Skip to body

Office of International Studies and Programs

Give to OISP


Contact Us

Phone: +1-509-963-3612
More Contact Info

Central Washington University
Office of International Studies and Programs
Hebeler Hall 102
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7408

IPA Information

AUAP International Peer Advisors and AUAP students outside the Student Union and Recreation Center

What is an IPA?

The International Peer Advisor component of the program is required by Asia University. Within this component, each group of 10-12 AUAP students has a CWU student serving as a resource person, and a friend, to help the students get the most out of their experience here. They also help the Ellensburg and campus community benefit from the opportunity for cultural exchange. Peer Advisors coordinate and implement activities to facilitate students' interaction with Americans, both on and off campus, support and assist students as necessary with the residence hall community,asist with Cross-Cultural understanding and adjustment, encourage student participation in campus clubs, organizations, and various campus activities, and act as communication links between AUAP students and staff.

What do IPAs do?

The International Peer Advisor position requires organized, professional, and responsible individuals who are willing to take the initiative to make AUAP students' overseas experiences both educational, and enjoyable. IPAs are required to devote 19 hours a week to their duties which include:

  • Daily student interaction
  • Activity planning
  • Provide support to students and American roommates
  • Facilitate students' involvement with Americans on and off campus
  • Plan and facilitate weekly group meetings
  • Assist students with visits to the Health Center

Because student needs may arise at any time, day or night, IPAs must be flexible in how and when the 19 hours of work are met. In order to be successful in this position, an IPA must have a genuine interest in the welfare of the students assigned to his or her group.

By becoming an IPA, you can:

  • Learn more about Japanese culture, language, and people
  • Foster leadership skills
  • Strengthen communication skills
  • Make new friends
  • Enhance your college experience

Required Qualifications:

  • Be a full-time student
  • Have residence hall living experience (at least one quarter at CWU)
  • Must reside in an assigned residence hall throughout employment
  • Attend pre-cycle orientations
  • Commit to at least one five-month cycle (September ~ mid February or mid-February ~ end of July)
  • Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.6
  • Have a valid driver's license

Pay Rate

$15.00 and hour for 19 hours per week.

For more information please contact: Asia University America Program Student Services Coordinator

International Center
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7563
Phone: (509) 963-1373

Apply at MyCWU (MyCWU > Student Tab > Student Employment > On-Campus Jobs), then search for job number 4887

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.