Skip to body

Office of International Studies and Programs

Give to OISP


Contact Us

Phone: +1-509-963-3612
More Contact Info

Central Washington University
Office of International Studies and Programs
Hebeler Hall 102
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7408

International Admissions Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

Follow the on-screen instructions on our online application found here:

Is there an application fee? Can I get a waiver for it?

Yes, there is a required $60 application fee for undergraduate students, $75 for graduate students. This fee unfortunately cannot be waived.

What is the application deadline?

We do not have a strict deadline but encourage students to submit their application and supporting documents at least 4 weeks before their desired program start date.  You can see our start dates here:

What are the admissions requirements?

You can review our admissions requirements here:

Is the TOEFL or IELTS score required to apply?

If you are from a country where English is not the native language you need to show proof of English language proficiency or apply for conditional admissions through CWU’s University English as a Second Language program and begin at CWU with English language learning courses. In some cases, you may qualify for an English language score waiver. You can see our test score requirements and English score waivers here:

Do I need to submit an SAT/ACT score?

No, SAT or ACT scores are not required if you are graduating from a high school outside of the US. You can use SAT or ACT scores for an English language waiver if you have a qualifying score of evidence-based reading/writing 530+ or ACT 19+.

If you have completed a high school completion program at a community college in the US, SAT or ACT scores are not required.

What is the tuition fee?

Here is the estimated cost of attendance for all programs:

What scholarships does CWU offer international students?

CWU offers a merit based international student scholarship. You can find more information here:

International students are also eligible to apply for the Usha Mahajani International Student Scholarship. You can find information about the Usha Mahajani Scholarship here:

Do I have to live on campus?

First year students, who are unmarried and under age 20, must live on-campus for their first three quarters, which is one academic year. All other students can choose to live off-campus or can apply to live on-campus. CWU has 19 residence halls and 5 apartment complexes on-campus. Information and deadlines to apply to live on-campus found here:

How many majors does CWU offer?

CWU has an English language learning program, 135 undergraduate majors and about 30 graduate programs. You can explore our programs online:

What type of activities does CWU offer?

With over 125 student clubs, organizations and sports teams to get involved with here at CWU, students can always find something to do outside of class. We have an Astronomy Club and Stargazing parties, Robotics club, ultimate Frisbee and tennis club, cultural clubs and a very active International Student Club, as well as, musical performances, concerts, free Movie Mondays, and rock climbing.

Can international students use the study abroad program?

Yes. All students at CWU may apply to study abroad programs.

Can international students work on campus?

Yes. Per F1 visa regulations students can work on-campus a maximum of 20 hours per week when class is in session. Students are not allowed to work off-campus without prior approval from the International Office.

How many international students are currently enrolled at CWU?

At present, international students make up approximately 4% of the student body. Students come from about 55 countries.

I have other questions not answered here. To whom should I direct them?

Questions not answered here can be directed to

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.