Office of the Registrar
Bouillon Hall 140
Phone: (509) 963-3001
Fax: (509) 963-1230

Media Box Image

Graduates with Wellington Wildcat at Commencement

Graduation: Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where can I apply for graduation?

    You will need to apply for graduation through MyCWU. You will select “Graduation” on the left side of the student dashboard then select the “Apply for graduation” link. The process involves answering a few questions about when you plan on graduating and what your major is. Apply Online to get started.

  • What if I miss the deadline for graduation?

    If you miss the deadline for graduation, you will need to petition for late graduation and fill out the graduation application.

  • What problems are most likely to prevent students from graduating?

    Students are denied most often for the following reasons:

    • Not completing general education requirements or a transferrable AA-DTA degree
    • Not meeting the 180 credit university degree requirement (no exceptions are made)
    • Not meeting the 45 credit residency university degree requirement (no exceptions are made)
    • Not meeting the 60 credit upper division university degree requirement (no exceptions are made)
    • Not meeting the upper division GPA requirement, if required in your major
    • Not meeting the 2.00 CWU cumulative GPA requirement
    • Not meeting the minimum GPA requirements for majors and minors
  • How long will it take for me to receive my diploma?

    It takes 8-10 weeks, depending on the quarter you graduate, to receive your diploma. Spring has the highest number of degree applicants, so it will take longer after spring grades have been cleared to post degrees and mail diplomas.

  • How soon can I order an official transcript with the degree posted?

    Usually, degrees are posted 2-3 weeks after the end of a term. You can request a transcript prior to leaving the institution and request that it be held until the degree has been posted before it is sent. There is a $12.50 fee for each official transcript request.

  • What if I realize I will not be finished in the quarter that I have applied for?

    Fill out a Graduation Application Withdrawal form (paper copies available at the centers and in Degree Checkout) and a new Application for Degree form for the correct quarter. There is a $20 reapplication fee.

  • I walked at Commencement, does that mean my degree was awarded?

    Not necessarily. Commencement is a ceremony. Being awarded your degree is a separate process that involves a degree audit done by Degree Checkout. Students that applied for Spring or Summer graduation are NOT guaranteed that their degree will be awarded, unless they are at Approved status, even if they walked at Commencement. Check your CWU Outlook email or advising notes for information regarding your degree status.

Graduation Information

For more information regarding degree completion, go to Graduation Requirements.

For more information regarding commencement, go to Commencement Information.