This major is intended to prepare students to become birth through grade 3 teaching specialists. Because this major requires less than 60 credits, a second major or a minor is required. Students may pursue this program for Washington State Teacher Certification or not, as follows.
- with Washington State Teacher Certification Students seeking the teacher certification endorsement in early childhood education must complete Teacher Certification and Secondary Education Major requirements.
- without Washington State Teacher Certification This option exists for those individuals who wish to work with young children in birth-age 8 settings that do not require teacher certification. In this situation, students will not need to complete Teacher Certification and Secondary Education Major requirements, but will still need to select a second major or a minor.
Likely Career Paths
Teach in a Washington state public elementary school, grades P-3
- Cost: University-wide costs (cwu.edu/financial-aid/cost-attendance); state-mandated testing and fingerprinting fees, which are not set by CWU but that typically run $200-500 (at time of publication).
- Location: Ellensburg
- Primary contact: CEPSAdvising@cwu.edu | cwu.edu/teaching-learning
|CWU Course #||CWU Course Name||Transfer Course #|
|EFC 250||Introduction to Education (4)||EDUC& 202 (or TES)|
|PSY 314||Human Development and the Learner (4)||PSYC& 200 (or TES)|
The Transfer Equivalency Site (TES) provides CWU equivalencies for courses at other colleges and universities.
- Students who have a DTA will have general education requirements satisfied. Transfer credits inside the major will need to be articulated by the registrar first and then reviewed by a faculty member.
- Any Washington state DTA (Direct Transfer Agreement) degree will satisfy all general education requirements, but may not meet the Teacher Certification Program course pre-requisite requirements. Requirements can be found at Teacher Certification Program Admission.
- Major requirements may change over time; students will be expected to meet the catalog requirements in place at the time they are admitted to the major. Current catalog: https://catalog.acalog.cwu.edu/
Admissions: 509-963-1211 | firstname.lastname@example.org | cwu.edu/admissions
Financial Aid: 509-963-1611 | FinancialAid@cwu.edu | cwu.edu/financial-aid
Scholarship Information: 509-963-1611 | Scholarships@cwu.edu | cwu.edu/scholarships/
Transfer Center: 509-963-1390 | email@example.com | cwu.edu/transfer
Veterans: 509-963-3028 | VA@cwu.edu | cwu.edu/veterans
International: +1-509-963-3612 | firstname.lastname@example.org | cwu.edu/programs/international-student-admissions