Skip to body


College of the Sciences
Give to COTS

Seeing the Light
Wins Govenor's Award
seeing the ligh wins governor's award

Lessons from the Zombie Brain
Lessions for the zombie brain video


Contact Us

Psychology Department
Phone: 509-963-2381

Transfer Course Substitutions

Transferring Courses to CWU

When you apply for admission to CWU, an official transfer credit evaluation will be done. Once this is complete, you will be able to use your MyCWU portal to view exactly how your courses transferred in. Once you declare your major, you will be able to view your Academic Requirement Report to see how your credits will be used to meet your baccalaureate degree requirements.  More information about that process is available at

Can I Use a Course Taken at Another Institution as Part of My CWU Psychology Minor or Major?

Generally PSY 101 is a direct transfer from most institutions.  It may be possible for you to use a course you took at another institution to substitute for additional CWU psychology courses.  Review the rules for course substitutions below to see if they apply to your situation.  Then, follow the application process for a course substitution at the bottom of this page.

  • Only courses from accredited institutions can be substituted for CWU Psychology courses.
  • Generally speaking, lower division courses cannot be substituted for upper division courses; exceptions may be made if the student is able to demonstrate comparable work requirements, student learning objectives, and textbook.
  • No substitutions will be permitted for PSY 200 or PSY 489.
  • No substitutions will be permitted for PSY 300 for students majoring in psychology.
  • No more than two of the required or Group I-V courses can be substituted with courses taken at other institutions, with the exception of PSY 101, which is a direct transfer from most institutions.
  • Exceptions to this policy may be considered under very unique circumstances on an individual basis.

Procedure for Requesting Course Substitutions Involving Courses Taken at Another Institution

The Department of Psychology has a committee consisting of three faculty who review applications for course substitutions that involve courses from other institutions.  Review the paperwork and process below.  Speak to your major advisor if you have questions.

  1. Course substitution requests are directed to the student’s major advisor who will review the department’s course substitution policy and procedure with the student.
  2. Complete the “Permit to Substitute” form. Both the student and the advisor sign the form. The advisor signature does not imply endorsement of the request.
  3. For a substitution that involves a course from another institution, the following documents are required:
  • The completed and signed “Permit to Substitute” form;
  • The syllabus from the course taken at another institution;
  • The syllabus from the CWU course for which the other course is requested as substitute (current syllabi can be obtained from the Psychology Department);
  • A minimum one-page statement as to how the course taken at another institution aligns with the CWU course and its learner outcomes. 

Submit the substitution request paperwork listed above to the Psychology Department office

Supplemental materials may be requested by the committee in charge of course substitutions; for example, evidence of work comparable to senior-level requirements in the case of a lower division course requested to be substituted for an upper-division course.  The committee may also consult with other faculty with expertise in the area(s) of the courses requested for substitution, as deemed necessary.  Once the committee has reviewed the materials and made a decision, the department secretary will notify the student of the decision. If approved, the Permit to Substitute form will be sent to the Registrar’s office.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.