CWU Music: Your Music Career Begins Here
Welcome to CWU Music, where we're not only devoted to increasing your musical skills and knowledge, but bringing you a close knit experience in a music program dedicated to learning, living and doing what you’ve come here for! Our commitment to your success and passion to pursue excellence is our first priority. Our faculty and staff do everything possible to help you succeed and leave here with an experience you will never forget. One which will carry you well into your future career and life of music.
We will now be live streaming all performances through our CWU Music Department YouTube channel. Streams will appear about 15 minutes prior to the beginning of a performance as a featured video.
The Department of Music is a community of artists, scholars and educators dedicated to achieving the highest standards of musical knowledge, performance and teaching.
- The department is committed to preparing students for careers in music, providing them with the skill to become knowledgeable and confident music educators, performers, and practitioners, enabling them to enrich the lives of the communities in which they live and serve.
- The music department also provides opportunities for the CWU students in general, to study music and to engage in artistic experiences as an essential part of their liberal arts education.
- The CWU music department serves as a leader for K-12 music education and provides opportunities for the general public to experience music performances of the highest quality in a broad range of styles and genres.
The Department of Music will be recognized and respected for:
- Its commitment to offering a challenging curriculum and for maintaining a supportive environment
- The excellence of its student, ensemble and faculty performances in a broad range of styles and genres, and
- The fulfillment of its motto: “Where Teaching is a Performing Art, and Performing is a Way of Life.”
As a community of practicing musicians and scholars, we believe that the Department’s mission is best realized when we emphasize:
- Students: Hold each student’s greatest good as our primary concern
- Integrity: Provide models of the highest ethical and moral standards
- Teaching: Deem outstanding teaching to be the most important attribute of the faculty
- Academics: Implement a rigorous curriculum in each degree program
- Curriculum: Regard each degree program as equally valid, with no program intrinsically superior to any other
- Learning Environment: Create an intellectually and emotionally safe environment in which students can learn, develop and mature
- Diversity: Respect and embrace diversity in all its forms
- Relevance: Respond creatively and thoughtfully to the inevitable changes of the fluid society in which we live
Professor Mark Goodenberger
CWU has been accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) since 1967.
For information regarding NASM, please contact the National Office at
11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21
Reston VA 20190-5348