Skip to body

Resources and Reports

CWUP 8-20-070 University Housing and New Student Programs

All university-owned and sponsored housing must be made available without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, age, marital status, disability, or status as a disabled or Vietnam-era veteran. The university may provide separate housing on the basis of sex, provided that, as a whole, it is comparable in both quantity and quality to that provided to students of the other sex. Comparable, convenient, and accessible housing for students with disabilities will be provided at the same cost as to others.

All full-time, single, first-year students of CWU under twenty years of age are required to live in university residence hall facilities. Residence hall facilities do not include apartments for single or married students. Exceptions may be granted to the following students:

1. Those who are living with parents or relatives.
2. Those whose medical condition precludes the possibility of residence hall living.
3. Those employed off campus, and must live where their work is performed, and/or board is a part of their overall compensation.
4. Those who will reach the age of twenty within thirty days after the start of the quarter.
5. Those who have completed six quarters as a full-time student.
6.  Students who matriculate into on-line degree programs.

7. Students who wish to live off campus for other reasons must obtain the approval of the associate dean of student success for student living.

The university reserves the right to deny a student on-campus housing for prior criminal convictions. The determination will be made by the associate dean of student success for student living and/or designee.

Only residents, their guests, persons with official business, and associate members of University Housing, are authorized to enter or use the buildings or their facilities. Use of common areas by nonresidents may be approved by the associate dean of student success for student living.

(1) Apartments - Only students, staff, faculty and those involved in a university program are eligible to live in central’s apartments. Students must enroll in and maintain a minimum of seven credit hours each quarter during the academic year. They are not required to enroll during summer session if they will be enrolled the following fall quarter. Occasionally, if circumstances require student to be enrolled in fewer hours or not enrolled, their staying in the apartment during this time may be approved. Those involved in a university program include staff, faculty, students, persons working on a thesis and who are not enrolled, and those working on a project with a department of the university. Also eligible are visiting faculty and students of another school who are involved in a program of that institution which is conducted on central’s campus or the Ellensburg area.

(2) Residence Halls - To reside in a residence hall, one must be enrolled as a student of CWU, be a full-time staff person of central, or be involved in a university program. Also eligible are faculty and students of another school who are involved in a program of that institution which is conducted on CWU’s campus or in the Ellensburg area.

[Responsibility: Dean of Student Success; Authority: Provost/VP for Academic & Student Life; Reviewed/Endorsed by: Provost’s Council 7-24-2012/Cabinet/PAC; Review/Effective Date: 12-04-2013; Approved by: James L. Gaudino, President]

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.