The BS biochemistry degree is designed for students who are interested in the study of the biochemical pathways in the body, enzyme activity, metabolism, and laboratory techniques such as cloning and PCR. Students have the opportunity to engage in undergraduate research in biochemistry and biochemistry-related research.
Likely Career Paths
Research Scientist, Pharmaceutical/Health Sciences Researcher, Environmental Cleanup, Medical Professional (Doctor, Dentist, Pharmacist, Optometrist), Industrial Hygienist. Past alumni work for a variety of employers including Seattle Genetics, University of Washington, Pace International, Haas, Department of Ecology, Department of Health, and Pacific Northwest National Labs.
Cost: University-wide costs (cwu.edu/financial-aid/cost-attendance). Lab courses cost $45 per course.
Primary contact: Chemistry@cwu.edu | 509-963-2811 | www.cwu.edu/chemistry/
|CWU Course #||CWU Course Name||Transfer Course #|
|MATH 153||Precalculus I||MATH& 141|
|MATH 154||Precalculus II||MATH& 142|
|MATH 172||Calculus I||MATH& 151|
|MATH 173||Calculus II||MATH& 152|
|CHEM 181 + CHEM 181 lab||General Chemistry I||CHEM& 161|
|CHEM 182 + CHEM 182 lab||General Chemistry II||CHEM& 162|
|CHEM 183 + CHEM 183 lab||General Chemistry III||CHEM& 163|
The Transfer Equivalency Site (TES) provides CWU equivalencies for courses at other colleges and universities.
- It is recommended students pursue and earn an AA-DTA.
- Any Washington state DTA (Direct Transfer Agreement) degree will satisfy all general education requirements.
- Students transferring with an AS-T (Associate in Science-Transfer) will need to take additional coursework to fulfill CWU general education requirements.
- Students must have earned a grade of C- or higher in all prerequisites to be admitted to a course. To graduate, all chemistry majors are required to achieve at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA and a 2.25 GPA in courses required for the major.
- Major requirements may change over time; students will be expected to meet the catalog requirements in place at the time they are admitted to the major. Current catalog: https://catalog.acalog.cwu.edu/
Admissions: 509-963-1211 | firstname.lastname@example.org | cwu.edu/admissions
Financial Aid: 509-963-1611 | FinancialAid@cwu.edu | cwu.edu/financial-aid
Scholarship Information: 509-963-1611 | Scholarships@cwu.edu | cwu.edu/scholarships/
Transfer Center: 509-963-1390 | email@example.com | cwu.edu/transfer
Veterans: 509-963-3028 | VA@cwu.edu | cwu.edu/veterans
International: +1-509-963-3612 | firstname.lastname@example.org | cwu.edu/programs/international-student-admissions