Skip to body

Office of International Studies and Programs

Give to OISP


Contact Us

Phone: +1-509-963-3612
More Contact Info

Central Washington University
Office of International Studies and Programs
Hebeler Hall 102
400 E. University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7408

On-Campus Employment for International Students at the Centers

As an International Student at CWU in F1 or J1 visa status you are permitted to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and full-time during breaks if you are pre-registered for the following quarter.

Note for student-athletes: Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) licensing may seem like an efficient way of making a little money on the side while maintaining your busy schedule, but though the NCAA is now allowing it, it is still considered a violation of your immigration status.

Finding a job:

All university positions are posted through MyCWU:

  • Use the path: MyCWU > Student Tab > Student Employment > On-Campus Jobs.
  • You may also ask about jobs at your center.
    • If a supervisor at your center does tell you that they want to hire you, you will still need to apply through MyCWU.
  • When you find a posting to apply for, Career Services can help you with your resume and cover letter in order to get the job.
  • Keep in mind that "Work Study" is a government financial aid program for US Citizens and Permanent Residents, not a general descriptor of student employment, so if a job is described as "Work Study Only", you are not eligible for that position.

If you have not worked in the US before and need a Social Security number:

When you find an employer that wants to hire you, your new employer must provide our office with a letter stating that you have been offered a job (we have a template here). The employer must print this on their letterhead with your name and information on it, and sign the letter. Take the original employer letter to the CWU offices at your center. They will make a copy and give you the original letter back, and OISP will generate a letter from your DSO, ARO, PDSO or RO. The Social Security office requires these two letters in order to apply for a Social Security card.

You will need to bring these documents with you when you go to the Social Security office:

There are several Social Security offices in the Seattle-Tacoma metropolitan area, one in Wenatchee, and one in Yakima. You can go to whichever is most convenient for you. Be sure that the Social Security office gives you a receipt for your application. This receipt is a letter from the Social Security office proving that you have applied for your Social Security card. You will need to bring this letter back to your CWU Center office to complete the final pre-employment paperwork.

For all international student and exchange student employees:

The final pre-employment paperwork consists of verifying your I-9 and completing your profile in the Glacier Tax Database. Center staff can help you with both of these. You will need to have your passport, visa, I-94, I-20 (or DS-2019), and Social Security receipt letter (or Social Security card) with you. You must complete this paperwork before starting work. You can start working once this paperwork is turned in, even if you do not yet have your Social Security number.

When your new Social Security card arrives, you need to come back to your CWU Center office so they can get a copy of your Social Security card. You will also need to go back into Glacier and provide your Social Security number and reprint your forms with your new Social Security number on them. You will re-sign your updated paperwork and turn it in to your CWU Center office. They will sent it to OISP, where we will double-check it and get Human Resources and Payroll the documents they need.

Please remember, after you have completed your Glacier paperwork, if you move, change your telephone number or make any changes in your visa status, you will need to go in and update your Glacier paperwork. Log in to Glacier, update your information, print out your paperwork, sign the forms and bring your completed forms to your CWU Center office for them to forward to OISP. Some Glacier paperwork has to be updated every year, so be prepared to update you Glacier information in December or January of each year you are at Central, to update your file.

For additional information, contact Ray Wells at or 509-963-3613.

CWU Center primary contacts for International Student Employees:

Take the Next Step to Becoming a Wildcat.