Give to Music

Department of Music
Phone: (509) 963-1216
Fax: (509) 963-1239

Important Information for Music Majors

The Undergraduate Student Handbook for Music Majors has been prepared as a reference tool for students pursuing degree programs in the Department of Music of Central Washington University. Information is included about the Department, its degree programs, major concentrations, student responsibilities and the Music Office procedures affecting student/office relationships as well as a plethora of additional information which is vital to music majors. Please be sure to reference this page frequently to locate the proper answer to virtually all your music department related questions.

Last updated 12.6.2022

  • Admission to music degree programs

    All entering students who plan to major in music must demonstrate their performance ability by auditioning with a faculty member. Based on this audition, the Department of Music will determine the student's admissibility into a specific major area.

    Students who do not qualify for admission into the Department may be placed on departmental probation. Students who are admitted on probation have one quarter to take applied lessons at the 171 level to prove that they have the skill and determination to succeed as a music major. At the end of the quarter, probationary students will play a final examination in front of the applied faculty in their area. After reviewing the final examination results and the quarter’s academic records, it will be determined if students will continue in or be removed from the major. At the discretion of the area faculty, the probationary term can be extended to two quarters.

    Audition dates for H.S. seniors planning to attend CWU the following year will be scheduled for winter quarter and published on the department web site. However, other dates are available through prior scheduling. Information regarding audition dates, schedules, and repertoire requirements can found on our Music Program Auditions and Admissions page.

  • Scholarships

    The Department of Music has a number of financial scholarships ranging from $100.00 to $1,500.00 per year. These are available to both entering students and those currently enrolled at Central. Other scholarships are available through the University Financial Aid Office. All accepted students are automatically considered for academic scholarships based on the Admission Index (a combination of High School GPA and SAT/ACT scores), provided the application for admission to the university has been submitted before the published deadline. The Admissions Office administers this scholarship.

  • Transfer Students

    Please Note:

    In addition to general education courses, transfer students wanting to major in music at CWU should have completed two years of Music Theory (Written and Aural Skills), Two years of Applied lessons on a major instrument or voice, and also developed basic piano skills (if piano is not your major instrument). For the BA degree a student MUST satisfy the world language requirement--either two years in H.S. or one year of college-level world language

    If you do not have any courses in these areas, then you will begin at the first year level as a music major at CWU, and it will take a minimum of four years to complete your music degree.

    If you have taken music courses and you want to receive credit for these continue reading the information in this section.

    Please note: Completing music courses at another institution does not guarantee admission to Central Washington University or the degree program.

    Transfer Credit For Theory

    According to State policy, an earned AA degree from an accredited Washington State Community College automatically satisfies the General Education requirement for a Bachelor's degree.

    In addition to general education classes:

    We are happy to give transfer students credit for theory courses taken at other institutions. However, we need to be sure that your knowledge and skills are on par with the students who have gone through our theory sequence. If you are transferring any theory courses from another institution, you must take our in house diagnostic exam in music theory. This exam is given during the summer orientation for transfer students. To learn more about what this exam covers visit our Transfer Theory Diagnostic Exam page. Your registration for other music courses, including applied music (private lessons), will be in jeopardy if you do not take this exam.

    Transfer Credit For Applied Lessons

    Your entrance audition will determine your level of applied study, in order to prepare appropriate literature and to demonstrate the appropriate technique on your instrument for this audition, please visit your major instrument’s audition requirements page. At the bottom of that page you will find the Entrance Standards for your instrument. Transfer students wanting to enter into the 364 (junior) level of applied study must demonstrate a mastery of skills listed at the 264 (sophomore) level. Please contact the appropriate applied instructor on your instrument for more information. Transfer students placement in 164, 264, or 364 will be determined by the area faculty.

    Transfer Credit For Piano Skills

    We are happy to give transfer students credit for basic piano skills courses taken at other institutions. However, we need to be sure that your knowledge and skills are on a par with the students who have gone through our piano class sequence. In order to receive credit for your basic piano skills, you will need to schedule an appointment to take the piano proficiency test with a piano faculty member, or you will need to complete our piano class sequence. The Piano Proficiency Test can be found on the Music Student Resources page.

    Transfer Credit For Ensembles

    The CWU music department will accept transfer credits for ensembles from other institutions.

  • Declaring a Major: Music or Composition and Theory

    Music Major

    When you are fully-accepted as a music major, the office will declare your major using the Major Declaration Form and this will reflect on your MyCWU account. If you are accepted into a major in any quarter other than fall, you must fill out this Declaration Form at the time of your acceptance:

    • Pick up the one-page Major declaration form in the Music Office.
    • Complete the form.
    • The signature of the music advisor must be obtained before submitting the completed form to the office. The declaration forms may require additional procedures for various degree programs:

    Admission to the Composition/Theory major

    Admission to this degree program requires a separate audition with the Composition faculty. This audition consists of a short interview (10-15 minutes) during which time the student's compositional experience, interests, and orientations are discussed. The student is additionally expected to bring a small portfolio of representative compositions to the interview for evaluation. A typical portfolio will contain at least 2 to 3 conventionally notated scores for different forces (e.g. solo instrument, small chamber ensembles, etc.) that demonstrate the student's current level of achievement. There are no requirements for the duration of such works, nor are there any stylistic limitations per se, beyond the expectation that the works be in a "serious" (i.e. non popular) idiom. Students are also welcome to bring recordings of their portfolio works to the audition interview, although works existing solely in recorded form are generally not encouraged. Normally freshman students will not be admitted to the composition program until the first two quarters of theory have been successfully completed and passed with a "B" or better. Until admission to this degree has been attained, freshman will be declared as BA Majors.

  • General Requirements for all Music Majors

    NOTE: In order to be in good standing as a music major, the following requirements in this section, as well as other applicable sections on this page, must be followed. If these requirements are not followed, students will be advised out of the music program into another major. Note: some requirements are major specific and do not apply to all majors.

    Academic Performance in Music Courses

    All music majors must earn a grade of C or higher in each music course required for their respective degree.

    Piano Proficiency

    In order to graduate from any music degree program, all music students are required to demonstrate a minimum level of piano proficiency. Students with piano skills can take the proficiency test, if they pass the proficiency test, then they will not be required to take the piano class sequence. These students will need to meet with their advisor to determine appropriate course substitutions for the required piano credits. All other music students must complete the piano class sequence (3 quarters) in order to complete the piano proficiency requirement.

    Only students who are demonstrating adequate progress toward acquiring the skills necessary to pass the piano proficiency will be allowed to progress through the piano class sequence. Students who are not progressing in the sequence will receive the grade of “U”, these students will not be allowed to continue in the sequence, and will have to repeat that piano class the next quarter. Students in piano 3 will take the piano proficiency jury at the end of the quarter. If they pass the piano proficiency jury, then they have completed the piano proficiency requirement and will receive the grade of “S” for piano 3. If they do not pass the piano proficiency jury, then they will receive the grade of “U” and must repeat piano 3 until they pass the proficiency jury and receive the grade of “S” for piano 3.

    Large Ensemble Participation

    Participation in performance ensembles is an essential part of the music major experience. Rehearsing and performing as part of a band, orchestra, or choir provides many benefits. It develops musical listening and performing skills, expands knowledge of repertoire, including contemporary and traditional works, provides the opportunity to learn the style characteristics of historical periods and elements of musical structures, and promotes cohesiveness in the musical community.

    Students must be enrolled in a large ensemble connected to their major applied area every quarter they are enrolled in lessons in that applied area.

    This concurrent enrollment requirement must be maintained until the credit requirement in either area has been met. Enrollment in the other area must continue until its credit requirement is met.

    If a student is enrolled in more than one large ensemble in a quarter, only one large ensemble enrollment will be considered as meeting this requirement. Additional large ensemble enrollments will be treated as elective credits.

    When circumstances justify not being in a large ensemble, a large ensemble participation waiver form must be submitted to the department chair for approval. These forms are available in the music department office and must be signed by the applied instructor, large ensemble director, and music department advisor. Once ensemble credit requirements are met, students are encouraged to continue in these groups for the sake of their own pedagogical and performing experiences, as well as leadership opportunities. Only the following are designated as large ensembles: Wind Ensemble, MUS 266/466; Choir, MUS 267/467; Chamber Choir, MUS 268/468; Symphonic Winds MUS 269/469; Orchestra, MUS 277/477; Marching and Concert Band, MUS 287/487 (fall quarter only); Symphonic Band, MUS 288/488. Enrollment in either Women’s Choir (MUS 211/411) or Men’s Choir (MUS 228/428) can be substituted for enrollment in a choral large ensemble for a maximum of three quarters.

    Music Theory

    • Entering students must pass an online examination in Music Fundamentals with a score of 75% or better as a prerequisite to MUS 144 (1st year theory). Alternatively, students can pass an online course in Music Fundamentals with a grade of B or better. Both the exam and the course are available online. See the appropriate theory page for detailed instructions.
    • Transfer students who have taken theory courses at another institution will take our in-house theory diagnostic exam during the transfer orientation and will be placed in the appropriate level of the theory sequence. See the Transfer Student section above for more information.
  • Recital and Convocation Attendance Requirements

    Accreditation by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) requires that music departments ensure students hear live music as a part of their training. Attendance at recitals, concerts, and Music Department Convocation fulfill that requirement. In addition, Convocation promotes the department as an integrated community of students, faculty, and staff with announcements and sharing of information of broader interest.

    Recital Attendance

    • All students majoring in music must attend an average of eight (8) recitals/concerts for each fall, winter, and spring. After four years’ worth of recitals/concerts have been attended, the student will only be required to attend Convocations until they graduate (see below). Transfer students must maintain the prescribed average attendance for each year in residence until graduation or up to four years, after which Convocation attendance requirements will still apply.
    • For BA Music, BM Composition, Performance majors: 4 years (12 quarters) = 96 recitals/concerts, and all convocations.
    • For BM Music Education majors: (11 Quarters) = 88 recitals/concerts, and all convocations.
    • In order to receive recital/concert credit the student must be an active listener and not involved in the performance in which they are receiving an attendance scan. Recitals/concerts lasting 30 minutes or longer will receive one scan for attendance credit.

    Convocation Attendance

    • Students must also attend all department Convocations. If a Convocation is missed, students must make-up each absence by attending 3 additional recitals/concerts--no excused absences are permitted. These additional recitals/concerts are automatically added to the student’s graduation requirement.
    • Students who have completed their required recital attendance and all music credits for their degree or certification may petition the department chair to be exempt from the Convocation attendance policy while they are completing their remaining non-music credits. These petitions will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

    Verification of Recital/Convocation Attendance:

    • The Music Office will track attendance. Students, applied faculty and department advisors will be given regular attendance reports each quarter. Students applying for graduation must complete these requirements before they will be allowed to graduate.
    • Preferably, student's will use a QR code of their ID number, or alternatively their CWU Connection Card, to verify attendance, so one of these must be brought to each event attended. The QR Code/connection card will be scanned both at the beginning and end of convocations and at the end of recital performances (please note that there will be random recital performances throughout the year requiring both beginning and ending scans as well). If both scans are not received for these events, credit will not be given. For recitals, students will be allowed credit for one performance only if the QR code/connection card is not brought (That is one total for a student’s entire time here, NOT one per quarter). If a student is performing on a convocation, they are still responsible for obtaining both scans.
    • Scans may not be received for events in which the student has performed, in whole or in part. Violation of this will be subject to the penalty listed below.
    • All music majors must adhere to the academic dishonesty policy (CWUP 05-90-40(22)) as defined by the Student Conduct Code (WAC 106-125-020). Any student who has been found to have cheated and/or fabricated the attendance of an event for which they did not fully attend will be subject to a penalty of three (3) recital scans. Repeat offenses will be subject to an additional penalty of three (3) recital scans or more at the discretion of the department chair.
  • Applied Music (private lesson) Requirements

    Applied lessons are required in every music degree offered at CWU. Students accepted into the Music Education, Composition or BA degrees will register for 1-credit lessons, and those in the Performance degree will register for 2 credit lessons. As space allows, priority will be given to (in order):

    1. Music majors who have not yet finished applied study degree requirements
    2. Music majors with secondary instruments as indicated by degree requirements
    3. Music majors who have completed their applied study degree requirements
    4. Music majors with secondary instruments as not indicated by degree requirements
    5. Non-majors
    • All students will enroll in applied study as appropriate to their degree programs.
    • In the confirmation of degree program assessment (jury), all faculty in that particular area (the areas are defined as piano, voice, strings, woodwinds, brass, and percussion) by majority vote will make decisions about students who qualify for the various degree programs. When there is only one full-time faculty who represents an area, an ensemble director will be asked to serve in the “confirmation” process. When there is an even number of jurors, the primary teacher’s vote will serve as a tiebreaker. Students will be confirmed in their degree programs when they pass to the 264 level.
    • Performance majors must attempt to jury to 264, 364, and 464 after 3 quarters of study at 164, 264, and 364 respectively. Failing to advance, students will be placed on probation. Failure to advance following a quarter on probation will result in removal from the performance degree. This is part of the “Second Year Confirmation.”
    • Music Education and Composition majors will be given up to 4 quarters at 164 (a 5th with probation) and 4 quarters at 264 (a 5th with probation) to complete the respective level changes. BA majors are required to advance to the 264 level, and like the other non-performance degrees, will be given up to 4 quarters at 164 and a 5th with probation. Failure to advance following a quarter on probation will result in removal from the respective degree. BA Majors must complete two quarters at the 364 level or two quarters at the 264 level and additional secondary lessons (171) to reach the required 12 credits of applied lessons.
    • Students placed on probation due to failing a required level-up jury will adhere to the following restrictions until such time they are removed from this status:
      • The student may not enroll in more than a total of 15 credits.
      • The student may not enroll in more than one ensemble. Participation in this ensemble is restricted to the student’s primary instrument of study.
      • If recommended by the respective instrument area, the student may be restricted from enrolling in any ensembles.
    • The lengths of applied lessons are as follows: 25 minutes for 1 credit lessons and 50 minutes for 2 credit lessons. Professors and instructors may elect to teach longer periods of time for both 1 and 2 credit lessons. Students who are enrolled in applied study will receive additional instruction provided by studio class.
    • As specified in the various degree programs, students will enroll for a half or full recital as a minimum requirement for graduation.
    • An entering music major admitted on probation in the major applied area may study for one quarter at the 171 level. If the 164 level is not reached after one quarter (can be extended by one quarter), music major status will be denied.
    • Student repertory forms must be completed and submitted to the applied instructor prior to the performance examination or jury examination each quarter. Forms may be obtained from the private applied instructor or in the Music Office. Jury examinations will be scheduled each quarter. Students performing a junior recital or a senior recital may be exempted from the jury examination at the end of the quarter in which the recital participation occurred. Performance majors will be expected to perform an extended jury exam at the conclusion of the 3rd quarter of study at the 264 level. Permission to continue as a performance major in upper division studies will be made at this time.
    • It is critical that you meet your lesson at the scheduled time. Lessons are offered to develop your performance skills and musicality to the highest level appropriate to your particular musical concentration. In order to realize these objectives, regular, punctual attendance is a necessity.

    Recital Requirements

    • Students pursuing all degrees requiring applied study at the 364 level will be required to present a 1/2 (20-25 min.) recital. (See Student Recital Procedures below). The recital will be evaluated as Outstanding, Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory; recitals evaluated as Unsatisfactory will not fulfill this degree requirement.
    • All bachelor of music performance majors must successfully complete six credits at the 464 level, present a joint or half recital at the 364 level, and a full (45-50 min.) recital at the 464 level.(See Student Recital Procedures below)
  • First and Second Year Confirmations

    First-Year Confirmation

    All students, including transfer students, will be admitted as music majors with areas of specializations (performance, music ed., BA). The First-Year Confirmation will be used to validate the areas of specializations. The First-Year Confirmation occurs at the end of the first year of study in the department, normally at the time of the first advancement jury for performance majors. Degree program assessments will occur with the music advisor at the end of the freshman year.

    ​Second-Year Confirmation

    At the completion of your sophomore year, all Music Education majors will complete a professional interview conducted by the Music Education committee member(s), the chair, and/or the advisor. The purpose of this interview is to discuss your academic record and to evaluate your progress in the Music Education program. The interview will take about 15-20 minutes and you will be asked to dress professionally. The results of the student’s Second Year Confirmation are a result of the review of the Music Advisor, Area Faculty, Private Instructor, and Music Office.

    Second-Year Confirmation of Major will review the following:

    • Academic Progress (examining applicable progress in theory, ensembles, applied study, piano class, music ed., composition, as well as convocation and recital attendance; students must also earn 3.0 GPA or higher to be “confirmed”).
    • Progress in General Education sequence, at least one general education course must be taken and passed every quarter.
    • Applied Progress (at the second jury advancement for performance majors, examining the potential for success in making it to the required applied level by the time the student is a senior). By the Second Year Confirmation, music ed. majors should be in the middle of the 264 level applied sequence.
    • Music Education Progress (only for students who are pursuing a degree in music education).
    • Students must maintain a “last 45-credits GPA” of 3.0 in order to continue in the education program.
    • Progress in a Double Music Major. Students who are eligible to combine Music Education and Performance, or Music Education and Composition, must still meet all requirements of both majors. If the student fails to meet the requirements for both majors and make significant progress in the degrees they will be advised to drop one of the majors.
  • Credit Requirements for Baccalaureate Degree
    • Of the 180 credits needed for the Baccalaureate degree, 52-60 credits are required in Basic and Breadth courses, 60-123 credits are required in music major areas and for those in the teacher education program, 48-58 credits are required in the professional education sequence (see Catalog for various education options).
    • 60 upper division (300 or 400 level courses) credits are required for graduation. This is a university requirement.
    • The Bachelor of Music in Music Education has three tracks, all of which lead to K-12 certification. All Bachelor of Music in Music Education majors require 52 credits in the Professional Education program.
    • Broad Area specialization requires 96-97 music credits and qualifies the student to teach choral, instrumental and general music.
    • Instrumental area specialization requires 91-92 music credits, and qualifies the student to teach instrumental and general music.
    • Choral area specialization requires 90-91 music credits and qualifies the student to teach choral music and general music.
    • The Bachelor of Music in Performance requires 122-123 credits of music courses.
    • The Bachelor of Music in Theory/Composition requires 127-128 credits of music courses. Of particular interest to transfer students is the fact that a sequence of four years of composition courses are required. This can lead to difficulty for transfer students, especially those transferring from Community College programs, which normally do not offer courses in Composition.
    • The Bachelor of Arts Major in Music requires 71 credits of music courses.
    • Music History courses at CWU are upper division, 300 level courses. No music history courses taken at Community Colleges are considered equivalent, since such institutions cannot offer upper division courses.
  • Information for Music Education Majors

    Teacher Preparation Program Admission Requirements:

    Please visit the Program Admission webpage for the most up to date information on the teacher Certification Program.

    Student Teaching Requirements

    Please visit the Student Teaching Information webpage for the most up to date information.

  • User/Course Fees

    The following fees are applicable to all students registered for course work in the Department of Music. All fees are to be paid in the Cashiers Office and receipts shown to office staff when necessary. No Refunds will be made after the campus deadline for withdrawal from classes with permission (see quarterly class schedule for dates each quarter). Following is the list of Music courses and required fees:

    • Applied Lessons MUS x64 and MUS x71 1/2 Hour Lessons, (1 credit) $125.00.
    • Applied Lessons MUS x64 and MUS x71 1 Hour Lessons (2 credits or more) $250.00.
    • The following courses assume use of the music computer lab. Use of this lab is covered by the mandatory full-time student technology fee of $25. Part-time students enrolled in any of these classes will be assessed this mandatory $25 fee. MUS 144, 145, 146, 244, 245, 246 Theory MUS 154A Class Piano MUS 120, 220, 320, 420 Composition MUS 347 Electronic Music.
    • MUS 229, 429, Percussion Ensemble: $5.00 per quarter of enrollment.
    • MUS 254 Class Brass, Woodwinds & String: $15.00 per quarter of enrollment.
    • Recital Fee: $50. This fee pays for program printing, stage manager and recording costs and includes a download link to a recording of the recital. Recitals canceled less than one month before the scheduled recital date will result in a forfeit of the recital fee.
    • Rescheduling Fee: $25.00. The first time a recital is rescheduled there is no charge. For every reschedule following the first, this fee will be applied.
    • Locker Fee $5. Lockers may be checked out through the Hall Manager, room 146.
    • Vocal Jazz I Fee: A $40 fee each quarter for students enrolled in Vocal Jazz I.
    • MUS x77 Symphony Orchestra Fee: $40 per quarter of enrollment.
    • MUS x66/x69/x88 Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Winds, Symphonic Band: $40 per quarter of enrollment.
    • MUS x32.001 Big Band I: $40 per quarter of enrollment.
  • Student Recital Procedures


    Recitals are scheduled by first visiting the Music Office, to get a list of dates and times that are available for the recital. An Event Approval form is given to the student to take back to their applied instructor. Recital and recital date must be approved by the applied instructor (if a joint recital, both instructors must approve). After the instructor chooses a date and has signed the Event Approval form, the student returns the form to Office Assistant 3 in the front office to complete the scheduling process. Students must be registered for applied music in the performance area during the quarter in which the recital is to be performed.

    • Scheduling can ONLY be done with the Office Assistant 3. Do not ask other office personnel to implement scheduling requests.
    • 400 level and Grad level recitals can be booked two quarters in advance. 300 level recitals can be booked one quarter in advance. Non-degree recitals cannot be scheduled until the quarter of.
    • No recitals will be scheduled during the final examination week, beginning with the evening prior to the first day of Finals.
    • Two rehearsals may be scheduled in advance for the Recital Hall prior to performance date. Any additional time in the hall can be scheduled the week of the recital.
    • No recitals will be scheduled during the summer.

    Due to space constraints in the Music building, the following resolutions were approved through a faculty majority vote.

    • The choir room has been added as a performance space when necessary.
    • Noon performances may be scheduled on Sundays during winter and spring.
    • Student recitals may be scheduled the same day as large ensemble and faculty performances.
    • Priority will be given for department events in the Recital Hall and Choir room during Spring Quarter.

    Recital Fee

    A Student Charge Form must also be completed and returned to the Music Office. This authorizes the Music Department to place a $50 fee on the student's university account.


    Program information must be submitted to the office at least ten days before the recital date. This information should be emailed to Hard copy program proofs will be placed in the mailbox of the supervising faculty member within three days of its initial submission. Programs must be proofed and returned to the office at least five days before the recital date. Failure to adhere to these deadlines will result in no guarantee of program availability for distribution at the concert or recital.

    Posters and Foyer TV Monitor

    Posters can be made on campus at The Wildcat Shop Custom Printing located in the SURC. Production and printing costs are the responsibility of the student. Posters should be submitted to the Music Office for posting. Posters deemed inappropriate will not be allowed to be posted in the department. For display on the digital sign in the foyer, please email a 1920x1080 landscape oriented RGB jpeg file to


    • 364 and 564 level recitals must consist of at least 20 minutes of music.
    • 364 level students are encouraged to do shared recitals.
    • 464 and 664 recitals must consist of at least 40 minutes of music.
    • The total run time of student recitals, including tear down, shall not exceed 60 minutes in the performance hall.

    Recital Cancelations

    The first time a recital is rescheduled (more than 30 days in advance) there is no charge. For every reschedule following the first, a rescheduling fee will be applied. If students cancel a recital less than one month prior to the scheduled recital date, the recital fee will be forfeited. If it is rescheduled, a new recital fee must be paid.


    The student lounge or the Rotunda are available for receptions following recitals if the student wishes to have one. Set-up/cleanup, supplies, refreshments, etc. are the responsibility of the student. Additional cleaning fees that have been charged to the department, due to inadequate cleaning up after a recital reception will be charged to the student(s) who had scheduled the recital reception.

    Recording and Live Streaming of Recital

    • All concerts and recitals are recorded. Students giving a recital are provided a download link.
    • Students who perform in an ensemble concert, or another student’s recital, may request a download link from the front office staff. Please note, you must be a current CWU student. No phone or e-mail orders will be accepted.
    • State, University policy and copyright laws prohibit us from providing recordings to anyone who did not perform in the concert being requested.
    • Recordings prior to Fall 2016 are archived on CD only. Requests for these will require a $5.00 charge for a duplicated CD.
    • Live streamed events will be viewable only during the performance time and will not be saved for future viewing.
    • We will strive to live stream all music building performances, however, due to potential technical difficulties and scheduling conflicts, this is not a guarantee.
  • Use of Central Recording Room Equipment

    Music Majors may request the use of department equipment to make audio, and or video, recordings in the Performance or Ensemble Rehearsal rooms. There are two methods for doing so:

    1. Use of the Central Recording Room equipment requires the use of a recording tech. The following conditions apply:
      • Recording must be for an academic purpose and approval must be received from student's primary lesson teacher. A form for this approval is available from the Music Office. Academic purpose includes, but is not limited to: Graduate or Doctoral applications, festival or institutional adjudication that may lead to academic honors, scholarship, or award.
      • Requests must be submitted to the Music Office 14 days prior to requested recording date. Requests within 14 days may not be considered. Schedule changes, other than cancellation, will not be permitted within this 14 day period.
      • Recordings, which use Central Recording Room equipment, must utilize a paid recording technician who is scheduled by the electronic media producer.
      • All scheduling will be done through the front office, in cooperation with the hall manager, in order to coordinate a time for both available space and recording personnel.
      • The standard fee for student recording is $25 per hour, which will include all setup and processing time.
      • Multi track recording is available, at an increased rate, but must be quoted by, and discussed with, the electronic media producer at least four weeks in advance.
      • Video recordings may be requested at a rate of $50.00 per hour, plus materials, processing, editing and transfer time.
      • It is not permissible for another student who has not been scheduled to step in and use any remaining recording time scheduled.
    2. Portable recording devices are available for student use without charge. Learning how to use this equipment is the responsibility of the user, but is quite simple. Students may schedule time with Anne Smethurst in the front office.
  • Classroom, Band and Choir Room Usage

    Classrooms may be used for practice or rehearsal whenever the building is open and they are not being used for scheduled classes. Exceptions are as follows: a) the piano lab may not be checked out by students; b) use of the jazz room requires prior approval from the head of the jazz program.

    Reservation requests may be made through the Music Office before 2:30 PM, Monday through Friday. All requests must be made in person, no phone calls. Recurring reservations are limited to once weekly, per group, per quarter. Additional reservations can be made weekly, beginning each Friday for the following week. Room reservations for non-music students and clubs must be made through SURC Scheduling.

    First Come First Serve Use

    Rooms may also be checked out on a first-come first-serve basis. To do this after 5:00 PM and on weekends, you will need to check with the building monitor on duty. Building monitors will not be available during department-sponsored recitals or concerts.

    Evening and weekend classroom use requires observation of the following protocol:

    • The student must check in with the building monitor on duty. The condition of the room will be checked.
    • Temporarily you will surrender your student ID to the on duty monitor.
    • The room must be left in the condition it was entered. If things are moved to accommodate the rehearsal, they must be put back in their proper place.
    • The student must checkout with the building monitor on duty. The condition of the room will be checked. When approved, student ID will be returned.

    If any of the above four steps are omitted or the room is left in messy condition, a warning will be given for the first infraction (through the student's advisor or private instructor). The second time a student omits one of the above four steps, the privilege of the use of the room will be taken away for the rest of the quarter.

  • CWU Instrument Use Policy

    The Central Washington University Department of Music maintains an inventory of instruments for students to use for classes and ensembles. These instruments may be checked out at no charge. However, the student is responsible for the instrument according to the terms and conditions specified on the check-out form, which includes, but is not limited to the following summarized items:

    • You agree that this musical instrument is on loan to you for use ONLY in Department of Music classes, ensembles and activities and is not to be loaned to others under any circumstance.
    • You assume full responsibility to handle, maintain and keep secure the instrument and it’s accessories.
    • You agree to be financially responsible for any repair, or replacement, resulting from any damage done or loss of the University property described in the checkout agreement during the term of the agreement. In addition, in the case of loss, theft or damage beyond repair, you agree to be liable for the replacement value of the item, listed, and made part of the agreement.
    • You agree to clean and return the instrument and accessories by the due date specified. Failure to clean the instrument may result in a $25.00 cleaning charge.
    • Students who do not return an instruments by the specified due date may be charged an amount equal to the replacement value of the instrument and accessories.
    • A non-refundable late fee of $25.00 will be assessed for all late instrument returns.

    To checkout instruments, go to the hall manager office, room 146, or use the online form, and provide the necessary information along with your requested type of instrument. An agreement will be prepared for you to sign after agreeing to abide by the checkout agreement terms and conditions. Upon receipt you should confirm the instrument’s condition, and included accessories, are consistent with the description contained on the agreement. If any inconsistencies exist, notify the hall manager immediately. Included on the agreement, sent via email, is a due date for the instruments return. Please be sure to return the instrument by this due date. In fact, it’s a good idea to return the instrument as soon as you no longer are in need of it. This frees it up for use by other students who may be waiting for it.

    To return the instrument you must physically bring it back to the hall manager’s office for inspection and check in. Please note it is your responsibility to return the instrument thoroughly cleaned. A good rule of thumb is to return the instrument in the condition you would like to check it out in. Upon confirmation that the instrument has been cleaned and no damage, other than typical wear and tear, has occurred, you will receive another document, via email, confirming return receipt of the instrument by the hall manager.

  • Other Information and Policies

    Assignment of Lockers

    All lockers are assigned in the Hall Manager's Office, room 146. The student completes a simple form, which allows the Music Department to charge the student's account a rental fee of $5 for the academic year. The fee covers the use of a department locker and lock for that time period. After finals week of Spring quarter, or at such time that you no longer need it, the locker must be emptied. Leave the cleaned out locker locked and notify the hall manager you are finished using it. Students who wish to retain a locker for the summer may do so if the student is enrolled in summer courses and will actively be using the locker over the summer. Summer locker use must be arranged with the Hall Manager before the last day of finals week Spring quarter.

    The Music department is not responsible for lost or stolen items stored in lockers, or left in the building. Make sure valuables (particularly instruments) are insured. Most homeowner and renter insurance covers personal items away from home, but double check with your insurance agent.

    Practice Rooms

    Food and drink are NOT PERMITTED in the practice rooms. Do not place anything on top of the pianos as this can leave marks. Reserving rooms by leaving belongings in the room is not permitted. Belongings left unattended for more than 10 minutes may be moved to a corner and the occupancy of the room surrendered. All practice rooms are left unlocked for use when building is open, except for the percussion practice rooms and those reserved for studying the piano. For permission to get keys for these rooms see appropriate instructor.

    Music Stands

    Music stands located in the concert and recital halls must remain in the concert and recital hall. Music stands are available in each practice room. If you have a scheduled rehearsal in a classroom, and there are not enough stands in the room, you may borrow one from an adjacent class or practice room. All borrowed stands must be returned to their original location immediately after the rehearsal.

    All of the music stands in the McIntyre Music building that belong to the Department of Music are, under no circumstances, to be used for any function outside the building without the prior permission of the hall manager who will "check out" stands as needed.

    Student Employment & Work-Study Program

    Jobs may be available in the Department of Music for music students who qualify for either the Work-Study Program or Regular Student Employment. Students interested in a job in the Department of Music should apply in the Music Office for any available openings.

    Students demonstrating financial need and requiring a job to help pay for college expenses are potentially eligible for employment in the Work-Study Program. Jobs are available both on and off campus. Qualifying students may work 19 hours per week. Contact the Financial Aid Office for complete information. Students who do not qualify for work-study, but still need assistance meeting college expenses, may qualify for Regular Student Employment.

    If unable to find a position in the Music Department, students needing to work should look into the following job possibilities:

    • Dining Services: Hires more than 300 students each month.
    • Auxiliary Services: Hires 40 students each year.
    • Other large employing areas are: Library, Academic Skills Center, Computer Services, Physical Plant (custodial and maintenance work), University Bookstore, Conference Center, and the P.E. and Education Departments.
    • Student Employment Office: Has lists of both on and off campus jobs.

    Office Equipment Usage

    • Students are not permitted to utilize any of the office machines for their own private use.
    • Other than student employees on duty, students are not permitted to use the computers in the Music Office. In addition to the computers in the McIntyre Music building lab (room 213), computers are available on campus for student use in the Library, Shaw Smyser and Black Hall. Copy and Fax machines are available in the SURC, Bookstore and the Library. The computer station/keyboards in Music 213 are to be used for practice and study only. Excessive use of the computers for personal email and net surfing will result in forfeit of the room use.

    Posters and Sign Postings

    • Policy regarding signs, notices, etc. states in part: "Taping signs or other displays to walls, doors...causes damage and is, therefore, prohibited."
    • Posters, notices and miscellaneous items are not to be taped to wall and/or glass entrance door surfaces.
    • Postings are to be limited to existing bulletin boards. Ensemble and Club posting boards are located in the hallway across from the Ensemble Rehearsal rooms. Open posting boards are located in the Student Lounge, room 140.
    • All Postings must be approved by the Music Office through , the Office Assistant 3.
    • The Scheduling Center in SURC 146 must approve all posters and signs with a stamp that can be obtained in that office prior to posting anywhere on Campus.
    • To post notices for items for sale, to buy, to rent, etc.:
      • These notices must have the date of posting (obtained from the Music Office) on top of notice. Without this date, the notice will be removed.
      • Post on bulletin board outside the Music Office. There is a special area for such things.
      • These notices will remain on the bulletin board for one month.
      • These notices may be posted on the CWU Intranet.

    Student Information Service

    The Music Office posts information regarding summer workshops, music camps and festivals on the Summer Opportunities board located across from the first floor practice rooms. Information regarding Graduate School opportunities may be found on the bulletin board located on the second floor next to room 210. Scholarship and employment opportunities are posted on the bulletin board located across from the Music Office, next to the recital hall side entrance. To research additional scholarship opportunities visit the CWU Scholarships office web site. For student employment postings, visit the Student Employment web site.

    All forms are electronic and must be approved and signed by the instructor of record and/or the advisor. The only printed form for signature is the Major Declaration Change form.

    The Music Office has copies of Advising/Checkout forms for each degree. These may be requested from office staff.

  • Health, Safety, and Emergency Policies

    University policies for Ethics, Health and Safety, and Compliance can be found at the Office Of The President's web site along with all relevant University policies and procedures. Policies and procedures for emergency preparedness, along with important information about CWU's Emergency Notification System, can be found in the Campus Police portion of the University web site.

  • Student Organizations

    Organizations available for student membership in the Department of Music and respective Faculty to contact are:

    • NAfME - TBA, Room 112
    • ACDA - Dr. Nicole Lamartine, Room 122
    • JEN, Jazz Education Network - Dr. Keith Karns, Room 224
    • ASTA - Carrie Rehkopf, Room 115
    • CWUHE - Horn Club, Dr. Jeff Snedeker, Room 208
    • Trumpet Club - Professor John Harbaugh, Room 219
    • Trombone Club - Dr. John Neurohr, Room 216
    • SNATS, Student National Association for Music Education, Dr. Melissa Schiel, Room 214
    • CAH LLC - Living Learning Community, Dean's Office
  • Syllabus Statement

    Diversity and Incusivity

    Every student in this course is a valued member of this learning community. We all come from different backgrounds and have different experiences, and all are valued and celebrated. Furthermore, in this course, you have the right to determine your own identity. You have the right to be called by whatever name you wish and for that name to be pronounced as correctly as possible. You have the right to be referred to by whatever pronoun you wish. You have the right to adjust those things at any point in your education. If there are aspects of the instruction of this course that result in barriers to your inclusion or a sense of alienation from course content, please contact the instructor and/or speak to the Music Advisor privately without fear of reprisal so we can work together to address the issue. You may also take your concerns to the Department of Music Chair.

    Physical Contact

    Music instruction is a physical activity and appropriate physical contact between students and instructor in class is helpful to training. Throughout the course (and only with the student’s consent), the instructor may need to use their hands to illustrate a concept to a student or to lightly adjust parts of the student’s body (fingers, wrist, arm, head). The instructor recognizes that such physical contact is a potentially complex area and recognizes the responsibility for safeguarding and protecting the welfare of both the students and the instructor. If physical touch is suggested for the instruction, the instructor will communicate how, where, and why the touch is happening and the instructor will ask for your consent. You may say that you are not comfortable with touch during that lesson/class and the instructor will find an alternative method of instruction for that concept. If you experience any discomfort, are uncomfortable with touch, or not comfortable speaking up during the instruction, please contact the instructor via email, phone or let the Music Advisor know. You may also take your concerns to the Department of Music Chair.

    Public Performance

    Public performances are a requirement for this music course. By the nature of enrolling in this course, you are agreeing to have your name published in any production material associated with the required public performances. Promotional photographs may appear in the local newspaper, online and in campus publications. In addition, due to the collaborative nature of a production, other classes associated with the production may be aware of your enrollment in courses that are associated with the production. If you have any concerns about this, please speak with the instructor or the Music Advisor.

    Mental Health Information

    Stress and other life circumstances that may be out of your control can make learning and focusing difficult. If you find stress or other mental health concerns make academics difficult, Central has resources to support you. Students are encouraged to reach out to faculty as soon as a struggle is recognized.

    Academic Dishonesty

    Central Washington University holds its students to the highest standards of academic integrity and honesty. Academic dishonesty of any kind is not tolerated and may result in failure of the assignment, and/or course, and/or expulsion from the University. Plagiarism on written assignments will result in a zero for the assignment and may result in further disciplinary action through the University. What constitutes academic dishonesty is clearly defined by the CWU Conduct Code Section II, Line B. The code is available at

    Accessibility and Accommodations

    Central Washington University is committed to creating a learning environment that meets the needs of its diverse student body. If you anticipate or experience any barriers to learning, discuss your concerns with the instructor. Students with disabilities may contact Disability Services to discuss a range of options to removing barriers, including accommodations. Disability Services is located in Hogue 126. Call (509) 963-2214 or email for more information. While Disability Services notifies faculty of student accommodations, information regarding a student's disability is confidential.

    Religious Obligations

    In compliance with RCW 28B.137.010, Central Washington University makes every effort to deal reasonably and fairly with students who, because of religious obligations, have conflicts with scheduled exams, assignments or required attendance. Students must present written notice to their instructor within the first two weeks of class listing the specific dates on which accommodations are required. Contact the Dean of Student Success at (509) 963-1515 for further information or questions.

    Sexual Misconduct/Title IX

    Central Washington University is committed to providing all community members with a learning and work environment that is free from sexual harassment and assault. You have options for getting help if you have experienced sexual assault, relationship violence, sexual harassment, or stalking. This information can be found at

    As an instructor, one of my responsibilities is to help create a safe learning environment at our university and in my class. I also have a mandatory reporting responsibility related to my role as a faculty member. It is my goal that you feel able to share information related to your life experiences in classroom discussions, in your written work, and in our one-on-one meetings. I will seek to keep information you share private to the greatest extent possible. However, I am required to share information regarding sexual misconduct or information about a crime that may have occurred while you are a student here with the University. Students may speak to someone confidentially by contacting the Wellness Center, 509-963-3213.