Dec. 8, 2022
From the President: Update on the Strategic Planning Process
Thank you for the rich participation in Phase II of the Strategic Plan Development process. The Steering Committee has been reviewing the feedback and met earlier this week. What we heard from many of you is that you would prefer an integrative approach to our values and strategic plan development, rather than a siloed or traditional approach.
We have drafted one version of such an integrative approach after being immersed in the university feedback (please see the Committee Updates page for the raw data from the university community and this first draft version). In this version, you will note that each “value” has a “commitment” attached to it that references and integrates several of the traditional values. As an example of the integrative approach, you will note that DEI is included across all three of the values and commitments, rather than being separated out.
The Steering Committee will be developing 1-3 draft versions of Values and a Strategic Plan framework based on the feedback from the university community. This work will be completed before our next Steering Committee meeting on Friday, January 27, where we will review, consolidate, and develop a process to share our work for your feedback.
We propose the following timeline and process for moving toward a final set of Values and Strategic Plan framework with initiatives and indicators of success:
- January 27 – Steering Committee meeting to review draft Strategic Plan frameworks and generate 1-3 versions to share with the university community
- Early February – Provide the university community the ability to provide feedback on the Strategic Plan frameworks (this may happen through reaching out to directors and department heads across the university)
- February 16-17 – Provide the Board of Trustees the opportunity to give feedback and potentially approve the Values and Strategic Plan framework
- Late February/Early March – Share the Values and Strategic Plan framework with the university community for conversations within offices and departments on potential initiatives and indicators of success (this feedback will be shared in the next step of the process)
- March – Gathering in the Ballroom for directors/department chairs and other administrators to develop initiatives and indicators of success for the Strategic Plan
- March/April – Steering Committee reviews feedback and drafts a Strategic Plan that includes initiatives and indicators of success
- May 18-19 – Provide the Board of Trustees the opportunity to provide feedback on the draft Strategic Plan initiatives and indicators of success
- Late May/early June – Get final feedback from the University Community on the draft Strategic Plan initiatives and indicators of success
- June – Revise and finalize the Strategic Plan, with initiatives and indicators of success
- July – Board of Trustees approval of the final Strategic Plan
If you have thoughts or feedback on the process, timeline, or next steps, please let me or any of the members of the Steering Committee know. Thank you for your commitment to this collaborative and inclusive process!
A. James Wohlpart
Vision, Mission, Strategic Plan Steering Committee:
- Missy Davis, Classified Employee
- Jessica Murillo-Rosales Davis, Alumni representing Graduate Students
- Laura Dahlby Nicolai, Athletics
- Sigrid Davison, Equity
- Wendy Iwaszuk, Alumni/Foundation Board Member
- Elizabeth Brown, Academic Department Chair Council
- Elvin Delgado, Former Faculty Senate Chair
- Jeff Stinson, Provost’s Council
- Jonathon Henderson, Exempt Employee
- Joseph Gabriel Ecolango, Undergraduate Student
Media Contact: David Leder, Department of Public Affairs, David.Leder@cwu.edu, 509-963-1518