Admission Audition Requirements
For New Trumpet Students
In order to study Trumpet at CWU, you must first audition for the music faculty. This step is required to complete your acceptance into the CWU Department of Music program. This audition gives us an opportunity to hear the level you have achieved in your musical skills and it gives you the opportunity to discuss your development with collegiate instructors. Performance entrance standards may be found at the bottom of the page. For more details about the admissions process pleas visit our Music Program Auditions & Admissions page.
For your audition we recommend the following:
- Select music which best displays your performance level.
- We strongly recommend you prepare your audition material under the supervision of your private teacher and/or music director.
- Arbans: Characteristic Studies #1, first 7 lines down to the key change, pg. 285 (tempo: 1/4 note = 80)
- Chromatic scale from low F# to high C. Higher if possible.
- Melodic Solo selection of your choice. Pieces used for State Solo contest would be ideal.
Other examples include Haydn Trumpet Concerto 2nd movement, or a similar work showing melodic playing capabilities.
Transfer students who wish to be admitted at the 364 level, or higher, must demonstrate competencies equivalent to those listed on the appropriate Performance Standards section below.
Admissions Audition Registration
Before you can audition you must register for an audition time. Please visit our Music Admission & Audition Registration page for further information.
Large Ensemble Audition Requirements
For new and returning trumpet students wishing to play in a large ensemble, Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Winds, and Symphonic Band auditions will take place during the first week of of each new quarter. Fall auditions have specific materials for all who intend to play in a large ensemble. For the schedule, and further details, please visit our Ensemble Auditions page. Auditions for Winter and/or Spring will be announced as needed. Check our Audition Excerpts page for specific trumpet excerpts.
Contact Dr. John Harbaugh for more information.
Jazz Band & Combos
Information for Jazz Bands and combos can be found on the Jazz Auditions page.
Performance Standards, Trumpet
If you are considering a transfer to CWU it's very important that you review the information on our Transfer Student Information for Music Majors page as well.
These studies are from William Adam's approach to playing trumpet and are to be used under the direction of a former William Adam student. Please do not expect the desired results without the direction from that type of teacher.
"The man who think he can
and the man who thinks he can't are both right"
- Henry Ford
364 Level, Junior
- F.J. Haydn, Concerto for Trumpet and Ocrhestra-mvt 1
- E. Bozza, Rustiques
- Arutunian, Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra
- Colin, Progressive Technique for Trumpet
- Thiecke. The Art of Trumpet Playing
- Gates, Odd Meter Exercises
- Vannetelbosch, 20 Etudes Melodiques and Technique
- Alan Goldberg, Playing Out of your Mind
- Bach/Gisondi, Bach for Trumpet
464 Level, Senior
- Enesco, Legend
- Descenclos, Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra
- Haynie, How to Play High Notes and All Those in Between
- Schlossberg, Daily Drills & Technical Studies
- Nagel, Studies in Contemporary Music
- Charlier, 36 Etudes Transcendantes
- Neuhaus, Ausfuehrliche Orchesterstudien, Books 1-5
- William Adam, A New and Different Way of Getting More Music Out of the Trumpet