Transferring Courses to CWU
When you apply for admission to CWU, an official transfer credit evaluation will be done. Once this is complete, you will be able to use your MyCWU portal to view exactly how your courses transferred in. Once you declare your major or minor, you will be able to view your Academic Requirement Report to see how your credits will be used to meet your baccalaureate degree requirements. More information about that process is available at http://www.cwu.edu/registrar/transfer-equivalencies-policies
Can I Use a Course Taken at Another Institution as Part of My CWU Psychology Major or Minor?
Generally PSY 101 is a direct transfer from most institutions. It may be possible for you to use a course you took at another institution to substitute for additional CWU Psychology courses. Review the policies for course substitutions below to see if they apply to your situation. Then, follow the application process for a course substitution at the bottom of this page.
Department of Psychology Policies for Course Substitutions Involving Courses Taken at Another Institution or Another Department at CWU.
- Only courses from accredited institutions can be substituted for CWU Psychology courses.
- Generally speaking, lower division courses cannot be substituted for upper division courses; exceptions may be made if the student is able to demonstrate comparable work requirements, student learning objectives, and textbook.
- No substitutions will be permitted for PSY 200 or PSY 489.
- No substitutions will be permitted for PSY 300 for students majoring in Psychology.
- No more than two of the required or Group I-V courses can be substituted with courses taken at other institutions or other departments at CWU, with the exception of PSY 101, which is a direct transfer from most institutions.
- Exceptions to this policy may be considered under very unique circumstances on an individual basis.
- Decisions to accept or reject course substitution requests will be made by the Psychology department chair after reviewing the recommendations made by a three-person Psychology faculty committee.
- The committee in charge of course substitutions may consult with other faculty with expertise in the area(s) of the courses requested for substitution, as deemed necessary.
Procedure for Requesting Course Substitutions Involving Courses Taken at CWU or Another Institution
The Department of Psychology has a committee consisting of three faculty who review applications for course substitutions that involve courses from other institutions or other departments at CWU. Review the paperwork and process below. Speak to your Psychology major or minor advisor if you have questions.
- To request a course substitution, first talk with your Psychology major or minor advisor who will review the department’s course substitution policy and procedure with you.
- For a substitution that involves a course from another institution or another department at CWU, the following documents are required:
- The syllabus from the course taken at another institution or another department at CWU;
- The syllabus from the CWU Psychology course for which the other course is requested as substitute (current syllabi can be obtained from the Psychology Department);
- A minimum one-page statement as to how the course taken at another institution or another department at CWU aligns with the CWU Psychology course and its learner outcomes.
- Submit the substitution request paperwork listed above to the Psychology Department office in person or via email to email@example.com.
- Supplemental materials may be requested by the committee in charge of course substitutions; for example, evidence of work comparable to senior-level requirements in the case of a lower division course requested to be substituted for an upper-division course. The committee may also consult with other faculty with expertise in the area(s) of the courses requested for substitution, as deemed necessary. Once the committee has reviewed the materials, they will make a recommendation to the department chair about accepting or denying the substitution request.
- If your course substitution request is approved, your Psychology advisor will complete the electronic submission of the "Course Substitution Request."