- Graduate & proposal writing prep courses during your junior and senior years.
- Up to a $2800 Research Fellowship stipend; and up to $1400 room and board support during the Summer Research Program.
- -Research Stipends are divided up & distributed five times throughout the summer.
- -Housing Stipends are divided up & distributed two times throughout the summer.
- Travel assistance to present research at local, regional and national conferences.
- Over 200 universities waive graduate school application fees and/or other opportunities for McNair Scholars. PDF list.
- Guidance through the entire graduate school application process, including visits to regional graduate schools.
- Skills review and test-taking strategies for graduate admissions exams (i.e. GRE).
- GRE description
The intangible value of networking with other first-generation and underrepresented students who understand the challenges you face as you pursue your Ph.D. degree!
Overview of Class Sequence for Students Participating in the Program
- Take MCNA 301 - Introduction to the McNair Program (1 credit);
- Take the GRE pre-test exam;
- Attend the Program Orientation; and
- Identify and set up meeting with faculty mentor to discuss research ideas.
- Take the GRE (if not yet done);
- Arrange and participate in graduate school visit(s);
- Apply to graduate schools and for scholarships/fellowships;
- Prepare research for presentation;
- Meet with McNair Staff; and
- Take MCNA 303 - Completing The Graduate School Application (1 credit)
- Take MCNA 395 - UG Research Methods (2 credits);
- Meet weekly with your faculty mentor;
- Write research proposal, submit to mentor and to McNair Office; and
- Meet with McNair Staff.
- Prepare abstract for SOURCE (discuss with research mentor),
- Follow-up on graduate school applications, and
- Meet with McNair Staff.
- MCNA 302 - Finding a Graduate School (1 credit);
- Edit and re-submit final research proposal for review;
- Meet with McNair Staff;
- Identify potential conference(s) to attend;
- Arrange graduate school visits;
- Attend SOURCE (usually in 3rd week of May); and
- Attend the McNair Recognition Banquet.
- Submit abstract to SOURCE & prepare presentation/ poster/ performance;
- Participate in SOURCE and attend SOURCE banquet;
- Attend the McNair Recognition Banquet;
- Complete online Exit Interview; and
- Finalize Graduate School plans.
- Attend GRE Bootcamp;
- Attend Grad School Prep Retreat including Etiquette Dinner;
- Participate in Faculty-Mentored Research and complete final research paper; and
- Visit grad schools.