowed to enroll as non-matriculated students for courses that they need to advance academically, provided that such academic opportunities are not readily available to them elsewhere.

To be eligible for the High School Enrichment Program, students must have demonstrated superior academic performance or preparation in the area of study for which they are applying. High School Enrichment Program applicants must submit official copies of their high school transcript. Some courses may require that the student submit ACT, SAT, or COMPASS scores in order to qualify for placement into those courses. In addition, they must complete the High School Enrichment application that is available from Registrar Services, and obtain the approval of their high school principal, and the course instructor.

Back to Top

(15) Running Start

(Procedures to be developed for on-campus and in-the-high-school offerings.)

Responsibility: Faculty Senate; Authority: Provost/VP for Academic & Student Life; Reviewed/Endorsed by Provost’s Council 04-29-2014: Cabinet/UPAC; Review/Effective Date: 06/04/2014; 8/26/19Approved by: James L. Gaudino, President]

Back to Top

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.