Skip to body

Information Technology and Administrative Management

College of Education and Professional Studies

Learn more!

Bachelor of Applied Science in Information Technology and Administrative Management Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question for more information:


Not seeing what you need? Email your question to:!


What is a Bachelor of Applied Science Degree?

The Bachelor of Applied Science Degree (BAS) is a full baccalaureate program with specific admission requirements. The BAS-ITAM program uses the credits from two-year applied degrees (usually non-transferable), adds classes in leadership/management, plus the general education credits in humanities and science. The degree complements your associate degree in an applied or technical area helping you to become a leader in your knowledge area. Together with your applied and/or technical knowledge, you will gain valuable “soft,” or management skills, such as business communication, leadership and supervision, project management, customer relationship management, and professional development. This combination of technical and management skills will help make you a much sought after employee. This is a bachelor degree that meets undergraduate requirements.

Back to the top

When and where will classes be offered for this program?

  • Traditional, face-to-face classes are offered only through the CWU-Ellensburg campus. Classes are offered primarily during the daytime.
  • The program is also available as a 100% online program that provides all required courses through an online format. For reporting purposes only, online students use CWU-Ellensburg as their resident campus.
  • One class a quarter is offered through distance education through CWU-Des Moines, CWU-Lynnwood, and CWU-Everett. This provides students with a transition to online classes. The class is offered in the evening or weekends.

Back to the top

Who can enroll in this program?

Central Washington University is working hard to forge new partnerships with states throughout the U.S. Please visit: to see the most current list of states where CWU is authorized to offer fully online programs.

If your state is not listed yet, we may not be able to accept you for admission into a fully online degree program offered at CWU. Acceptance will depend on CWU gaining authorization to offer the online program in your state. The authorization process could take some time to complete. Please send us an email at to start the authorization process.

Will I be able to access financial aid?


Back to the top

Will International students be accepted to the major?

Yes and No.

International students able to live in Ellensburg and take classes may be accepted to the major if they meet the Admission Requirements. But our program does not have enough face-to-face classes to satisfy the F1 Visa requirements at any other location.

Back to the top

What are the Admission Requirements for the BAS major?

To be accepted into the Bachelor of Applied Science major, students must meet the following requirements:

  1. Completion of a two-year applied or technical degree
  2. Have earned at least 40 credits in an applied/technical area
  3. Be accepted and matriculated to CWU

A world language is not required for this program.

Back to the top

How do I check to see if any of my community college courses are equivalent to the CWU Basic Skills classes?

This website will give you the equivalent classes: Click on the General Education Equivalencies for the community college you attended.

Note: If you have a Direct Transfer Agreement AA degree (DTA) as well as your applied or technical degree, you automatically meet the basic and breadth CWU requirements.

Back to the top

What steps do I take to apply for the program?

  1. Apply and be accepted to CWU. To begin the application process for CWU, you can follow this link:
  2. Once you have been accepted to the university and they have received your final transcripts showing your completed applied or technical degree, you can apply for the Bachelor of Applied Science major at:

Back to the top

How will I meet all the General Education requirements?

Reach out to a BAS advisor to discuss your options and which courses are part of the General Education requirement and the major.

Back to the top

How many credits can I transfer toward my CWU degree?

Students may transfer no more than 135 credits to CWU, including a maximum of 105 credits of community college (100-200 level) coursework. The CWU Office of the Registrar evaluates all transfer credits based upon official transcripts. To be eligible for graduation you must complete 75 credits (at least 45 from CWU) at a baccalaureate-granting institution. Extension credit including correspondence courses earned at other schools or the military may not exceed 45 credits. At least 60 credits of upper division (300-400 level) coursework is required for graduation.

Back to the top

I have taken more than 105 credits from a two-year college (or more than 135 credits including those from a four-year college). What will happen to my other credits?

The CWU credit transfer limits relate to our graduation requirements. You need at least 180 credits to graduate from CWU. This means that a community college transfer student must take at least 75 credits at CWU to graduate. Transfer students from four-year schools must take at least 45 credits at CWU to graduate. Regardless of how many excess transfer credits you may have, you will not have to retake any CWU courses if you have already completed the equivalent courses at other institutions. However, you will still have to complete the minimum number of credits at CWU required for graduation.

Back to the top

Who will be my advisor?

Once you are admitted to the BAS-ITAM program, your advisor will be the appropriate advisor for your location. At the beginning of your program, the advisor will help you plan your program and choose your classes.

Lynnwood/Everett - Terry Linkletter,

Des Moines - Cathy Anderson,

Pierce - Luke Williams,

Mikaela Karter,

Jordan Shumate,

Back to the top

How long will it take to complete this degree?

The degree is designed to be completed in 8 quarters of full-time work. Of course, students can work part-time on the degree, increasing the time to graduation.

Back to the top

Still have more questions? Email us at:!

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.