Skip to body

Physical Education, School Health and Movement Studies

College of Education and Professional Studies

Athletic Administration--FAQs

Q.  Is this degree the same as a “sports management” degree?

A.  No. This degree prepares students for leadership careers primarily in interscholastic and intercollegiate athletics, but in other areas such as college intramural programs, college indoor and outdoor recreation, and professional public and private sports club organizations.

Q.  Will I be able to attain a job as an athletic director with this degree?

A.  This program prepares students for careers as athletic directors.  However, institutions and organizations often require certain levels of experience and certification for prospective candidates.  This degree will prepare you to move along the athletic administration career path from the point at which you begin. It can also assist you in acquiring a position such as an assistant athletic administrator (college), events manager, or activities coordinator for interscholastic and intercollegiate programs.(Note: if you do not have a teaching degree, a public school administration probably won't consider you for an AD position at the school. Keep in mind, too, that our degree does not certify you to be a public school principal.)

Q.  I am currently a “recreation supervisor” for a city park and recreation department.  Will your degree be beneficial to my career in parks and recreation?

A.  Yes. Though our program prepares students for athletic administration, many of the principals of leadership and risk management apply to careers in public sports and recreational management.

Q. What kinds of jobs do past graduates have now?

A. In addition to interscholastic and intercollegiate AD jobs, examples of jobs past graduates have include director of operations for college sports, visiting clubhouse manager for a professional baseball team, sports marketing and corporate giving, alumni relations communications management, college intramural manager, college indoor and outdoor recreation management, coordinator of competitive sports and youth programs at a university, private business personal trainers, private business outdoor recreation excursions, YMCA youth sports management, adjunct instructors for college courses, recreation facility coordinator, academic success director for college athletes, and some remain in college coaching.

Q.  Where can I find out more about the program?

A.  Visit the CWU/PESMS Website: 

You may also email

Q.  Can I finish this program in less than two years?

A.  No, the curriculum is designed in an optimal sequence for acquiring and applying knowledge and understanding to various roles and projects each student will participate in and complete. 

Q.  Will I have to pay out-of-state tuition?

A.  All students in the program, regardless of where they live, pay the in-state tuition rate.

Q. What if I want to change my graduate major?  Can I apply my current coursework to the CWU AA Program?

A.  The CWU Graduate School allows graduate students to transfer up to six credits into a current graduate program.  Transfer credits are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and determination is made regarding the course content and program requirements. 

Q. How much will books cost each quarter?

A.  At this time each LTC manual is $35 and a student will purchase 12 of them through the second fall quarter. There will be other text purchases for courses that don't require LTC materials.

Q.  When can I begin my cooperative experience?

A.  Most cooperative experiences are scheduled for winter quarter of the second year of the cohort.  However, to meet special needs and considerations, and with proper planning, we can accommodate a cooperative experience after the first two quarters in the program.

Q.  If I am currently an athletic administrator, how does the cooperative experience work?

A.  The cooperative experience for the practicing AD or school administrator consists of designing and completing an “action research project” or “action plan” that addresses a current issue in your program.  This plan or project must be a “new” action you have decided to take to address a current issue in your program.  The project or plan will be verified by your building or district supervisor.

Q.  Are graduate assistantships available?

A.  Yes.  Each year a small number of assistantships are available.  Application for an assistantship is required prior to the graduate-school application deadline.  Graduate assistantships are chosen in the spring quarter prior to the first summer of the program.  Please contact us for further information.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.