If you can't find your answer here, please contact one of staff members for assistance!

  • COVID-19

    Is the Recreation Center open?
    The Recreation center has been closed since November 17 and is scheduled to open mid-January.  

    Can my roommate and I workout together?
    No.  Per the State guidelines, users must be physically distanced. While you may live in close proximity, it is not reasonable to expect our staff to know the living arrangements of all guests.  In addition, when others observe people working out together they assume it is acceptable and creates challenges for our staff to enforce the CWU and State guidelines. 

    Can I bring a guest?
    No.  Due to capacity limitations and the SURC being closed to everyone outside the CWU community (students/faculty/staff) we are following the same expectation.

    Who can purchase a membership? 
    Only current or retired CWU faculty and staff are eligible for purchasing a full membership.  RecWell will not be offered until capacity limitations are removed.  Alumni are not eligible for purchasing a membership as they fall outside of the CWU Community.

    Do I really have to wear a facial covering while outside?
    Yes.  Per the CWU directive of mandatory facial coverings on campus, this will be enforced at all Recreation operated facilities.

    Why does the Recreation Center close when the state allows it to be open?
    This decisions are made out of an abundance of caution. We, like all businesses and Washingtonians, must prevent any further spread of COVID-19 as the state gradually reopens. We wish to do our part to allow for a successful, safe environment for Wildcats.

    Which CWU recreational services are available?
    Starting July 1, Outdoor Pursuits & Rentals (OPR) will begin providing services to those who would like to rent outdoor equipment. Please call (509) 963-3537 before arriving and maintain physical distancing during pick up and drop off.  Our COVID-19 Modifications page has the most current information regarding service availability.

  • Challenge Course

    Can we use our own belayers?
    Because safety is our highest priority, we cannot allow you to bring your own belayers to most challenge course programs. By using only our staff, we can ensure every belayer is competent and meets all our safety standards.

    Can we bring our own gear?
    We do not allow outside gear on the course. Our gear at the course is meticulously checked and maintained. We do this to ensure the safety of all our participants. By using only this gear, we are aware of the exact quality and condition of every harness and helmet on the course.

    How much would it cost for me and X number of my friends to use the challenge course?
    All of our pricing options can be found on the Challenge Course page. Prices vary depending on whether the group is composed of Central students, faculty or staff, or an outside group, as well as the number of participants in your group.

    I’m not a minor; do I still need to sign a waiver?
    Yes. Everyone who uses the challenge course must sign a waiver. Even the skilled and knowledgeable facilitators have signed them. The waiver form can be found on the Challenge Course page, or you can send an e-mail to and we’ll send it to you.

    Do I need to be an athlete to use the challenge course?
    Nope! The challenge course is much more of a mental challenge than a physical one. Most people can do everything on the challenge course if they put their minds to it.

    When is the Challenge Course Open?
    Availability varies depending on the number of programs we have scheduled during the timeframe you’re requesting. We usually ask that you send us a couple prioritized dates you would like for your program and we try to work with you to schedule the best possible time for your group. Our high course is closed in the winter, but we still do low programs all year around.

  • Climbing Wall

    Do I have to pay to use the wall as a student or Recreation member?
    No, the use of the climbing wall is a part of your Recreation Center Membership. The only things you will have to pay for are the optional amenities of the wall: shoe rentals, classes, and certifications.

    May I use the wall if I am not a Recreation Center member?
    Yes! We offer a $7 Climbing Day Pass to community members or a $50, 10 punch pass (plus tax). This pass will be for use of the climbing wall only and will not allow access to the rest of the Recreation Center. This pass is good for regularly scheduled climbing open hours as well as clinics, although an additional fee is required for most clinics. Children may purchase a day pass to climb during family hours with their parent or guardian.

    Do I have to take a class to use the wall?
    No, in order to climb the rock wall all you need to do is sign a waiver form and check in with the climbing wall staff so that they can review rules and expectations. Classes and certifications are only required when you want to belay other participants in the gym. These classes and exams are available weekly.

    Do I have to have experience to use the wall?
    People of all experience levels use the wall. If you have climbed for years or if you would just like to try for the first time, our staff is available to provide input to all levels.

    What if I want to get more involved with the wall?
    The climbing program is always open to input and ideas. Drop off a comment card at the front counter or send us an e-mail with your questions or comments.

  • Facilities

    Is the Recreation Center open on holidays and during breaks?
    Yes, we are typically open on holidays and over winter, spring, and summer breaks. We have modified hours during all breaks. Please check our hours page or call our membership desk at 509-963-3512 for details.

    Does the Recreation Center have spaces to reserve or rent?
    The Recreation Center does have spaces available to reserve or rent! University groups have priority scheduling. Please email or call 509-963-3595 for more information.

    Where do I park to use the Recreation Center?

    • The Student Union and Recreation Center parking lot is I-15.  
    • Parking passes are required on campus Monday-Friday between 7:30am and 4:30pm.
    • Daily parking passes can be purchased at the Parking Permit Kiosk.
    • CWU University Police and Public Safety enforce parking regulations on campus. More information can be found on their website at or by calling 509-963-2667.

    Are there lockers and towel service?
    The Recreation Center has lockers available to rent by the quarter, academic year, and annually.  Day-use lockers are available free in each locker room but you will need to bring your own lock or purchase a lock from the membership desk. Towel service is available free with your membership. Check out a shower towel or sweat towel at our membership desk!

    Do you have a sauna?
    Yes! There is a dry sauna in both the men’s and women’s locker room in the Recreation Center.

    When is the best time of day to work out?
    On weekdays during the academic year the best time to work out is before 2pm. The Recreation Center is usually most crowded weekdays between 3pm and 9pm.

    When is the best time of day to use the multipurpose courts?
    During the academic year the best time to use the multipurpose courts is before 3pm. The multipurpose courts is usually most crowed weekdays between 4pm and 9pm.

    Does the Recreation Center have a Lost and Found?
    Yes! All lost and found items can be retrieved Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm in the Administrative Suite, SURC 175. For more information, please contact Allyson Fogle at or by calling 509-963-3510.

  • Group Fitness

    How do I register for a Group X class?
    Registration opens 24 hours before the class starts. You can register for any of our classes online at You will then be able to log in with your CWU user ID and password (the same as logging into your MyCWU account). After you complete this step, you will be able to pick from any of the Group X classes being offered this quarter by clicking on the "Group X" tab in the middle of your home screen. 

    How do I cancel my registration for a Group X class?
    You must cancel your class attendance online if you do not wish to attend. You can do this by logging on the same way you did to register. Failure to do so will result in strikes againt your account. If you obtain 3 strikes, you will need to meet with one of our Health Programming staff members to regain access to Group X classes.

    Why is there a cancellation policy?
    Registering for a spot and not attending can prevent others from taking part in the class.

    What is our Group X program all about?
    You’ll enjoy a variety of formats and energetic music in a social atmosphere. Group X is perfect for anyone looking to bust out a quick workout without having to think too hard about how many reps to complete or what level to set the treadmill on. You have total flexibility and lots of choices – just ask yourself how much time you want to invest in your health and fitness and which types of exercise you enjoy most. Then pick a few classes from our schedule and you’re on your way to optimal fitness and fun!

    Can anyone participate in classes?
    All of our instructors are ready and able to teach to any fitness level. If you are a Group X junkie and have been participating in our program previously, we have classes that can challenge you on multiple levels. If you’re new to a Group X class, we have classes that are offered specifically for you, so that you are comfortable and have a great experience!

    Why should you participate?
    The Group X program is designed so that you have ultimate flexibility within your weekly exercise routine. If you don’t have a ton of time but want to focus on a given area such as fat burning, toning your legs or abdominals, or improving your flexibility, you can find a class that will help you meet your goals. And did we mention that each class is between 30 and 45 minutes? Group X classes are a very efficient use of your workout time! If you’ve got extra time and want a more intense workout, take a couple classes per day. Whatever works best for you and your body!

  • Intramural Sports & Special Events

    What is the difference between Crimson, CoRec, & Open league types?
    Crimson leagues are for the highest level of competition, recommended for players with advanced skill or former athletes. Crimson may have more frequent competitions, and teams must qualify for playoffs based on win-loss record, point differential, and sportsmanship. There are no gender requirements or restrictions. CoRec leagues have teams that are made up of male-identifying and female-identifying players, and generally include sport specific rules to help foster equal opportunities to play. CoRec leagues typically have mid-level skill players participating with gender equity guidelines. Open leagues are commended for participants with less experience in the sport they want to play or who are seeking to try a new sport for fun. Open leagues have no gender requirements to participate, and typically compete once a week in the spirit of recreational activity.

    What activities does Intramural Sports offer?
    Intramural Sports offers leagues for Basketball, Volleyball, Dodgeball, Flag Football, Softball, and Outdoor/Indoor Soccer. Tournaments and additional sport leagues may be offered throughout the year and typically include pickleball, tennis, archery tag, wiffleball, and badminton. If there is a sport you want to play, submit your suggestions to

    Who can participate in Intramural Sports?
    All Central Washington University students, staff, faculty, and alumni are invited to participate in Intramural Sports. College varsity athletes must wait one year to participate in their equivalent intramural sport but may participate in other activities (i.e. a football athlete cannot participate in flag football until they are one year removed from the team but may play softball). All intramural sport participants must have a current CWU recreation membership (excludes RecWell and Crimson Pass memberships).

    When and how can I sign up?
    Registration opens each quarter on the first day of classes at 8:00am and closes 7-14 days later. Students can register with single sign on using their CWU credentials on

    Most intramural sports require a one-time team fee per season of $20 to be paid prior to the first contest and can be paid online through our portal or at the Rec Center front desk. For detailed information on registration, go to our registration page.

    What are the Team Captain’s responsibilities?
    The Team Captain is the main contact between the Intramural Sports office and their team. Before each league begins, a captain’s meeting will take place for captains, teammates, and free agents to hear about rule changes or other important details related to the sport; attendance by a team representative is required each season.

    Team Captains are responsible for their team’s knowledge of the rules and sportsmanship requirements. They are responsible for notifying the Intramural Sports office two (2) business days in advance of any cancelations during the season and will be responsible for any forfeit fees incurred by their team.

    Where do I find sport rules?
    Rules are updated quarterly for each sport offered and distributed by email to teams when the schedule is released. All participants can access copies of the rules for each sport and the Intramural Sport Participant Handbook by logging into their account on and selecting “Handbook”.

    When and where do I play?
    Schedules for each league are posted on the IMLeagues website. Schedules are published after the Captain’s Meeting for each sport has taken place. Teams will be notified through IMLeagues (email, push notification to app, text message) when the schedule is available. The IMLeagues app is a free resource of participants to access their game schedules, results, and any announcements such as cancellations or playoff meetings.

    Games are played at the Recreation Center, Recreational Sports Complex, Alder Recreation fields, Ellensburg Racquet and Recreation Center, or other sites depending on the sport and league. Locations will be listed on the schedule on IMLeagues.

    How many teams can I play with?
    Participants can play on up to two (2) teams in each sport offered but cannot play on multiple teams in the same league (i.e. a player can be on a crimson team and a corec team, but not two crimson teams).

    When are my practice times?
    The Intramural Sports program does not schedule practice times for any sport or league. However, teams are free to practice as much or as little as they would like. Teams may use open recreation times provided they adhere to Recreation Center policies.

    How do I become an official?
    The Intramural Sports office is always seeking enthusiastic students to raise the quality of performance in their officials. Students interested in a challenging and rewarding opportunity to lead competitive and recreational sporting events are encouraged to visit our student employment page to view vacant positions.

  • Membership

    Can I get a membership?
    Yes! People may purchase a membership with CWU Recreation if:

    • They are a current CWU student, faculty, or staff member
    • They retired from CWU
    • They are a member of the Alumni Association or Wildcat Club
    • They are a direct dependent of any of the above

    How much do memberships cost?
    Please click here for an up to date list of prices for memberships.

    What forms of payment do you accept?
    Recreation offers a variety of payment methods for membership:

    • Payroll Deduction: The CWU Recreation Center offers payroll deduction for Faculty/Staff and Faculty/Staff Dependent memberships. Payroll deduction rates are as follows:
      • Individual Membership: $30 per paycheck
      • Two Memberships: $50 per paycheck
      • Payroll deduction for amounts less than $100 cannot be processed
    • Apple Pay or Android Pay
    • Credit or Debit : We accept Visa, Mastercard, and Discover
    • Personal Check or Cash: We accept both personal checks and cash

    Do Running Start students get memberships?
    Running Start students do not automatically get assessed the Recreation Fee BUT they can purchase a membership at the student rate. To learn more, click here.

    Can I bring a guest with me?
    Yes! Members get two free guest passes each quarter. You can also purchase additional guest passes at the Membership Desk if you run out of free passes! Guests are only allowed to come in with current Recreation Members, and must fill waivers out before using the facility.

    Do I need a Connection Card to use the facility?
    Yes, you will need a Connection Card to use the facility. Please speak to the Membership Attendants at the Membership Desk if you do not have a card yet.

    I have a card, but what if I don’t want to use it to get in to the gym?
    For the safety of our members, a Connection Card is required to gain entry to the facility. If you are a current member, and have forgotten or lost your Connection Card, please speak to the Membership Attendants at the Membership Desk when you next arrive.

    Can I get a job here?
    Yes! The CWU Recreation Center hires student employees each quarter. Please check here to see when our next Hiring Info Session will be!

    Can I use the pool?
    While CWU Recreation does not own or operate the pool, we do have various swim session times reserved for our Recreation members! Use of the pool during these time is included in your membership.

    What else do I get with my membership, besides using the gym?
    For a full list of membership benefits, click here.

  • Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals

    Who can rent gear from OPR? 
    Students, faculty, staff and current members of the Alumni Association are all eligible to rent gear, however the prices are different. The student prices for gear are a bit less than the prices for faculty, staff and alum. 

    What comes with a raft package? 
    Each package comes with one raft, the appropriate number of personal floatation devices (PFD), the appropriate number of paddles, and a hand pump. 

    Where is the best place to float? 
    There are several places to put in and take out along the Yakima River. One popular stretch starts at Lower Ringer Loop and ends at the Umtanum Recreation Center. It is the route we take when we have guided trips, because it is both close to campus and a good quality 2 hour float. Other stretches enjoyed by many are from Umtanum Recreation Center to Lmuma Recreation Center, Big Pines or Roza Recreational Site. For more information on floating the Yakima River, click here. 

    Can I make a reservation? 
    Yes! Contact us at 509.963.3537 to make a reservation.

    Where can I find the gear offered by OPR? 
    You can call or stop by OPR to ask about our gear or you can also visit our rental equipment pages: for water gear including stand-up paddleboards and rafts, visit our River Floating rental page. For camping and backpacking gear, visit our Camping rental page. For winter activities like snowshoeing and skiing, visit our Winter Activities rental page. For other gear, like volleyballs, disc golf sets, or coolers, visit our Miscellaneous rental page.  

    I am a officer for a club on campus. Can I organize a trip for my club through OPR? 
    Absolutely, OPR offers guided trips and instructional classes for many campus-based groups. From Alpine Lakes Wilderness backpacking trips, to day hikes and winter camping, let OPR handle some of the details of your next adventure so you can fully immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.  

    I do not have any equipment or experience in the outdoors. Can I go on an OPR trip? 
    YES! OPR offers trips enjoyable for people of all skill-levels. OPR trips are perfect for people considering an outdoor trip as well as first-timers! Sign up for an OPR trip and you also gain access to our equipment rental shop so you can get the gear you need for the trip. We look forward to seeing you soon! 

    How do I sign up for an OPR trip? 
    Registering for an OPR trip is as easy as stopping by OPR to reserve your spot. Trip prices are discounted and there is a variety of payment options to make our trips as accessible and affordable as possible for CWU community members. For a full list of our trip offerings, you can pick up an Adventure Guide from OPR or visit our Trip Schedule page.  

    Who leads outdoor trips for OPR? 
    For the most part, student employees lead our trips. Each trip leader has specific training in the trip area they are leading and are also required to have a current Wilderness First Aid certification. If you are interested in becoming a trip leader, the most appropriate first steps are to join us on one of our trips, gain certification, and begin to build experience in outdoor leadership. 

    Do you offer any certifications or trainings? 
    Yes! OPR offers at least one professional level training and certifications each year.  Examples of these are: Wilderness First Aid, Swiftwater Rescue, Raft Guiding, and Climbing Wall Instructor. This year OPR will have a strong emphasis on winter safety and avalanche awareness. Be sure to stay posted as this year’s clinic, trips, and training line-ups are going to be incredible. 

    I have another question about OPR, whom do I contact?
    Contact the OPR Coordinator through email or at 509.963.3537.

  • Personal Training

    What happens in a typical Personal Training session?
    Generally, the first few sessions are spent working out the kinks in the workout- establishing weights and time limits. But don’t let this discourage you! It’s just the way Personal Training operates, to ensure that you get the results you are aiming for. It takes time to understand your capabilities and limitations. Each session and each workout will build upon your first few sessions. However, you should still wear comfortable workout apparel, as you will be definitely be exercising. Keep in mind if you are already very fit and don’t struggle with motivation, we’ll push those muscles right away!

    What happens in my initial consultation?
    Your first session with a trainer is crucial to setting you up for success. Many people begin an exercise program with high hopes but discontinue their programs after only a couple months. This is usually because their exercise program is not right for their goals, fitness needs, or lifestyles. That’s why your COMPLIMENTARY initial consultation is so important! The majority of your initial consultation will be spent discussing your exercise and health history and outlining your fitness goals. This helps our trainers to determine which type of program will be best for your body!

    How do I get started?
    Contact to help you connect with a personal trainer that best suits your personal fitness goals.

    What if I need to reschedule a session?
    If you need to reschedule any of your training sessions, you’ll need to contact your trainer a minimum of 24 hours prior to your scheduled session. If your trainer does not receive at least 24 hours notice of your cancellation, you may be charged for that session.  Our trainers are busy and their time is important, as is yours. Therefore, we extend the same courtesy of a 24-hour reschedule notice to you!  After all, things come up that are not always planned and we understand that better than anyone!

    What fitness level do I need to be at to start?
    Classes are scaled to fit any participant of any level. If you're healthy and can move, we have an exercise for you!

    What if I can't make my session?
    Inform your trainer as soon as you can that you will be missing a session, and they can try to get you into another session. Communication is key, so if your trainer is unaware of your absence, he or she can't help you!

    What is Functional 50?
    Functional 50 is a 10-week long program designed to help you get in the best shape of your life! A Certified Personal Trainer will take you through specially-designed workouts that can be tailored to your fitness level. With up to 11 other participants, you will challenge yourself with 50 minutes of mobility, stability, strength, and conditioning training. Utilize barbells, kettlebells, sandbags, and more to achieve your fitness goals!

    When is Functional 50?
    During Spring Quarter, Functional 50 will take place on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 4:00-4:50 pm and from 5:00-5:50 pm in the Cat’s Den (Recreation 287). The first day of the program is Monday, April 6th, and the last day is Thursday, June 11th . There will be an Orientation on Thursday, April 2nd , at 4:00 pm and 5:00 pm to give you a chance to meet your trainer and other participants, become familiar with the space and equipment, fill out paperwork, and ask any questions you might have.

    How much does Functional 50 cost?
    Functional 50 costs $150.00 per quarter, plus tax. With 3 sessions a week for 10 weeks, you end up paying only $5.00 per session! If you want a tool to help you track your effort and enhance motivation each session, you can also purchase a MyZone belt when you register. MyZone monitors your heart rate and estimated calorie burn each session. Functional 50 and other purchases can be charged to your student account.

    Who can participate in Functional 50?
    Functional 50 is appropriate for all ages and fitness levels. Individuals with injuries, health conditions, or very specific fitness goals would be better served working 1-on-1 with one of our Personal Trainers after being cleared by their physician. Participants must be able to fill out a PAR-Q without any “Yes” answers.

    How can I sign up for personal training?
    You can register and pay at the front desk of the Recreation Center.

  • Sport Clubs

    What is a Sport Club? 
    CWU Sport Clubs are Student Groups centered on regular practices that compete in exhibitions, competitions, and tournaments on an inter-collegiate level. 

    How do you create a Sport Club?  
    All students interested in creating a club or sport club must complete the recognition process through Student Involvement . Once you have completed that, you will meet with the Coordinator - Sport Clubs to discuss the expectations and transition into an active sport club.  

    How do you join a Sport Club?  
    Some sport club teams require you to go through try-outs. Others are open to everyone. The best place to find this information for each specific team is on their Presence page or contact the officers. You can find that information here

    Do Sport Clubs have fees or dues?  
    Most clubs do have membership dues, but it varies for each team. All sport club members have the option to student charge this cost.  

    Can I play in Intramurals and Sport Clubs? 
    You can participate in both programs. The only restriction is a maximum of 2 club participants on a team for their sport equivalent.  

    Is experience required to play on a Sport Club team?  
    The experience required varies by each team. Some teams teach you to play while others require a level of understanding or previous experience. The best place to find this information for each specific team is on their Presence page or contact the officers. You can find that information here.

    I have another question about Sport Clubs, whom do I contact?
    Contact the Sport Club Coordinator through email or at 509.963.3516.

This page contains links to websites outside of The views and opinions expressed on unofficial pages of Central Washington University faculty, staff or students are strictly those of the page authors. The content of such pages has not been reviewed or approved by Central Washington University.

Contact Us

University Recreation
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA, 98926-7448
Phone: 509.963.3512