The foundations of the field of computer science include both mathematics and engineering. Consequently, studies in computer science range from theory through experimental techniques to engineering methodology. Focus areas in our department include artificial intelligence, scientific computing, data science, and cybersecurity.
Likely Career Paths
Software engineer, mobile application developer, network architect, systems analyst, web developer, security analyst
- Cost: University-wide costs (cwu.edu/financial-aid/cost-attendance). Most lab classes include a $10 class fee, totaling to around $200 over the course of the major.
- Location: Ellensburg, CWU-Des Moines
- Primary contact: Eva Whitsett, Ellensburg Academic Advisor | 509-963-1498 | email@example.com | cwu.edu/computer-science
- Primary contact: Angela Murry-Walker, CWU-Des Moines Academic Advisor | 509-963-3808 | firstname.lastname@example.org | cwu.edu/computer-science
|CWU Course #||CWU Course Name||Transfer Course #|
|ENG 101||Composition 1: Critical Reading and Responding||ENGL& 101|
|ENG 102||Academic Writing II||ENGL& 102 (or see TES)|
|MATH 172||Calculus 1||MATH& 151|
|CS 110||Programming Fundamentals I (Java)||CS& 141 (or see TES)|
|CS 111||Programming Fundamentals II (Java)||Course numbers vary, see TES|
Other options may be available, we recommend viewing the Transfer Equivalency Site (TES) for other acceptable equivalences or contacting us.
- Students who come in with an AA-DTA can finish in two full-time years.
- Students who come in with an Associate in Science - Track II will typically have some CS electives already completed but will still need 15-20 credits OR 3-4 knowledge areas of general education coursework.
- CWU’s foundational programming language is Java (not C++).
- A grade of C or higher is required in each course in order to progress to the next one in CS sequences.
- Students can declare the major immediately after matriculating, no selection process is required.
- Any Washington state DTA (Direct Transfer Agreement) degree will satisfy all general education requirements.
- Major requirements may change over time; students will be expected to meet the catalog requirements in place the quarter they are admitted to the major. Current catalog: https://catalog.acalog.cwu.edu/