Law and Justice focuses on the areas of criminal justice, criminology, law, and social justice. Students study core institutions involved in criminal and juvenile justice (police, courts, corrections) as well as key content areas of study (criminal and procedural law, criminology, constitutional law, civil law). This prepares students to be knowledgeable about the systems they will work in and prepares them to be actively engaged in shaping practice and policy within agencies. Special emphasis is placed on how these fundamental institutions serve and interact with society. Upon completion, students will be prepared to work in agencies in law and justice and/or pursue graduate level work (graduate school or law school).
Likely Career Paths
Law enforcement, attorney, correctional officer, probation and parole, correctional counseling, case worker, court administration, paralegal/legal assistant, social service/non-profit agency, wildlife agent.
- Cost: University-wide costs (cwu.edu/financial-aid/cost-attendance)
- Location: Ellensburg, CWU-Des Moines, CWU-Lynnwood, CWU-Pierce County, Online
- Primary contact: Department of Law and Justice | 509-963-3026 | LAJ@cwu.edu | cwu.edu/law
Completion of a direct transfer agreement (DTA) is preferred. No other specific courses are required prior to transfer for admission to the Law and Justice major. Major may be completed in two full-time years after arrival.
The Transfer Equivalency Site (TES) provides CWU equivalencies of courses at other colleges and universities.
- Students are encouraged to complete a DTA (Direct Transfer Agreement) before admission to the degree.
- Any Washington state DTA (Direct Transfer Agreement) degree will satisfy all general education requirements.
- Major requirements may change over time; students will be expected to meet the catalog requirements in place the quarter they are admitted to the major. Current catalog: https://catalog.acalog.cwu.edu/
Admissions: 509-963-1211 | email@example.com | cwu.edu/admissions
Financial Aid: 509-963-1611 | FinancialAid@cwu.edu | cwu.edu/financial-aid
Scholarship Information: 509-963-1611 | Scholarships@cwu.edu | cwu.edu/scholarships/
Transfer Center: 509-963-1390 | firstname.lastname@example.org | cwu.edu/transfer
Veterans: 509-963-3028 | VA@cwu.edu | cwu.edu/veterans
International: +1-509-963-3612 | email@example.com | cwu.edu/programs/international-student-admissions