Summer Jazz Camp Information
"An amazing faculty, a great curriculum, a stellar facility, and a beautiful location."
CWU Summer Jazz Camp, an amazing experience for any young student desiring to increase their proficiency in jazz music. Whether you're just getting started in jazz or you're looking to prepare for the CWU Jazz Program or collegiate level auditions, our diverse Jazz Camp Faculty are here to help you advance on your path. Take a look and you’ll find that we are the place to study jazz this summer!
Scholarships to the CWU/JIV Jazz Camp are being provided for 2020 by the Ellensburg Arts Commission and Jazz In The Valley, Ellensburg’s jazz festival. More information can be found at the bottom of this page.
The CWU Jazz Camp is open to enrollment for students that will be entering (fall 2021) grades 9-12 and that play these instruments: alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone, trumpet, trombone, guitar, piano, vibes, bass, and drum set.
The CWU Jazz Camp curriculum is built on concepts and skills that are vital to understanding and performing the music at high levels. Every student will receive instruction in these five areas, regardless of ability and/or skill level.
- Jazz Theory and Arranging
- Instrument Masterclass
- Ensemble Playing
- Jazz History
Class sessions will focus on practical skills and time-tested concepts that will develop students within the week of the camp, giving them the inspiration, materials and pathways to continue their development long after camp has ended.
Jazz Camp Schedule Overview for 2020
- Monday, July 20th
Sign in, meet the faculty, placement evaluations, group activities
- Tuesday, July 21st through Friday, July 24th
Masterclasses by instrument, combos and improv classes, jazz listening, big bands, faculty special-focus sessions, evening activities that can include swimming, recreation, jam sessions, video presentations, practice time.
- Friday Evening, July 24th
Attend Jazz In The Valley in downtown Ellensburg.
- Saturday Morning, July 25th
Perform on the Main Stage at Jazz In The Valley! Parents and friends will be admitted free for this performance, which will finish before noon, concluding the camp for 2020.
This page contains links to websites outside of www.cwu.edu. The views and opinions expressed on unofficial pages of Central Washington University faculty, staff or students are strictly those of the page authors. The content of such pages has not been reviewed or approved by Central Washington University.
Upon sign in at the camp, all students will be given evaluation tests that will assist faculty in appropriate placement in jazz theory sessions, combos and big bands. Often students ask what skills they will need to demonstrate during these evaluations. Once students are enrolled, greater detail concerning placement tests will be sent to each student.
In general, this is what we're checking for:
- Jazz theory: knowledge of scales, keys, chord construction, and notation will be evaluated.
- For ensemble placement: tone, intonation, jazz articulation and style, improvisation and sight-reading will be evaluated.
A variety of evening activities are planned that offer options for students to choose from. These activities include, but are not limited to:
- Jam sessions (led by staff)
- Video presentations
- Recreation and practice time
Housing and Food
A meal and housing plan is available through CWU Conference Services which includes Monday lunch and dinner, breakfast-lunch-dinner Tuesday through Friday and Saturday breakfast. Accommodations will be in beautiful, recently constructed residence halls adjacent to the McIntyre Music building and feature rooms with double occupancy. Single rooms are available for an additional charge. Students can request roommates at the time of registration.
A commuter meal plan is available that allows for local students or those wishing to make their own housing arrangements off campus. The commuter plan includes Monday dinner, with lunch and dinner Tuesday through Friday.
- Full package, which includes tuition, double occupancy, 15 meals: $725
- Commuter package, which includes tuition, 10 meals: $575
- CWU/JIV Jazz Camp Scholarship Information
We have available a limited number of scholarships for all instruments. Some of our scholarships are specifically for bass and piano players and some are specifically for students residing in Kittitas county.
All scholarships are worth $350 and will be awarded as a deduction from your balance owing amount.
- Register for the jazz camp at the link above. Only students currently registered for the jazz camp will be considered for scholarships.
- Complete the Online Jazz Scholarship Application
- The online application will require you to provide the following:
- A personal statement detailing why you should be awarded a jazz camp scholarship.
- A statement of support from your school music director (or your private teacher) and MUST include your teacher’s contact information: email, phone, address, and relationship to you.
- A link to a recording (audio or video) that will show your playing ability and musicianship in the jazz genre.
Awards will be distributed and announced by Monday, June 15th, 2020.