Skip to body


Contact Us

Registrar Services
Bouillon Hall 140
(509) 963-3001

Graduation FAQs

Where can I apply for graduation? What if I miss the deadline for graduation?

You will need to apply for graduation through MyCWU. You will select “My Academics” in the Academic Toolbox then select the “Apply for graduation” link. The process involves answering a few questions about when you plan on graduating, what your major is, and taking a quick exit survey about your department. If you miss the deadline for graduation, you will need to contact Degree Checkout at 509-963-3524.

What problems are most likely to prevent students from graduating?

Students are denied most often for the following reasons:

  • Not completing general education requirements or a transferrable AA-DTA degree
  • Not meeting the 180 credit university degree requirement (no exceptions are made)
  • Not meeting the 45 credit residency university degree requirement (no exceptions are made)
  • Not meeting the 60 credit upper division university degree requirement (no exceptions are made)
  • Not meeting the upper division GPA requirement, if required in your major
  • Not meeting the 2.00 CWU cumulative GPA requirement
  • Not meeting the minimum GPA requirements for majors and minors

How long will it take for me to receive my diploma?

It takes 8-10 weeks, depending on the quarter you graduate, to receive your diploma. Spring has the highest number of degree applicants, so it will take longer after spring grades have been cleared to post degrees and mail diplomas.

How soon can I order an official transcript with the degree posted?

Usually, degrees are posted 2-3 weeks after the end of a term. You can request a transcript prior to leaving the institution and request that it be held until the degree has been posted before it is sent. There is a $10 fee for each official transcript request.

What if I realize I will not be finished in the quarter that I have applied for?

Fill out a Graduation Application Withdrawal form (paper copies available at the centers and in Degree Checkout) and a new Application for Degree form for the correct quarter. There is a $20 reapplication fee.

I walked at Commencement, does that mean my degree was awarded?

Not necessarily.   Commencement is a ceremony.  Being awarded your degree is a separate process that involves a degree audit done by Degree Checkout.   Students that applied for Spring or Summer graduation are NOT guaranteed that their degree will be awarded, unless they are at Approved status, even if they walked at Commencement.   Check your CWU Outlook email for information regarding your degree sent by Degree Checkout or contact them at 963-3524



Where do I register for commencement?

Registration for 2020 is open from March 1 - May 10. Click Here or navigate to: to register. 

Where do I get commencement ceremony information?

The commencement homepage at will be updated with all new ceremony information as it becomes available.

Who can participate in the June commencement ceremony?

Students are eligible to participate in the June 2020 commencement ceremony if they have received their degree in summer 2019, fall 2019, or winter 2020. Students who are degree candidates for spring 2020 or summer 2020 are also eligible to participate in commencement.

Is there a limit to how many friends or family members I can bring to commencement? Are tickets needed?

There is no limit to how many friends or family members you may invite to commencement, but you will want to remind everyone that seating is first come, first serve.

Is it possible to walk in a different ceremony than the one assigned to me?

Ceremonies are assigned based on your academic college and switches may not be made unless there are extenuating circumstances. Please email with any questions




I lost my registration code, is it important?

Yes, the registration code is very important to your regalia order - it shows that you have registered to participate in Commencement and gives the Wildcat Shop permission to process your order. If you do not include this code, your regalia order may be delayed as they wait for verification. For quick and timely processing, be sure to include your registration code.

Do I qualify for an Honors Tassel?

Honors are based on the GPA of all credits earned at CWU, as well as all transfer credits accepted by CWU. At least 45 credits must be earned at CWU with a minimum of 45 credits taken on the A-F graded basis. Summer candidates are not eligible for honors recognition at commencement.

  • 3.5-3.69 Cum Laude
  • 3.7-3.89 Magna Cum Laude
  • 3.9-4.0 Summa Cum Laude

Where can I pick up honors tassels?

Summer 2019, fall 2019, winter 2020 and spring 2020 candidates may pick up their honors tassel at any of the "Grad Kick Off" events, or from Degree Checkout in Registrar Services or at the University Center Administration Office after that.  Summer 2020 candidates participating in the 2020 commencement are not eligible for honors recognition at that event, but they may request an honors tassel be mailed with their diploma. Masters and post-baccalaureate students are not eligible for honors.

Where do I pick up my regalia?

Regalia can be picked up at the Wildcat Shop or you can have it mailed to you. Please contact the Wildcat Shop at 509-963-1311 if you need help arranging to receive your regalia.

What do I need to bring to pick up my regalia?

Please bring your student ID and a copy of your receipt. If a parent has ordered for you, please come prepared with the information given to them in a confirmation email.

How long does it take to receive regalia through the mail?

Due to the amount of graduation orders we receive during the weeks leading up to Commencement, processing and shipping time may slow down to accommodate orders. If everything is currently in stock, regalia orders will usually be sent out within a week of the placed order date.

What is included in the Regalia Package?

The Regalia package includes everything you need for your Commencement. Each package includes: 1 gown, 1 cap, 1 stole, 1 zipper pull, and 1 standard tassel. If you want additional items - such as a zipper pull, tassel, etc. - they can be purchased separately.

There are two different colors for regalia, what is the difference?

Crimson gowns are for undergraduates, black gowns are for masters.

Can I decorate my cap?

Yes, of course! As long as it is appropriate, you can decorate your cap anyway you would like.




Still have questions?
For information about regalia, contact the Wildcat Shop at: 509-963-1311
For information about graduation, contact Degree Checkout at 509-963-3524
For information about the commencement ceremony, contact the Commencement Office at

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.