Admission Audition Requirements
For New Tuba and Euphonium Students
In order to study Tuba and Euphonium at CWU, you must first audition for the music faculty. This step is required to complete your acceptance into the CWU Department of Music program. This audition gives us an opportunity to hear the level you have achieved in your musical skills and it gives you the opportunity to discuss your development with collegiate instructors. Performance entrance standards may be found at the bottom of the page. For more details about the admissions process pleas visit our Music Program Auditions & Admissions page.
For your audition we recommend the following:
- Select music which best displays your performance level.
- We strongly recommend you prepare your audition material under the supervision of your private teacher and/or music director.
- Any two contrasting etudes from standard etude books, e.g., Bordogni, Tyrell, Blazevich, Kopprasch)
- A solo that demonstrates the student's highest level of technical and musical achievement.
Transfer students who wish to be admitted at the 364 level, or higher, must demonstrate competencies equivalent to those listed on the appropriate Performance Standards section below.
Admissions Audition Registration
Before you can audition you must register for an audition time. Please visit our Music Program Auditions & Admissions page for further information.
Large Ensemble Audition Requirements
For new and returning tuba and euphonium students wishing to play in a large ensemble, Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Winds, and Symphonic Band auditions will take place during the first week of of each new quarter. Fall auditions have specific materials for all who intend to play in a large ensemble. For the schedule, and further details, please visit our Ensemble Auditions page. Auditions for Winter and/or Spring will be announced as needed. Check our Audition Excerpts page for specific excerpts.
Contact Dr. David McLemore for more information.
Tuba Euphonium Ensemble Audition Requirements
Contact the music office for more information about auditioning for the Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble.
- Performance Standards,Tuba & Euphonium
If you are considering a transfer to CWU it's very important that you review the information on our Transfer Student Information for Music Majors page as well.
In addition to two contrasting etudes from from standard etude books, e.g., Bordogni, Tyrell, Blazevich, Kopprasch, students wishing to transfer should prepare representative repertoire that demonstrates their level of ability. Here are some examples.
"The man who think he can
and the man who thinks he can't are both right"
- Henry Ford
- Freshmen, 164 - Haddad: Suite for tuba
- Sophomore, 264 (transfer) - Lebedev: Konzert
- Junior 364 (transfer) - Gregson: Tuba Concerto
- Senior 464 (transfer) - Vaughan Williams: Concerto
- Freshmen, 164 - Mozart: Concerto for Bassoon K191
- Sophomore 264, (transfer) - Guilmant: Morceau Symphonique
- Junior 364 (transfer) - White: Lyric Suite
- Senior 464 (transfer) - Horovitz: Concerto for Euphonium
Junior and Senior level transfer students who play tuba should also be able to demonstrate the ability to play a bass tuba such as an F-tuba or Eb tuba.
Junior and Senior level transfer students who play euphonium should also be able to demonstrate the ability to double on trombone or tuba.