Admission Audition Requirements
For New Bassoon Students
In order to study Bassoon at CWU, you must first audition for the music faculty. This step is required to complete your acceptance into the CWU Department of Music program. This audition gives us an opportunity to hear the level you have achieved in your musical skills and it gives you the opportunity to discuss your development with collegiate instructors. Performance entrance standards may be found at the bottom of the page. For more details about the admissions process pleas visit our Music Program Auditions & Admissions page..
For your audition we recommend the following:
- Select music which best displays your performance level.
- We strongly recommend you prepare your audition material under the supervision of your private teacher and/or music director.
- One or two contrasting solos and/or etudes. These could be contrasting movements of the same work or different compositions that best demonstrates your current skill level.
- Scales. You will be asked to play a few scales. Perform them at a tempo and rhythm that you are comfortable with as many octaves as you are able to play.
Admissions Audition Registration
Before you can audition you must register for an audition time. Please visit our Music Admission & Audition Registration page for further information.
Ensemble Audition Requirements
For Bassoon Students wishing to play in a large ensemble. Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, and Symphonic Band auditions take place during the first week of each new quarter. Fall auditions have specific materials for all who intend to play in a large ensemble. These excerpts are typically emailed directly to bassoon students by Dr. Lipori. For the fall audition schedule, and further details, please visit our Ensemble Auditions page. Auditions for Winter and/or Spring will be announced as needed. Contact Dr. Lipori for more information.
Entrance Standards, Bassoon
Transfer students who have bassoon as their major instrument will be placed at an applied level that is based on their skill achievement. Music to be studied each year will vary some, depending on the student's ability and past music learned. Below are representative samples (not a complete list), of music that will typically be studied at the college level.
"The man who thinks he can
and the man who thinks he can't are both right"
- Henry Ford
- Milde - Scale Studies
- Weissenborn - 50 Advanced Studies
- Vivaldi - Bassoon Concerti
- Galliard - Sonatas
- Dukas - Sorcerer's Apprentice
- Stravinsky - Firebird
- Piard - Scale Studies
- Jancourt - Melodius Studies
- Mozart - Concerto K. 191
- Hindermith - Sonata
- Tchaikovsky - Symphonies 4,5,6
- Prokofiev - Peter and the Wolf
- Piard - Arpeggio Studies
- Jacobi - Caprices
- Weber - Concerto
- Fasch - Sonata
- Ravel - Bolero
- Stravinsky - Rite of Spring
- Gambaro - Studies
- Milde - Concert Studies
- Etler - Sonata
- Tansman - Suite
- Beethoven - Symphony No. 4
- Mozart - Marriage of Figaro Overture