Skip to body

Office of International Studies and Programs

Give to OISP


Contact Us

Phone: +1-509-963-3612
More Contact Info

Central Washington University
Office of International Studies and Programs
Hebeler Hall 102
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7408

F-2 Dependents

A spouse and unmarried minor child (under age 21) of the primary F-1 visa holder may apply for an F-2 dependent visa. Their eligibility to stay legally in the U.S., as well as to extend their stay, is contingent upon the primary F-1 visa holder maintaining his/her legal status and extending his/her program in a timely manner.

In order to add a spouse or a child as a dependent, the F-1 visa holder will need to contact our office and provide additional financial documentation for each family member (F-2 dependent).

F-2 Regulations

F-2 dependents may study part time at the postsecondary level in any certified program at an SEVP-certified school, if the study does not amount to a full-time student. For those studying on an F-2 visa as an undergraduate, you can take no more than 11 credits per quarter at CWU. An F-2 visa holder studying as a graduate can take no more than 9 credits.

F-2 dependents may study full time in avocational or recreational studies, such as hobbies. F-2 minor children may also enroll full time schooling from kindergarten through 12th grade.

Employment in the U.S. is not an option for those who are on an F-2 visa.

Dependent children over the age of 21 are no longer eligible to be on an F-2 status and will need to change to another status such as F-1 (for full time students) if they wish to remain in the U.S.

Once the F-1 student has completed his or her studies there is a 60-day grace period during which the F-1/F-2 may stay in the U.S. Once the F-1 visa holder leaves the U.S., the F-2 dependents must leave as well.

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.