Skip to body

Office of International Studies and Programs

Give to OISP


Contact Us

Phone: +1-509-963-3612
More Contact Info

Central Washington University
Office of International Studies and Programs
Hebeler Hall 102
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7408

I-20 Extension

If you will not complete the requirements of your academic program by the end date listed on your I-20, you will need to request an extension of your I-20. If you are unsure of when you will be completing your program, please reach out to your academic advisor.

To request an extension of your I-20, please email In order to extend the I-20, you will need to tell us how many quarters you will need to complete your program,  provide a graduation plan (which you can get from your academic adviser), and provide updated proof of financial support for the extended period. The amount of financial documentation you need to show depends on the length of the extension. We need to process and approve the extension before the end date listed on the I-20, so submit your request several weeks before your I-20 ends. If you do not finish your program by the end date, and do not extend your I-20, you will lose F-1 status.

If you have questions about extending you I-20, you can schedule an appointment (at Des Moines, Ellensburg, or Lynnwood).

Acceptable financial documentation:

  • Bank statements
  • Cash deposits, certificates of deposit, savings accounts
  • Investment statements
  • Business bank statements
    • Must be accompanied by a letter on letterhead stating the financial guarantor has signatory authority on the referenced account
  • Scholarship letters
  • Lines of credit
  • Government funding
  • Other liquid assets

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.