Skip to body

Resources and Reports

CWUP 5-130-040 Transfer Credit for Graduate Degree Programs

(1) Courses taken prior to formal admission to a CWU graduate degree program may be considered for transfer to a CWU graduate degree program provided that the criteria below are met.  The university reserves the right to determine the acceptability of transfer credit from any institution. All transfer credits must come from accredited institutions.

(A) A total of 15 graduate quarter credits may be applied to a CWU degree, of which no more than 9 quarter credits (6 semester credits) may be from institutions offering graduate degrees other than CWU. A total of 20 quarter credits (13.33 semester credits) may be applied to a CWU educational specialist degree. Additional transfer credits may be applied toward degree for those programs of study arising from formal degree articulation agreements between CWU and other institutions of higher learning.  For graduate certificates, no more than 6 quarter credits (4 semester credits) can be applied from either CWU or other institutions.

(B) Credits used to fulfill requirements for another master’s degree, either at CWU or elsewhere, will not be transferred towards a CWU master’s degree.

(C) Credits accepted in transfer must be part of an institution’s regular graduate degree programs.

(D) In cases where courses sought for transfer generate both undergraduate and graduate credit, students receiving transfer credit are expected to have elected the course(s) at the graduate level and thus have completed more qualitatively and quantitatively than those who have taken the course(s) for undergraduate credit.

(E) Credit sought for transfer must be graded “B” or higher and must have been completed no more than six years before the date of the student’s graduate certificate or master’s degree program completion. The cumulative grade point average is computed for grades earned at CWU as a graduate student at CWU.

(F) All credits intended for transfer must be recommended for approval by the departmental/program head as a part of the official course of study filed with the SGSR. Before transfer credit can be considered part of a graduate student’s program, an official transcript from the institution from which the credit is to be transferred must be received by the SGSR.

(G) Credit for short courses, attendance at conferences, brokered courses, workshops, and pass-fail courses are normally not accepted in transfer.

(H) Credit from any non-accredited institution or accredited institution not approved for graduate study will not be accepted for transfer.

(I) Credit obtained within the state of Washington from an institution whose main campus is outside of the state will be considered for transfer only by special petition to the dean of the School of Graduate Studies and Research.

[Responsibility: Dean Graduate Studies; Authority: Provost/VP for Academic & Student Life; Reviewed/Endorsed by: Provost’s Council 02/18/2020; Cabinet; Review/Effective Date: 06/17/2020; Approved by: James L. Gaudino, President]

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.