Feb. 5, 2018
CWU Track and Field Record 41 Top-Ten Finishes at Cougar Indoor
The Central Washington University indoor track and field team recorded 41 top-ten finishes at the WSU Cougar Indoor Saturday afternoon.
"I am definitely pleased with how we competed this weekend," CWU head coach Kevin Adkisson said. "Many of our athletes continue to take nice steps forward, which is always great to see. I am really excited to see what we do in the upcoming meets as we get ready for the conference tournament."
WRAPPING UP THE MEET
- The 60-meter hurdles featured five Wildcats placing in the top-ten. Mariyah Vongsaveng won the event with a season-best time of 8.68 seconds, followed by Sidney Trinidad (fifth, 9.31) and Erykah Weems (sixth, 9.32). HarLee Ortega and Emily Bland rounded out the list of CWU finishers in seventh and eighth-place, respectively.
- Weems won the 200-meter event title after recording a time of 26 seconds. Vongsaveng earned fourth (26.87) and Sidney Trinidad finished sixth (27.17).
- In the shot put, Samantha La Rue claimed second with a season-best throw measuring 42 feet, 6.25 inches. Aiyana Homer placed third (41-11.50) and Brittany Dodge earned ninth (36-07.50).
- Homer and La Rue returned to compete in the weight throw, placing third and fifth, respectively.
- Ortega placed second in the pentathlon with a total of 3,630 points, followed by Ali Anderson in third (3,583 points).
- Anderson also led CWU in the long jump, finishing second after jumping 18 feet, 0.25 inches. Rose Walts (third, 16-11.25), Brooke Williams (eighth, 16-06.50) and Keeley Phommathirath (ninth, 16-05.75) also competed.
- Phommathirath tied with Shaddia Meadows for third in the high jump after clearing a height of five feet, 1 inch.
- In the pole vault, Halle Irvine claimed fifth after clearing a provisional qualifying height of 12 feet, 1.50 inches.
- Kiersten Kimminau crossed the 3,000-meter finish line in ninth with a time of 11:20.11.
- Katie Collins (second, 59.74), Julia Inderbitzin (fourth, 1:00.83), and Bland (fifth, 1:00.99) represented CWU in the 400.
- The 4x400-meter relay team comprised of Trinidad, Bland, Inderbitzin, and Jasmyne Neria placed third with a time of 4:07.43.
- Daniel Calderon finished first in the 400 (51.88) and seventh in the 200 (24.15).
- Bobby Widmar claimed third in the 60-meter sprint with a time of 7.01 seconds.
- In the 800, Trevaughn Scott earned second in 1:59.03.
- Armando Tafoya captured second in the shot put (51 feet) and third in the weight throw (57 feet, 10.50 inches).
- Aidan Cain placed third in the weight throw (57 feet, 10.50 inches) and fifth in the shot put (49 feet, 0.75 inches).
- Corbin Carlton finished ninth in the mile (4:30.90).
- Braydon Maier highlighted the CWU jumpers, placing ninth in the long jump with a jump measuring 20 feet, 3.50 inches.
- Scott, Michael Forster, Maier and Kodiak Landis teamed up to capture the 4x400 event title in 3:27.66.
The Wildcats will travel back to Seattle, Wash. next weekend to compete at the Husky Classic.