Auditioning for Chamber Choir
As CWU's premiere choral ensemble, Chamber Choir requires a rigorous audition for entrance along with a full school year commitment, this group is only open to returning and transfer students at the sophomore level and above. Auditions for all members typically take place the three days prior to the start of fall quarter.
Being accepted into Chamber Choir is a two-part process:
- The first part is the initial audition
- Selected individuals will be invited to a callback audition.
Before going to sign up for auditions please contact Dr. Weidenaar for permission to do so. However, please note sign ups for Chamber Choir auditions are currently unavailable.
There are two things you must prepare.
- Two excerpts chosen by Dr. Weidenaar. E-mail him for these excerpts.
- An art song or aria of your choice which best demonstrates your current skills (60-90 seconds of it - you will sing it unaccompanied).
All those auditioning be aware that if you are asked to come to callbacks, there will be a short additional excerpt to learn - which is typically available here the Sunday prior to fall term start of classes.
The 15 minute audition consists of:
- Singing a 60 to 90 second excerpt of your selected aria or art song.
- Singing your part for the two excerpts above chosen by Dr. Weidenaar.
- Vocalizing through your range
- Singing back series of pitches after they are played for you on the piano (pitch retention)
- Sight reading (including assessing your rhythmic skill, pitch skill, and interval knowledge)
Callbacks are to see how various voices match, how well personalities mesh, and how well singers take directions – as well as to determine whether singers have the capacity and discipline to learn the assigned excerpts.
Fall 2020 Callbacks will be online - each singer will sing an excerpt, answer a few questions and complete a short assignment during their section’s meeting time.