CWU News

Electrical Fire Causes Evacuation of Kennedy Hall

The Kittitas Valley Fire and Rescue and campus police responded to an electrical fire that broke out at about 8:50 p.m. Sunday in Kennedy Hall on the Central Washington University campus.
The fire, caused by a malfunctioning attic fan motor, caused the immediate evacuation of all 35 students residing in the building. No one was hurt as a result of the fire.
Officials said the fire damaged portions of the building's roof and one room on the building's third floor.  Since the building remains without power, students who had been living in Kennedy have been relocated to Munson Hall temporarily.
Students living in Green Hall, which is adjacent to Kennedy, were not evacuated but the building did experience a power outage Sunday night because it is part of the same power grid.

The fire marshal’s office will be inspecting the building today to assess the damage and determine when students can return to their rooms. Additionally, Facilities Management staff are inspecting HVAC equipment and attic fans in all other campus buildings as a precaution.

Media contact: Richard Moreno, director of content development, 509-963-2714,