Skip to body

Office of International Studies and Programs


Contact Us

Phone: +1-509-963-3612
More Contact Info

Central Washington University
Office of International Studies and Programs
Hebeler Hall 102
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7408

Maintaining Status

F-1 Visa Information:

As an international student in F-1 status, it is your responsibility to understand and comply with the terms of your immigration status and U.S. federal laws regarding the conditions of your F-1 visa. The conditions are as follows:

  • attend the school whose I-20 you used to enter the U.S.
  • maintain the validity of your passport and I-20 form
  • request an I-20 extension prior to its expiration date if you need additional time to complete your academic program
  • maintain good academic standing
  • maintain sufficient financial resources
  • enroll each quarter as a full-time student. This is 12 or more credits each quarter for undergraduate students and 10 or more credits each quarter for graduate students. Only one online class may count towards the minimum credit amount each quarter*
  • work no more than 20 hours per week on-campus while classes are in session
  • work off-campus only with specific written authorization from OISP or USCIS
  • inform OISP if your U.S. address changes

* Graduate students in the Master of Science -- Computational Science program are considered full-time if taking at least 10 credits per quarter. U.S. immigration regulations require F-1 international students to register for and complete a full course load (minimum 10 credits) each quarter. An exception to the full-time requirement can be made in their final quarter, in which they may be considered full-time if enrolled in 2 credits for research or thesis and as long as all other coursework has been completed and the proposal has been defended.

Loss of F-1 Status, how do I get back in status?

If you violate the immigration regulations you may be able to regain valid F-1 status. You have two options, either you can apply to the United State Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for reinstatement within the U.S. or leave the U.S. and re-enter with a new I-20.

The ability to apply for a reinstatement is extremely limited. For more details, please consult with the SEVIS coordinator or your international student advisor. 

When does my F-1 status end?

Your F-1 status ends either on the date listed on your I-20, or when you complete the last requirement for your program of study, whichever comes first. If you are considering reducing your enrollment below full-time, withdrawing from your program, or if you may be dropped from your program, please consult an international student advisor or the SEVIS coordinator prior to taking these actions as they have serious ramifications on your visa status.

The international student advisors and SEVIS coordinator are available to help clarify immigration regulations and procedures and inform students of their rights and benefits.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.